[MyAppleMenu] Feb 7, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 7 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Apple To Require iBooks 'Interest-age' For Children, Teens By June ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/06/apple-to-require-ibooks-interest-age-for-children-teens-by-june>
Mikey Campbell, AppleInsider

> To aid with content discovery and on its iBookstore, Apple will be requiring publishers to assign an "interest-age" to e-books distributed to children, teens and young adults, including titles tagged as "educational."

*** In China, Apple Will Engrave iPads — If The Words Aren't Too political ***
<http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple-china-censors-20140207,0,2377786.story#axzz2se18Qzfg>
Julie Makinen, Los Angeles Times

> Say you type in the Dalai Lama's name in Chinese characters into Apple's online store engraving service. You'll receive a yellow pop-up box saying, "The engraved text is not suitable." Other phrases that return the same error notice include "Tibet independence," "Xinjiang independence" and "Taiwan independence." ("America independence" is permitted.)

> And if you happen to share your name with Liu Xiaobo, the jailed 2010 Nobel Peace Prize winner, you're also out of luck if you want those three characters etched into your device.

*** Apple Buys Back $14 Billion Of Shares In Two Weeks Since Results ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/07/us-apple-repurchase-idUSBREA1606820140207>
Reuters

> Apple bought $12 billion of shares via an accelerated share repurchase program (ASR) and $2 billion of shares from the open market, the spokesman said. An ASR usually involves a company buying its shares from an investment bank.

*** Betaworks Rolls Out Enhanced Instapaper Safari Extension For Mac Users ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/02/betaworks-rolls-out-enhanced-instapaper-safari-extension-for-mac-users>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** iOS 7 Bug Lets You Turn Off Find My iPhone Without Authorization ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/02/06/ios-7-bug-lets-you-turn-off-find-my-iphone-without-authorization/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> Simply enter an incorrect password in the iCloud account information, then delete the "description" field. The phone then disables the "Find My iPhone" feature automatically, keeping anyone from finding the device using the iCloud tools provided by Apple.

*** How To Stretch Your iPhone's Battery As Far As It Can Possibly Go ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/02/06/how-to-stretch-your-iphones-battery-as-far-as-it-can-possibly-g/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

*** Mail Pilot For Mac Review: Email Client Charts A Course For Maximum Productivity ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2094322/mail-pilot-for-mac-review-email-client-charts-a-course-for-maximum-productivity.html#tk.rss_all>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

*** iCloud: The Anti-Social Network ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14490?rss>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

> So don’t look to iCloud as it evolves for best of breed collaborative software, for media sharing flexibility, for services that foster and promote community. Apple has always been a <i>personal</i> computer company; group hugs are not in its DNA.

> Steve Jobs was famously self-centered. It seems obvious in retrospect that his vision of networked computing, carried back to Apple from his years in the wilderness, would be similarly self-centered. Steve may be gone, but his singular vision lives on: it’s Apple’s strategy for the next decade.

*** Flappy Bird Is Proof That No One Knows What The Audience Wants ***
<http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/5/5382450/flappy-bird-is-proof-that-no-one-knows-what-the-audience-is-looking>
Charles Pratt, Polygon

*** Book Review: ‘All Joy And No Fun: The Paradox Of Modern Parenthood’ By Jennifer Senior ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/book-review-all-joy-and-no-fun-the-paradox-of-modern-parenthood-by-jennifer-senior/2014/02/06/f2d7842c-8934-11e3-916e-e01534b1e132_story.html>
Marisa Bellack, Washington Post

> “The very purest form of birth control ever devised.” That’s how one UCLA researcher described his study documenting the day-to-day lives of 32 middle-class families through video footage that captured all the fights between couples, all the negotiations between parents and their kids.

> The same could be said for parts of Jennifer Senior’s new book. Like the 2010 New York magazine article it grew out of, “All Joy and No Fun” explores how children affect their parents and why decades of social science show that parents aren’t any happier, and in some cases are less happy, than people without kids.

*** Is The Literary World Elitist? ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/02/07/is_the_literary_world_elitist/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> What readers who take offense at unfamiliar words and challenging books are telling us about our culture.

*** Teen Spirit ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2004/02/teen_spirit.html>
Fred Kaplan, Slate