[MyAppleMenu] Feb 4, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 4 18:59:01 EST 2014

*** Paper Will Make You Want To Read News On Facebook ***
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/524171/paper-will-make-you-want-to-read-news-on-facebook/>
Rachel Metz, Technology Review

> A new mobile app from Facebook shows that the company wants to be more than a place to see content from friends. Called Paper, the app cleverly blends social networking and news reading.

Also: <a href="http://techland.time.com/2014/02/03/facebook-paper-app/">Facebook’s Paper App for iPhone Is the Future of Facebook</a> (Harry McCracken, Time)

*** Apple Quietly Builds New Networks ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304851104579361201655365302?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304851104579361201655365302.html>
Drew Fitzgerald And Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> Snapping up Internet infrastructure supports all those pursuits at once. Apple is signing long-term deals to lock up bandwidth and hiring more networking experts, steps that companies like Google Inc. and Facebook Inc. have already taken to gain more control over the vast content they distribute.

*** Why Is Apple Being So Nostalgic? ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/currency/2014/02/why-is-apple-being-so-nostalgic.html>
Yukari Iwatani Kane, New Yorker

> Although the company’s C.E.O., Tim Cook, insists otherwise, Apple seems more eager to talk about the past than about the future. Even when it refers to the future, it is more intent on showing consumers how it hasn’t changed rather than how it is evolving. The thirtieth anniversary of the Macintosh—and the “1984” ad—is not just commemorative. It is a reminder of what Apple has stopped being.

*** Writer Pro Review: Text Editor Works Well (If You Work Its Way) ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2092271/writer-pro-review-text-editor-works-well-if-you-work-its-way.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

*** Pacemaker, The First Spotify-Powered iOS DJ App, Launches In The App Store ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/02/pacemaker-the-first-spotify-powered-ios-dj-app-launches-in-the-app-store>
Joe White, AppAdvice

> Pacemaker allows Spotify Premium subscribers to load up, mix, and record tracks using music stored in the service’s huge online catalog, all from Apple’s mobile devices.

*** Adobe To Require New Epub DRM In July, Expects To Abandon Existing Users ***
<http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2014/02/03/adobe-require-new-epub-drm-july-expects-abandon-existing-users/#.UvB0mHlKNlJ>
Nate Hoffelder, The Digital Reader

*** Unread Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/unread-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> For me, Unread provides a better reading, syncing, and sharing experience than Reeder. While it lacks some of the features that Reeder gained over the years, Unread’s debut shows an app with focus, flexibility, attention to iOS 7, and the capability of scaling from dozens of unread items to several hundreds articles. Some people will complain about the lack of a compact mode to disable article previews in the main list; combined with thumbnails, I realized that this feature helps me pay more attention to articles in my RSS feeds.

*** How Did Apple Film The 1.24.14 Video In 10 Countries Just One Day? Like This! ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-did-apple-film-12414-video-10-countries-just-one-day>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

*** Apple Provides Instructions For Dealing With Recurring OS X Mail ‘No New Email’ Bug ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/02/03/tried-turning-it-off-and-on-again-apple-provides-instructions-for-dealing-with-recurring-os-x-mail-no-new-email-bug/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Makers Of Paper App Ask Facebook To Change Its New App Name ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/makers-of-paper-app-ask-facebook-to-change-new-app-name/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

*** You’re The Boss Of Me ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/books/2014/02/jennifer_senior_s_all_joy_and_no_fun_reviewed.html>