[MyAppleMenu] Feb 3, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 3 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** How To Simplify Your Files ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2092261/how-to-simplify-your-files.html>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

> Ease of finding documents isn’t the only reason to simplify your files. Greater numbers of files also make activities such as backups, syncing, disk repair, upgrading OS X, and migrating to a new Mac more time-consuming. And, needless to say, all those files take up space, which is especially significant for anyone whose Mac laptop has a low-capacity SSD.

*** Apple Celebrates 30Th Anniversary Of The Mac With Movie Shot On iPhones ***
<http://recode.net/2014/02/03/apple-celebrates-30th-anniversary-of-the-mac-with-movie-shot-on-an-iphone/?utm_source=rc_twitter>
Ina Fried, Re/code

> The company spent the actual day of the anniversary — January 24 — making a short movie. Filmed in 10 countries on five continents (over 36 hours, given the time differences), the movie focuses on all of the things people are doing with Apple products. It was filmed entirely on iPhones and edited over the past week — on Macs of course.

*** iOS Holding My Phone Number Hostage = The Worst Bug I’ve Ever Experienced ***
<http://blog.benjaminste.in/post/75389520824/ios-holding-my-phone-number-hostage-the-worst-bug>
Benjaminste.in

> Let me recap: I no longer have iPhone. My phone number isn’t associated with Apple, iCloud, iMessage, or FaceTime any more. But every single iOS device I have ever messaged in the past 5 years has my phone number cached! Every single phone will only try to message me via iMessage, not SMS. And to make matters worse, it fails <i>silently</i>!

*** How <i>When Harry Met Sally</i> Explains Inequality ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/02/how-i-when-harry-met-sally-i-explains-inequality/283517/>
Matthew O'Brien, The Atlantic

> Inequality has exploded the past 30 years, because of the usual suspects: technology, Wall Street, Harry, and Sally.

> Okay, it probably isn't fair to blame Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan for our widening income gap. But it is fair to say that <i>When Harry Met Sally</i> tells us something about why the rich have been getting so much richer than everyone else. That's high-earning college grads marrying each other—which a new paper estimates has increased inequality by <i>25 percent</i>.

*** Moonlit Landscape With Bridge ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2014/02/10/140210fi_fiction_smith>
Zadie Smith, New Yorker

*** The Master ***