[MyAppleMenu] Feb 2, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 2 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Just Mobile AluPen Twist L Stylus Review ***
<http://the-gadgeteer.com/2014/02/01/just-mobile-alupen-twist-l-review/>
Larry Geisz, The Gadgeteer

*** Apple Hit With $840 Million Damages Claim For Ebooks Price Fixing ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/1/5368098/apple-hit-with-840-million-damages-claim-in-ebooks-lawsuit>
Carl Franzen, The Verge

> The claim, filed Friday in New York by an attorney leading a class action lawsuit on behalf of ebooks customers in 33 states, stems from the US Justice Department's successful antitrust lawsuit against Apple that took place in the summer of 2013. Using evidence presented during the course of that trial last year, attorney Steve Berman begins by arguing that Apple owes American ebooks customers a bare minimum of $231 million in damages, and probably far more money than that.

*** With New Anonymous Social App Secret, The Merit Is In The Message ***
<http://recode.net/2014/01/30/with-new-anonymous-social-app-secret-the-merit-is-in-the-message/>
Mike Isaac, Re/code

> Based on the contacts in your mobile phonebook, you’re plugged into a network without establishing an identity or even a static username up front, and asked to share any and everything to that network. While initially you’re only communicating with friends, those secrets slowly trickle out to others depending on whether or not your friends have interacted with your posts.

*** The Upside To Being Let Go By Nokia ***
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25965140>
Mark Bosworth, BBC

> During the years of Nokia's decline, culminating in the sale of its mobile phone division to Microsoft in September, thousands of workers were made redundant. But the ex-Nokians have now created hundreds of new companies - thanks partly to a very Finnish level of support from the employer to its departing staff.

*** Grown-Up Clothes ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/magazine/grown-up-clothes.html?ref=magazine&_r=0>
Diane Johnson, New York Times

> When I was 19, I went to New York City, my first trip East. I’d won a Mademoiselle contest and would be one of 20 young women working at the magazine for a month in the summer. It was 1953, and I was excited but also frightened and daunted; I hadn’t been on an airliner before, and no one I knew had been to New York except my Sioux Falls uncle, Bill, a buyer for a department store. In case of difficulties, I was to call my Uncle Bill’s New York friend, Mr. Herbert Solomon.

*** Lives Of The After-Party ***
<http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/fashion/SNL-Saturday-Night-Live-Lorne-Michaels-after-party.html?src=longreads>
Paul Brownfield, New York Times