[MyAppleMenu] Feb 1, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Feb 1 18:59:01 EST 2014

*** Popular Antivirus Tools For OS X Tested, Again ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57618186-263/popular-antivirus-tools-for-os-x-tested-again/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Whether or not antivirus tools are recommended for OS X is a question that is still in a bit of flux. Hard-core Mac users often claim malware scanners offer more potential harm than good, especially given the relative lack of malware for OS X. However, this mentality butts heads with those who may not trust, or have, the abilities to avoid all potential avenues of attack on their systems.

*** Griffin Survivor Case For iPad Air Review ***
<http://the-gadgeteer.com/2014/01/31/griffin-survivor-case-for-ipad-air-review/>
Ryan Chapman, The Gadgeteer

*** Review: LifeCHARGE iPhone 5/5S MFi Approved Battery Case ***
<http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech/technology/review-lifecharge-iphone-5-5s-mfi-approved-battery-case/article/368416>
Milton Este, Digital Journal

*** OmniOutliner 4 Refines The Outlining Process ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14478?rss>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

*** Before Halo We Had Marathon -- Play Bungie's Three Mac Classics Free ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/01/31/before-halo-we-had-marathon-play-bungies-three-mac-classics/?ncid=rss_truncated>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

> Utilizing the Aleph One game engine and with the blessing of Bungie, these three classics now run on Mac, Windows and Linux.

*** M7-powered Pedometer++ Gets Major Update With New Design And Export Options ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/31/m7-powered-pedometer-gets-major-update-with-new-design-and-export-options/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple Executives Met With F.D.A. To Discuss Mobile Medical Applications ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/apple-meets-with-f-d-a-regulators-for-mobile-medical-applications/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0>
Nick Bilton and Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> A group of senior Apple executives met with directors at the United States Food and Drug Administration in December to discuss mobile medical applications, according to the F.D.A.’s public calendars that list participants of meetings.

*** Book Review: 'The Lost Art Of Feeding Kids' By Jeannie Marshall ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304149404579322981664566574>
Max Watman, Wall Street Journal

> Jeannie Marshall's memoir about cooking food and raising a son in Italy seems like the sort of work sure to recount another set piece of al fresco tables and graceful aperitifs, while the bambini eat olives and grapes and someone's grandmother teaches the author how to make pasta—but it doesn't, or at least that's not the whole story. "The Lost Art of Feeding Kids" may have a title designed to squeeze the last drop of juice from the "Fast Food Nation" orange, but Ms. Marshall has produced a surprise of a book.

*** The Saturday Poem: With Joe On Silver Street ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/01/with-joe-silver-street-helen-tookey>
Helen Tookey, The Guardian

*** Boy Trouble: 'For Today I Am A Boy,' By Kim Fu ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/books/review/for-today-i-am-a-boy-by-kim-fu.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Jiayang Fan, New York Times