[MyAppleMenu] Dec 27, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Dec 27 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** You Should Play: Crossy Road Is Basically Endless Frogger, And That's A Very Good Thing ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2863065/you-should-play-crossy-road-is-basically-endless-frogger-and-thats-a-very-good-thing.html#tk.rss_all>
Andrew Hayward, Macworld

> It's only been out a few weeks, but I'm ready to put Crossy Road into my all-time pantheon of amazing, time-absorbing iOS games. That might seem premature, but my last few weeks of frantic lane-hopping and high score-chasing have generated the same kind of pocket-based obsession that lured me into games like Orbital, Super Crate Box, and Impossible Road in the past.

*** Apple Japan Announces Annual 'Lucky Bag' Promotion For Jan. 2 ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/12/26/apple-japan-announces-annual-lucky-bag-promotion-for-jan-2>
AppleInsider

> Called Fukubukuro in Japanese, roughly translated to "Lucky Bags," the yearly custom sees major retailers and department stores sell sealed grab bags filled with popular and sometimes expensive items. Customers take a slight risk in buying Fukubukuro as they are not privy to the bags' contents, but the combined value of included goods is almost always worth more than the price paid.

*** iPhone Or iPad Not Charging? Pocket Crud Could Be Jamming The Port ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/26/iphone-ipad-not-charging-fix/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29>
OS X Daily

> If you’ve ever gone to plug in your iPhone or iPad and noticed that it’s not charging as it’s supposed to be, you might want to check the devices Lightning port. That’s because the little charger port on the bottom can be a trap for pocket gunk, and even fairly small pieces of lint or sediment can prevent the device from charging as intended.

*** Apple's Holiday Return Policy: What You Need To Know ***
<http://www.imore.com/what-you-need-know-about-apples-holiday-return-policy>
Serenity Caldwell, iMore

*** ‘Die Again’ By Tess Gerritsen ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/12/26/book-review-die-again-tess-gerritsen/zlYiP1arWPF1bUz2RFi2CO/story.html>
Daneet Steffens, The Boston Globe

> “Die Again’’ is smart and tightly strung, densely action-packed and full of canny, unsettling observations — like Rizzoli realizing over a dinner-table steak that, “Whether it comes from a cow or human, we are all fresh meat” — as well as a fascinating theory of a possible evolutionary connection between early man and leopards.

*** ‘How We Got To Now,’ By Steven Johnson ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/28/books/review/how-we-got-to-now-by-steven-johnson.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jon Gertner, New York Times

> Have you ever wondered why flash photography led to antipoverty programs at the turn of the 20th century? Or how the invention of the laser contributed to the decline of mom-and-pop stores? Of course you haven’t, because you didn’t really stop to think — wait, check that; I didn’t really stop to think — how the invention of flash photography finally allowed Jacob Riis to capture the images of dismal tenement life on New York’s Lower East Side that he had already been writing about, with little impact, for years. Or how the laser begat the bar code that, in turn, gave an efficiency advantage to stores like Target and Walmart. “How We Got to Now” is full of nifty connections like these — stories that illustrate obscure chains of causality that shaped the modern world.

*** ‘The Lives Of Others,’ By Neel Mukherjee ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/28/books/review/the-lives-of-others-by-neel-mukherjee.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Hirsh Sawhney, New York Times