[MyAppleMenu] Dec 28, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 28 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** The Slow Death Of ‘Do Not Track’ ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/27/opinion/the-slow-death-of-do-not-track.html>
Fred B. Campbell Jr., New York Times

> Now, finally, an industry working group is expected to propose detailed rules governing how the privacy switch should work. The group includes experts but is dominated by Internet giants like Adobe, Apple, Facebook, Google and Yahoo. It is poised to recommend a carve-out that would effectively free them from honoring “Do Not Track” requests.
> If regulators go along, the rules would allow the largest Internet giants to continue scooping up data about users on their own sites and on other sites that include their plug-ins, such as Facebook’s “Like” button or an embedded YouTube video. This giant loophole would make “Do Not Track” meaningless.

*** 5 Super-Useful Things You Can Do With Your Old iPhone ***
<http://time.com/3647101/old-iphone/>
John Patrick Pullen, TIME

*** "That Joke Has Everything": David Letterman, Before <i>Late Night</i> ***
<http://thestacks.deadspin.com/searching-for-the-laugh-david-letterman-before-he-was-1672723165>
Peter Kaplan, The Stacks

> The comedian who can make it on television is the one who can preside over the talk show landscape. He's the comedian who can keep things going and react to the traffic of guests sitting down on and leaving a couch; he's the comedian who represents security and durability to a network. Who knows, who even cares anymore, whether Johnny Carson is actually funny? We know that we like to laugh with him, but who knows whether he actually pushes the catch lever that leads to the joy-pain spasm? He is, more than anything, a triumphant and reassuring habit; he can react and act with the flow of the society, and because of that he's worth more than any eight sitcoms.

*** The Last Book I Loved: <i>Pen & Ink</i> ***
<http://therumpus.net/2014/12/the-last-book-i-loved-pen-ink/>
Kelly J. Baker, The Rumpus