[MyAppleMenu] Dec 19, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 19 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Apple Goes To War With The BBC ***
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11303052/Apple-working-conditions-Tim-Cook.html>
Rhiannon Williams, The Telegraph

> In an email to around 5,000 staff across the UK, Apple senior vice president of operations Jeff Williams said both himself and the chief executive were "deeply offended by the suggestion that Apple would break a promise to the workers in our supply chain or mislead our customers in any way".
> "We know there are a lot of issues out there, and our work is never done. We will not rest until every person in our supply chain is treated with the respect and dignity they deserve," he concluded.

*** Apple Increases App Prices In Russia In Response To Changing Exchange Rates ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/18/apple-increases-app-prices-in-russia-in-response-to-changing-exchange-rates/>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Microsoft Updates Bing Apps For iPhone And iPad With New Designs And More ***
<http://www.imore.com/microsoft-updates-bing-apps-iphone-and-ipad-new-designs-and-more>
John Callaham, iMore

*** Watch ABC Apple TV Channel Update Brings Full Episode Viewing For All Users ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/12/18/watch-abc-apple-tv-channel-update-brings-full-episode-viewing-for-all-users>
AppleInsider

> The television network announced the change through its website on Thursday, notifying users that all Apple TV owners are now able to watch recently aired full episodes without logging in. Prior to today's update, viewers would need to provide a cable TV or other appropriate login to watch full streaming content.

*** Review: Duet Display Brings Fast Response To The iPad-as-external-monitor Game ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2860475/review-duet-brings-fast-response-to-the-ipad-as-external-monitor-game.html#tk.rss_all>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

> Duet turns an iPad attached to your Mac into a responsive monitor, but at the cost of high computer CPU usage.

*** Airmail 2 For Mac Review: Email Exactly The Way You Want It ***
<http://www.imore.com/airmail-2-mac-email-way-you-want-it>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> If you can think of a setting you want to customize, you most likely can.

*** Family Sharing Is Convenient, But Comes With Its Own Risks ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2861024/family-sharing-is-convenient-but-comes-with-its-own-risks.html#tk.rss_all>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

> It comes with a hidden curse, though: Families that share together can have all their devices wiped together and all track each other’s locations, regardless of one’s age. One could argue these are good things when you’ve chosen to opt into Family Sharing and location sharing. But, as your faithful writer keeps stressing, you have to know the risks in order to evaluate them.

*** Apple 'Failing To Protect Chinese Factory Workers' ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30532463>
Richard Bilton, BBC

> Filming on an iPhone 6 production line showed Apple's promises to protect workers were routinely broken.
> It found standards on workers' hours, ID cards, dormitories, work meetings and juvenile workers were being breached at the Pegatron factories.
> Apple said it strongly disagreed with the programme's conclusions.

*** The Foreign Spell ***
<http://www.laphamsquarterly.org/foreigners/foreign-spell?utm_content=buffercce69&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
Pico Iyer, Lapham's Quarterly

> To be a foreigner is to be perpetually detached, but it is also to be continually surprised.

*** This “Minecraft” Community Is Saving The Lives Of Children With Autism ***
<http://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/this-minecraft-community-is-saving-the-lives-of-children-wit?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email#.nyNqWkKMY>
Charlie Warzel, BuzzFeed