[MyAppleMenu] Dec 20, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Dec 20 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Critical Git And Mercurial Vulnerability On OS X And Windows ***
<http://www.infoq.com/news/2014/12/git-vulnerability-osx-windows>
Sergio De Simone, InfoQ

> A critical security vulnerability affecting Git and Mercurial has been announced yesterday, that makes it possible for an attacker to execute arbitrary commands in the client machine. The vulnerability only affects clients running on OS X (HFS+) and Windows (NTFS, FAT).

*** How To Use Gestures In OS X Yosemite On A Magic Trackpad And Magic Mouse ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-use-gestures-control-your-mac-3466622/>
Martyn Casserly, Macworld UK

> While Microsoft has decided to implement a touch-based interface in Windows 8.1 (much to the ire of many Windows users), Apple has avoided this potential disaster and instead developed excellent solutions for OS X on its Trackpad and Magic Mouse. If you don't know about the various gestures of which these devices are capable then you're missing out on some of the quickest ways to navigate around OS X.

*** How To Create And Deploy Smart Folders In OS X ***
<http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/how-to-create-and-deploy-smart-folders-in-os-x/>
Matt Elliott, CNET

> Smart folders in OS X are one of those features that you may not bother to learn how to use, but once you do, you fail to see how you ever lived without them. Smart folders display files by search criteria you define and are updated on the fly as you change, add and remove files. The beauty of smart folders is they keep your files where they are, only showing aliases of your files. Smart folders are a supplement to -- not a replacement of -- your file structure. In fact, smart folders are an even more useful tool should your files structure lack, shall we say, any structure at all.

*** Why Apple Shouldn't Be Blamed For Exploitation In China And Indonesia ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/opinion/apple/bbc-panorama-programme-about-apple-factory-china-unfair-3591680/>
Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

> It annoyed me because Panorama has singled out Apple for blame when Apple is not the only company to be using factories in China to build its electronic products. Nor is Apple the only company to use tin mined from Indonesia in its goods.
> Apple has been singled out because it is Apple. What about Samsung and the other companies that make their products in the same factories who buy their materials from the same suppliers? Well that wouldn’t make such good TV would it!

*** The Berlin Wall, By App ***
<http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/12/19/the-berlin-wall-by-app/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Cicek Erel, New York Times

> Twenty-five years after the fall of the Berlin Wall on Nov. 9, 1989, visitors can now explore the event in a new way with Timetraveler, a digital application that integrates historical content into the live camera view of mobile devices.

*** News Cues Is Personalized News Aggregator With Potential ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/12/19/news-cues-is-personalized-news-aggregator-with-potential/?ncid=rss_truncated>
George Tinari, TUAW

*** Our Favorite Things: iOS Games ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/12/our-favorite-things-ios-games/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> I always say I am not a “gamer,” yet I seem to spend a lot of time playing games, especially on iOS. My Six Colors collaborator Dan Moren is someone I consider much more of a gamer than I am, so I asked him to join me to create this list of iOS games we have enjoyed over the past year. We hope you can waste as much time on them as we did.

*** ‘Alphabetabum,’ ‘Take Away The A’ And More ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/books/review/alphabetabum-take-away-the-a-and-more.html>
Patricia Crain, New York Times

> A good alphabet book is like a raucous playroom for language, persuading children to internalize the ABCs by turning the letters into toys. Rhymes and rhythm, metaphor and simile, alliteration, assonance and consonance — the ABC book’s verbal gymnastics match the alphabet’s inherently visual nature, making the genre not just a feast for young readers but a rewarding medium for illustrators and designers too.

*** Los Angeles, As A Pedestrian ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/travel/los-angeles-as-a-pedestrian.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Stephanie Rosenbloom, New York Times

> But just when you think walking these interminable avenues is for East Coast chumps, something makes you smile.

*** Evan Thompson’s ‘Waking, Dreaming, Being’ ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/books/review/evan-thompsons-waking-dreaming-being.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Adam Frank, New York Times