[MyAppleMenu] Dec 15, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 15 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Off To Work At  ***
<https://medium.com/@echoz/off-to-work-at-c541e469e29c>
Jeremy Foo, Medium

> It always starts with a LinkedIn message from an Apple recruiter.
> 4 years ago, that was the case when I was in my final year of university. It was such a thrill to be approached and tremendously flattered my ego to be thought of as worthy enough to work at the fruit company. I had just shipped my first iOS App.

*** OS X Tip: Increase Icon Size In iTunes, Mail And Finder Sidebars ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/os-x-tip-increase-icon-size-in-itunes-mail-and-finder-sidebars/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** How Google And Apple Make Their Taxes Disappear ***
<http://www.newsweek.com/how-google-and-apple-make-their-taxes-disappear-291571>
David Cay Johnston, Newsweek

> The ultimate goal of the big corporate tax dodgers is what tax lawyer Edward D. Kleinbard calls “stateless income”—siphoning profits out of high-tax countries in Europe, Japan and North America and moving them around under various tax treaties until they are not subject to any tax because they are being reported in a nonexistent country called Nowhere.

*** Re-thinking Steve Jobs' Thoughts On Music, 8 Years Later ***
<http://fortune.com/2014/12/14/re-thinking-steve-jobs-thoughts-on-music-8-years-later/>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

*** Apple Airs New Ad For The Holidays: ‘The Song’ ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/14/apple-airs-new-ad-for-the-holidays-the-song/>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Poem Of The Week: Bodies By Miriam Gamble ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/dec/15/poem-of-the-week-bodies-by-miriam-gamble>
Carol Rumen's, The Guardian

*** How The Smile Came To Paris (Briefly) ***
<http://www.spectator.co.uk/books/9395392/how-the-smile-came-to-paris-briefly/>
Mary Beard, The Spectator

> In 1787 critics of the Paris Salon were scandalised by a painting exhibited by Mme Vigée Le Brun. The subject was conventional enough: a self-portrait of the artist cradling her small daughter. The problem was that Vigée Le Brun was depicted smiling. You could even see her teeth. This was, as one critic put it, ‘an affectation which artists, connoisseurs and people of good taste are unanimous in condemning’.

*** Book Review: ‘Irene’ By Pierre Lemaitre ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-irene-by-pierre-lemaitre/2014/12/14/e9590918-7ef0-11e4-9f38-95a187e4c1f7_story.html>
Patrick Anderson, Washington Post