[MyAppleMenu] Dec 14, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 14 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** How Airplay Makes Apple TV A Great Gift Idea For Mac And iOS Fans ***
<https://gigaom.com/2014/12/13/how-airplay-makes-apple-tv-a-great-gift-idea-for-mac-and-ios-fans/>
Geoffrey Goetz, GigaOM

*** Book Review: ‘China 1945,” Mao And America, By Richard Bernstein ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/book-review-china-1945-mao-and-america-by-richard-bernstein/2014/12/12/061d0f80-4f04-11e4-aa5e-7153e466a02d_story.html>
John Pomfret, Washington Post

> It’s natural that this new sobriety should affect not simply how China is viewed today but also how its past is depicted. The best history is not written in an ivory tower, after all; it’s done with an eye on today. And that brings us to Richard Bernstein’s excellent “China 1945.”

*** In Defense Of ‘Women’s Pages’ ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/judith-martin-in-defense-of-womens-pages/2014/11/25/f0fcc3a2-645c-11e4-bb14-4cfea1e742d5_story.html>
Judith Martin, Washington Post

> Who could ever have been so blind and bigoted as to believe that only women attended parties, had children, wore clothes, lived in homes and ate food?
> Certainly not those of us who worked there. We lived with that section head because the women’s department was where the jobs were — we could see how few women were advancing elsewhere in the news business — and because it was an exciting place to work.

*** ‘Essays After Eighty’ By Donald Hall ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/12/13/review-essays-after-eighty-donald-hall/sX3oYbU6sHn4R1y1wsStdO/story.html>
William H. Pritchard, The Boston Globe

> He concludes the list by noting that “One day, of course, no one will remember what I remember.” A fine book of remembering all sorts of things past, “Essays After Eighty” is to be treasured.

*** As Good As New ***
<http://www.tor.com/stories/2014/09/as-good-as-new-charlie-jane-anders>
Charlie Jane Anders, Tor.com

*** Radio Raheem Is A Broken Record: Lessons From <i>Do The Right Thing</i> On Its 25Th Anniversary ***
<http://brightlightsfilm.com/radio-raheem-is-a-broken-record-lessons-from-do-the-right-thing/#.VIz_KBu73sl>
Lee Weston Sabo, Bright Lights Film Journal