[MyAppleMenu] Dec 12, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 12 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Tip Of The Day: How To Create Photo Collages ***
<http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/32626/tip-day-how-create-photo-collages>
Rheanne Schlee, IPhone Life Magazine

*** Mastering Apple’s Gigantic iPhone 6 Plus With Puny Hands ***
<http://readwrite.com/2014/12/11/iphone-6-plus-small-hands-accessories>
Adriana Lee, ReadWrite

> Despite tiny hands and normal-size pockets, I’ve managed just fine with Apple’s “embiggened" new iPhone. No hand cramps. No finger spasms. Believe it or not, I can even use most features with one hand.
> If you’re wondering what dark magic this is, let me fill you in on my secret: A couple of cheap add-ons have made all the difference, transforming the super-sized phone from ridiculous gizmo to one of the most useful, usable Apple mobile devices I’ve ever relied on.

*** Protesters Storm Apple Campus Urging Better Working Conditions For Service Workers ***
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_27118886/protesters-storm-apple-campus-urging-better-working-conditions>
Julia Love, San Jose Mercury News

> Rallied by United Service Workers West and the Rev. Jesse Jackson, more than 100 people gathered at Apple's Cupertino headquarters to draw attention to the valley's broad use of contract workers, who carry out many tasks on corporate campuses but often make a fraction of what tech workers do. During a brief but lively demonstration, protesters dressed in plastic purple ponchos milled outside in the rain, breaking out frequently into call-and-response chants.

*** Apple’s Online Store Starts Accepting PayPal ***
<http://recode.net/2014/12/11/apples-online-store-starts-accepting-paypal/>
Jason Del Rey, Re/code

> Previously available as a payment option only in Apple’s app and content stores, PayPal is now accepted at the company’s online retail store as well.

*** Canada Competition Watchdog Probing Apple Mobile Carrier Deals ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/11/us-apple-canada-idUSKBN0JP23H20141211?irpc=932>
Reuters

> Canada's Competition Bureau is investigating allegations that Apple Inc's Canadian unit used anti-competitive clauses in contracts with domestic wireless carriers, the watchdog said on Thursday.
> The bureau said no wrongdoing by Apple's Canadian arm has been found so far, without stating who made the allegations.

*** Best New Apps: Workflow ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/11/7377917/best-new-apps-workflow>
Sean O'Kane, The Verge

> Workflow lets you program seemingly endless chains of instructions that can do everything from simple actions like "tweet what song you're playing" to gathering the addresses of all of your day's meetings in an email.

*** Safari 8.0.2, 7.1.2, And 6.2.2 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15289?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

*** Apple Considered This Video Game Image 'Pornographic' ***
<http://kotaku.com/apple-considered-this-video-game-image-pornographic-1670040744>
Nathan Grayson, Kotaku

> Apple's history of prudishness in the face of nudity is hardly anything new, but it really sucks to see overreaching policies de-fang provocative games like massively acclaimed indie hit Papers, Please. The emotionally exhausting immigration sim's nudity made players uncomfortable. I thought it was important.

*** Apple Now Requires Cases Protect Devices From 1M Drops, Meet New Environmental Standards ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/11/apple-mfi-case-standards/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple recently started requiring case manufacturers in its Made for iPhone (MFi) licensing program follow new requirements that will ensure cases better protect Apple devices and cover glass from impact, according to sources with knowledge of the new guidelines.

*** DiskWarrior 5 Brings Faster Speeds To Disk Repair ***
<http://www.imore.com/diskwarrior-5-brings-faster-speeds-disk-repair>
Chuong H Nguyen, iMore

*** ScreenFlow 5: Record Mac And iOS Screens ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15284?rss>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

> ScreenFlow isn’t just a capture aid. Its core is a track-based editor that enables you to create extremely sophisticated demonstrations.

*** Apple Reverses Course, Allows Transmit To Reinstate 'Send To' Feature ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/12/11/apple-reverses-course-on-transmit/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> Though PCalc and Transmit have been allowed to retain their functionality, other apps like Neato, Drafts, and Launcher have not been so lucky.

*** Marginalia’s Moment: Philip Roth, Don DeLillo And The Joys Of Writing In Books ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/12/12/marginalias_moment_philip_roth_don_delillo_and_the_joys_of_writing_in_books/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> It's time to stop fetishizing books as sacred objects and start happily defacing them.

*** Do You Know What Happens At The End Of The Goldfinch? ***
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/11288812/Do-you-know-what-happens-at-the-end-of-The-Goldfinch.html>
Charlotte Runcie, The Telegraph

> Authors themselves may be horrified to learn that the heartbreaking denouement they slaved over for months has been skipped by their readers. But they have to earn the right to our sustained attention, and we’re perfectly entitled to disagree with them about when to cut and run. Sometimes the result is better all around.

*** Future Perfect ***
<http://aeon.co/magazine/society/how-the-victorians-imagined-and-invented-the-future/?utm_content=buffer1e50b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
Iwan Rhys Morus, Aeon

> Social progress, high-speed transport and electricity everywhere – how the Victorians invented the future.

*** The Tiger Who Flew Halfway Across The World For A Better Life ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30435069>
Andrew Bomford, BBC