[MyAppleMenu] Dec 10, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 10 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** How To Annotate Your Documents With Mail's Markup Feature ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2857773/how-to-annotate-your-documents-with-mails-markup-feature.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** The Paranoid Person's Guide To A Complete Mac Backup ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2855735/the-paranoid-persons-guide-to-a-complete-mac-backup.html#tk.rss_all>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

> Consider what it would mean to lose some irreplaceable photos, for instance. Or the please-let-me-keep-my-job presentation that you’ve been pulling together for months. Or your financial data. Being paranoid in every waking hour isn’t a great way to get through life, but when it comes to backing up your data it’s nearly impossible to go too far. Here’s the multi-level plan I use to keep my paranoia at bay.

*** Ice Dancer Appears To Salvage Case Against Apple Over iPod Pricing ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/12/09/ice-dancer-appears-to-salvage-case-against-apple-over-ipod-pricing/>
Wall Street Journal

> Bennett told the court how she learned to skate backwards and used iPods while skating. Attorneys questioned her about when she purchased the devices. The iPod Nano she bought in late 2006 appeared to qualify her as a class member.

*** Disk Alarm For Mac Review ***
<http://www.imore.com/disk-alarm-mac>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> You run it and it'll warn you before space becomes a problem. You tell Disk Alarm how much space is too little — a slider lets you select how much or how little of the available space will set off the warning.

*** iOS 8.1.2 released, will keep your ringtones from vanishing ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/12/ios-8-1-2-released-will-keep-your-ringtones-from-vanishing/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> This one looks pretty minor—the only listed bug fix is for an issue that could cause ringtones purchased through iTunes to disappear from your device.

*** Out Of Touch ***
<http://oleb.net/blog/2014/12/apple-out-of-touch/>
Ole Begemann

> Apple’s remarkable track record of bad decisions in the past few months makes me wonder if management has completely lost touch with reality.

*** Wakie’s Alarm Clock That Lets You Get Woken Up By Strangers Is Now Available For iPhone ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/12/10/wakies-alarm-clock-lets-get-woken-strangers-now-available-iphone/>
Ben Woods, The Next Web

*** Review: Seek Thermal Camera For iOS Gives Your iPhone Predator Vision ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/09/review-seek-thermal-inc-seek-thermal-camera-for-ios/>
Jeremy Horwitz, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple's Lawyer Accuses The Media Of Asking To See 'A Dead Man' In Steve Jobs Video Testimony ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/9/7364069/push-for-steve-jobs-video-continues>
Josh Lowensohn, The Verge

*** Did Apple Drop Google Maps For Good? Apple Maps Now Rolling Out On iCloud.com ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/09/apple-finally-drops-google-maps-apple-maps-on-icloud/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple appears to have finally dropped Google Maps from iCloud.com, replacing it with its own in-house maps almost two years after removing Google Maps from iOS and most of its other products.

*** YouTube’s Apple TV Gets A New Look, More Videos … And Ads ***
<http://recode.net/2014/12/09/youtubes-apple-tv-gets-a-new-look-more-videos-and-ads/>
Peter Kafka, Re/code

> The most consequential change is that YouTube videos on Apple TV will run with ads. Which also means that all of the videos that run on YouTube (most notably music videos) will now run on YouTube’s Apple TV app.

*** Launcher Followup And Thoughts On The App Store Review System ***
<https://cromulentlabs.wordpress.com/2014/12/07/launcher-followup-and-thoughts-on-the-app-store-review-system/>
Cromulent Labs

> Several years later, Apple continues to drag their feet in this area and it’s hard to pinpoint the reason. It could stem from Apple’s notorious culture of secrecy and the fact that they like to play their cards close to their chest. Maybe it’s simply just a lack of priority and focus on their part. Or perhaps the unbridled success of the App Store clouds how much better it could be with clearer and improved communication with its developers.

*** Regarding The Latest App Store Rejections ***
<http://www.joecieplinski.com/blog/2014/12/09/regarding-the-latest-app-store-rejections/>
Joe Cieplinski's Blog

> This time it’s different, though. This time, there’s clearly a conflict <i>within</i> Apple going on. I simply can’t believe that Craig Federighi’s team built all those wonderful new APIs into iOS 8 and didn’t intend for us to do anything interesting with them.

*** The Churchill Factor: How One Man Made History By Boris Johnson – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/dec/10/the-churchill-factor-how-one-man-made-history-boris-johnson>
Ian Jack, The Guardian

> Why is Boris Johnson publishing a breezy book about Churchill? The answer depends on your view of his political calculation.

*** From A Slim Book, Many Observations ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/10/books/slant-six-erin-belieus-latest-poetry-collection.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Dwight Garner, New York Times