[MyAppleMenu] Dec 9, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 9 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** PM Abe Says Apple To Build Big R&D Center In Japan: Media ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/09/us-apple-japan-idUSKBN0JN10Y20141209?irpc=932>
Teppei Kasai, Reuters

> Apple Inc will build a large research and development facility in Japan, Prime Minister Abe Shinzo said on Tuesday, local media reported.

*** Olloclip 4-In-1 iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Lens Review: A Sure Shot ***
<http://www.tomsguide.com/us/olloclip-4-in-1-iphone-6,review-2538.html>
Sam Rutherford, Tom's Guide

> Olloclip's new 4-in-1 Lens for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus delivers its trademark image and build quality, now for both front and rear cameras.

*** Meet Apple's iPhone App Of The Year: Elevate ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2014/12/08/meet-apples-iphone-app-of-the-year--elevate/19951673/>
Jefferson Graham, USA Today

> "We want to zero in on each person's struggles and help them get to a better place," he says.
> The "personal trainer for the brain" app is already in a great place.
> Just over a half-year old, it's been downloaded 5 million times, and Monday Apple named it best free iPhone app of the year in its annual look back at the year's app highlights.

*** Apple iPod Trial Will Continue Despite No Plaintiff In Case ***
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_27094683/apple-ipod-trial-continue-no-plaintiff-itunes>
Julia Love, San Jose Mercury News

> U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers threw plaintiffs lawyers a curve ball Monday afternoon, rejecting their lone class representative because she did not purchase an iPod covered by the case. Plaintiffs will have until Tuesday to present another person who can represent the roughly 8 million iPod owners included in the class, plaintiffs lawyer Bonny Sweeney said. The consumer would then be questioned by Apple lawyers to ensure he or she belongs in the case.

*** Star Walk 2 Updated With New 'Planets' Info Pack And Other Enhancements ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/12/star-walk-2-updated-with-new-planets-info-pack-and-other-enhancements>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** The Dark Side Of Apple’s Two-factor Authentication ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apple/2014/12/08/lost-apple-id-learnt-hard-way-careful-two-factor-authentication/>
Owen Williams, The Next Web

> Apple support told me that the security lock doesn’t expire, so there’s no way to get around requiring the key, even though its support site says you can use trusted devices. You’re simply not given that option when your account is locked.
> What’s perplexing is it wasn’t even technically my fault. Someone tried to guess their way into my account and it was locked as a result; I didn’t do anything wrong, yet I was entirely locked out because I couldn’t find the key.

*** My Favorite Things: Mac Apps ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/12/my-favorite-things-mac-apps/>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

> Since it’s the end of the year, I figured, why not mention a bunch of Mac apps that I use every day? If there were a gift-giving holiday coming up, you could even use that as an excuse to buy them.

*** Typo Ships New iPhone 6 Keyboard, Plans iPad Product For Next Year ***
<http://recode.net/2014/12/08/typo-ships-new-iphone-6-keyboard-plans-ipad-product-for-next-year/>
Ina Fried, Re/code

> Typo, the Ryan Seacrest-backed iPhone keyboard, has returned with an iPhone 6 keyboard it says is designed to avoid incurring the legal challenges that forced the company’s first product off the market.

*** News Organizations Fight To Release Steve Jobs Deposition Video ***
<http://www.cnet.com/news/news-organizations-fight-to-release-steve-jobs-deposition-video/>
Nick Statt, CNET

> Some of the last video footage taken of the late Apple co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs shown in antitrust court last week may see the light of day after lawyers representing the Associated Press, Bloomberg and CNN filed a motion with the court to have it released.

*** Transmit Update Removes Uploading To iCloud At Apple's Request ***
<http://www.imore.com/transmit-update-removes-uploading-icloud-apples-request>
Dan Thorp-Lancaster, iMore

> Along with bug fixes, Panic, the developers behind Transmit, had to remove the app's ability to send files to other services, including iCloud, because of a conflict with Apple's guidelines.

*** New MasterCard Ad Features Apple Pay And Gwen Stefani ***
<http://www.imore.com/mastercard-debuts-new-apple-pay-ad-featuring-gwen-stefani>
Dan Thorp-Lancaster, iMore

> The ad features Gwen Stefani firing off prizes from a cannon toward unsuspecting cardholders as they buy things using their MasterCards with Apple Pay.

*** Handoff Versus iCloud Sync, Explained ***
<http://www.imore.com/handoff-vs-sync-explained>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> Sync has no real concept of when or where. Handoff, for security and privacy reasons, very much does. Sync is great if you just want to make sure all your stuff is backed up and available anytime, anywhere. But Handoff is better when you want to continue what you're doing right now, right where you are.

*** The Magician's Land By Lev Grossman Review ***
<http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/12/the-magicians-land-by-lev-grossman-review.html>
Edward Austin Hall, Paste

> The ways he remakes themes familiar from such 20th-century classics as “The Library of Babel” leaves me with one ineluctable truth: Lev Grossman is our Borges.

*** ‘All My Puny Sorrows’ By Miriam Toews ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/12/09/book-review-all-puny-sorrows-miriam-toews/uuMZyz00DvEP2bvK4aajiM/story.html>
Laura Collins-Hughes, The Boston Globe

> “All My Puny Sorrows” is about many things, including the right to die and the ruinous legacy of suicide. But it is ultimately about learning the very tricky art of survival: how to go on, arm in arm, leaning hard on each other to struggle through.

*** All Beans, No Tomatoes ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article12031401.aspx>
Rachel Pieh Jones, The Smart Set