[MyAppleMenu] Dec 8, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 8 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Boom 2.0 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15278?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> The equalizer has been improved with precise Frequency Constrain controls that enable you to adjust minute aspects of bass, mid, and treble frequency bands.

*** Apple Posts “Best Of 2014″ App Store And iTunes Store Lists ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-posts-best-of-2014-app-store-and-itunes-store-lists/>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

> Apple has today published their "Best of 2014" iTunes and App Store lists, which include editorial picks for the best releases in apps, music, movies, TV shows, books and podcasts from 2014.

*** Paper By FiftyThree Updated With New 'Colorful' Features And Mix Social Improvements ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/12/paper-by-fiftythree-updated-with-new-colorful-features-and-mix-improvements>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Microsoft Word For iOS Review: This Classic Word Processor Shines On Every Device ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2856392/microsoft-word-for-ios-review-this-classic-word-processor-shines-on-every-device.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> While the free version is has some limitations, the differences between Word’s free and subscription-based versions are subtle and many users may not feel the pinch of the free app’s limitations. In short, if your word processing life consists of creating documents with standard text formatting, including selecting and changing a document’s paragraph formatting, adding and making basic changes to tables and charts, and merely viewing changes and making editing updates in change tracked documents, the free version will work perfectly for you.

*** Microsoft PowerPoint For iOS Review: Presenter View Feature Makes The Subscription Version Worth It ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2856185/microsoft-powerpoint-for-ios-review-presenter-view-feature-makes-the-subscription-version-worth-it.html#tk.rss_all>
Macworld

> If, on the other hand, you approach it as a free tool, you get a perfectly nice, if limited, iOS app that can view, create, edit, and present native PowerPoint documents. That's nothing to sneeze at, considering how difficult it was to do any of that just nine months ago—and free is free, after all. But anyone wanting to do serious editing or use Presenter View will want to spring for a subscription.

*** Microsoft Excel For iOS Review: Create And Edit Spreadsheets On Any Device, At No Cost ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2856121/microsoft-excel-for-ios-review-create-and-edit-spreadsheets-on-any-device-at-no-cost.html#tk.rss_all>
Macworld

> But everything else I tried worked just fine. Creating, modifying, saving, printing… whatever the task, the free version never complained or cajoled me. I was able to see an upgrade box only when I went to modify a chart I had created; beyond that, the free version was functionally equivalent to the paid version I was using on another iPad.

*** Apple's First Employee: The Remarkable Odyssey Of Bill Fernandez ***
<http://www.techrepublic.com/article/apples-first-employee-the-remarkable-odyssey-of-bill-fernandez/>
Jason Hiner, TechRepublic

> Perhaps best known as the guy who introduced Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, Bill Fernandez speaks out on Apple's founding magic, how love built the first Mac, and the interface of the future.

*** Apple Debuts New iPad Air 2 TV Ad 'Change' With New Website Section ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/12/07/apple-new-ipad-air-2-tv-ad-change/>
Richard Padilla, MacRumors

> The ad shows the tablet being used by artists, motorcycle enthusiasts, photographers, and schoolteachers as its full-screen visuals shrink to resemble the form of the device itself.

At a certain point in the video, I did had a momentary concern that something was wrong with my YouTune player.

*** Why Poor People Stay Poor ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2014/12/linda_tirado_on_the_realities_of_living_in_bootstrap_america_daily_annoyances.html>
Linda Tirado, Slate

> Because our lives seem so unstable, poor people are often seen as being basically incompetent at managing their lives. That is, it’s assumed that we’re not unstable because we’re poor, we’re poor because we’re unstable. So let’s just talk about how impossible it is to keep your life from spiraling out of control when you have no financial cushion whatsoever. And let’s also talk about the ways in which money advice is geared only toward people who actually have money in the first place.

*** Starbucks Wants To Be The Next Fancy Hipster Coffee Shop. And That Could Be A Good Thing ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/08/starbucks-reserve-fancy-hipster-coffee-shop>
Chérmelle Edwards, The Guardian