[MyAppleMenu] Dec 6, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Dec 6 18:59:01 EST 2014

*** Backup Scheduler For Time Machine (For Mac) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2473160,00.asp>
William Fenton, PC Magazine

> With this simple utility, users can modify Time Machine's backup intervals (from once every ten minutes to once per week), stipulate the circumstances when backups occur, and create combined backup schedules.

*** Apple’s iPod Touch Is King Of The Crumbling Portable Media Castle ***
<http://www.geek.com/apple/apples-ipod-touch-is-king-of-the-crumbling-portable-media-castle-1611036/>
Russell Holly, Geek.com

> For the most part, these users exist between the ages of 9 and 13, and this year for Christmas I find myself with three of them. After doing some extensive research, I was surprised to find that not only is Apple’s aging iPod touch the best option out there still, but it’s basically the only option being made specifically to serve this group of users.

*** Apple Entering A 'Whack-a-mole' Era Of Malware Defense ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-entering-a-whack-a-mole-era-of-malware-defense/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61>
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet

> Apple's 'whack-a-mole' approach to security threats is leaving enterprises vulnerable to new variants of exploits underlying the WireLurker and Masque Attack malware, claims a security firm.

*** Xcode Consolation ***
<http://indiestack.com/2014/12/xcode-consolation/>
Daniel Jalkut, Indie Stack

> If you were sitting in my office on a typical workday, looking over my shoulder, that would be a little creepy. But one thing you’d notice that differentiates me from many others is the amount of time I spend typing into the Xcode debugger console.

*** Manual, A Powerful Camera App Designed For iOS 8, Receives Its First Big Update ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/12/manual-a-powerful-camera-app-designed-for-ios-8-receives-it-first-big-update>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

*** Code Of Ages ***
<https://medium.com/backchannel/my-computer-language-is-better-than-yours-58d9c9523644>
Scott Rosenberg, Medium

> Go and Swift take another step up the programming-language ladder.

*** Court Denies Apple Appeal In Worker Class-Action Suit ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2473216,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121>
Damon Poeter, PC Magazine

> Apple has been denied its appeal to toss out a class-action lawsuit brought by current and former California-based Apple Store and corporate employees who claim the consumer electronics giant denied them legally required breaks during work.

*** Five Fixes For OS X 10.10 Yosemite ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15273?rss>
TidBITS

> OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite has been out for a bit now, though, and while it is working fine for many people, there are still a variety of complaints making the rounds on the Internet. Here then is a collection of five problems and solutions (or at least workarounds) that we’ve either experienced or had reported to us.

Wi-fi, Finder, and Safari performances are among those discussed.

*** Changes Without Notice ***
<http://www.smartpopbooks.com/changes-without-notice/>
Angelina Adams, Smart Pop Books

> By reading one book, my life had taken a direction and been filled with people I never could have imagined. Those offhand words weren’t just a clever disregard for the effect time has on a physical appearance; “the rest changes without notice” was life. Without my noticing what was happening, Anne managed to reach out and make profound changes in my life.

*** Playful And Serious? 'How To Be' Is Both ***
<http://www.npr.org/2014/12/06/368446933/playful-and-serious-how-to-be-is-both>
Heller McAlpin, NPR

> Can a book be both linguistically playful and dead serious? Structurally innovative and reader-friendly? Mournful and joyful? Brainy and moving? Ali Smith's <i>How To Be Both</i>, which recently won the prestigious, all-Brit two-year-old Goldsmiths prize for being a truly novel novel, is all of the above — and then some.

*** ‘Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story,’ By Rick Bragg ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/books/review/jerry-lee-lewis-his-own-story-by-rick-bragg.html?ref=review>
Stephen King, New York Times