[MyAppleMenu] Dec 5, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 5 18:59:01 EST 2014

*** The Battery Project FruitJuice (For Mac) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2473072,00.asp>
William Fenton, PC Magazine

> The Battery Project's FruitJuice utility gives voice to that languishing battery and helps to improve longevity by providing daily usage targets.

*** How To Mount And Manage Non-native File Systems In OS X With FUSE ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac-software/how-to-mount-and-manage-non-native-file-systems-in-os-x-with-fuse-3589766/>
Topher Kessler, Macworld UK

> Mac OS X supports a handful of common file systems--HFS+, FAT32, and exFAT, with read-only support for NTFS. It can do this because the file systems are supported by the OS X kernel. Formats such as Ext3 for Linux systems are not readable, and NTFS can't be written to. But that doesn't mean that there aren't occasions when you'd want to use one of them. With FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) you can.

*** Apple Removes Sexually-explicit 'After School' App ***
<http://www.livingstondaily.com/story/news/education/livingston-county/2014/12/04/after-school-app-removed/19906429/>
Amanda Whitesell, Lingston Daily

> Actions taken by Apple to remove an app that's turned some Livingston County students into victims of cyberbullying proves the company values education, Pinckney Community Schools Superintendent Rick Todd said.

*** Apple iPod Suit May Lack One Thing: A Plaintiff ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/class-action-suit-against-apple-may-lack-one-thing-a-plaintiff/?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> A class-action lawsuit is usually meant to represent a group of people believed to have been harmed in some way. Now, in an odd twist in the class-action trial involving iPods here in a federal courthouse, Apple’s lawyers are questioning whether there are any plaintiffs or a case at all.

*** AOL Releases Yo-like Messaging App Pip For Sending Short Preset Messages ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/12/aol-releases-yo-like-messaging-app-pip-for-sending-short-preset-messages>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Ask The iTunes Guy: Ripping CDs In 2014, Streaming Music From Mac To Stereo ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2855192/ask-the-itunes-guy-ripping-cds-in-2014-streaming-music-from-mac-to-stereo.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> I address the increasingly common problem of ripping a CD when your Mac doesn’t have an optical drive. I discuss two ways of streaming music from a Mac to a stereo. I examine the quirky way iTunes Match won’t let you sync music files from your iTunes library. And I look at an issue with playback options for TV shows in iTunes 12.

*** Apple To Host 'Hour Of Code' Workshops At Retail Stores ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-raises-computer-science-education-week-awareness-hour-code-workshops-retail-stores>
Chuong H Nguyen, iMore

> Apple is partnering with Code.org again this year to promote Computer Science Education Week by using its retail stores to host free "Hour of Code" programming workshops on December 11, 2014.

*** Instapaper 6.1 Brings Redesigned Share Extension ***
<http://www.macstories.net/ios/instapaper-6-1-brings-redesigned-share-extension/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Today, betaworks has released Instapaper 6.1, which makes the extension less obtrusive by dropping the modal approach that was adopted from the popular Instapaper Bookmarklet and that also brings support for Handoff and a new unread count badge.

*** Eddy Cue: iTunes DRM Made Apple A Success Where Microsoft Had Failed ***
<http://www.imore.com/eddy-cue-itunes-drm-made-apple-success-where-microsoft-had-failed>
Chuong H Nguyen, iMore

> Cue said that Apple had explored the possibility of opening up its FairPlay DRM for competitors to use from the beginning, but it was obligated to protect against hacks by its deals with the record labels.

Also: <a href="http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/12/04/wsj-drm-class-action-suit">John Gruber</a>: The thing with Real Networks is that they backwards-engineered FairPlay in 2004, and Apple responded by closing the loopholes Real exploited.

*** Four Months After Acquisition, Square Launches iOS App For Food Delivery Service Caviar ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/04/caviar-ios-app/>
Ryan Lowler, TechCrunch

> Caviar differentiates from most other food delivery services by partnering with highly rated, mostly fancy restaurants. The company works with those restaurants to become their exclusive delivery provider, arguing that it can enable restaurants to serve new customers while providing a better quality of experience to end users.

*** The View From A Bridge ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/12/08/view-bridge>
Adam Gopnik, New Yorker

> Shopping, tourism, and the changing face of luxury.

*** The Golden Quarter ***
<http://aeon.co/magazine/science/why-has-human-progress-ground-to-a-halt/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Michael Hanlon, Aeon