[MyAppleMenu] Dec 4, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Dec 4 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Starbucks Update Brings Back The Menu, In-app Ordering For Portland Customers ***
<http://www.imore.com/starbucks-update-brings-back-menu-app-ordering-portland-customers>
Dan Thorp-Lancaster, iMore

*** 'Tomb Raider II' Makes Its iPhone And iPad Debut For $1.99 ***
<http://www.imore.com/tomb-raider-ii-makes-its-iphone-and-ipad-debut-199>
John Callaham, iMore

*** How To Change The Font In Messages In Yosemite ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15271?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> It turns out that if you select Reduce Transparency in System Preferences > Accessibility > Display and then relaunch Messages, the Text Size slider is swapped for a pop-up menu that lets you choose from the Default (which I think is the system’s Helvetica 13), Optima 12, Palatino 12, and Other. Optima 12 and Palatino 12 are holdovers; they’re default options in the equivalent My Font/Sender’s Font pop-up menus in Mavericks.

*** Skype Co-Founder Backs Wire, A New Communications App Launching Today On iOS, Android And Mac ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/02/skype-co-founder-backs-wire-a-new-communications-app-launching-today-on-ios-android-and-mac/>
Sarah Perez, TechCrunch

> Wire pairs this more solid infrastructure with an uncluttered, simple design that will likely be the initial attraction for mainstream users.

*** Apple Deleted Rivals’ Songs From Users’ iPods ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/12/03/apple-deleted-rivals-songs-from-users-ipods/>
Jeff Elder, Wall Street Journal

> When a user who had downloaded music from a rival service tried to sync an iPod to the user’s iTunes library, Apple would display an error message and instruct the user to restore the factory settings, Coughlin said. When the user restored the settings, the music from rival services would disappear, he said.

*** Type More Than 100 Words Per Minute With The New NinType Keyboard For iOS ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/12/03/nintype-keyboard-for-ios/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

*** Thwarting Twitter’s Upcoming Data Collection ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15266?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> It’s good that Twitter is letting users opt out of App Graph, but I suspect this is just the beginning of Twitter’s data-gathering efforts.

*** Byword Still Gets The Job Done ***
<http://macsparky.com/blog/2014/12/byword-i-still-love-you>
David Sparks, MacSparky

> The thing about Byword is that it just delivers. The design is solid and unobtrusive. Its developers understand iteration and avoid change for the sake of change. Byword was one of the first multi-Apple-platform text editors and continues to lead in this respect.

*** Classic Poems, Updated For The Internet Age ***
<http://thehairpin.com/2014/12/classic-poems-updated-for-the-internet-age/>
Jazmine Hughes, The Hairpin

> A trail of weather emojis, dancing in the snow.

*** What Happened To All The Music Blogs? Wild Honey Pie Embraces A New Model ***
<http://www.bkmag.com/2014/12/01/what-happened-to-all-the-music-blogs/?src=longreads>
Chris Chafin, Brooklyn Magazine

> “The secret is, nobody knows what they’re doing online,” says Maura Johnston, one of the founding editors of music blog Idolator, and, later, the music editor of <i>The Village Voice</i>. This is especially clear in music blogging, where lone people working in their spare time built thriving sites with loyal followings, only to have them destroyed by well-organized companies supposedly skilled in business.

*** The Greenroom Revolution ***
<http://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/greenroom-revolution/>
Marielle Wakim, Los Angeles Magazine