[MyAppleMenu] Aug 23, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 23 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** The Ongoing Threat Of Cold Boot Attacks ***
<http://www.technologyreview.com/view/530186/the-ongoing-threat-of-cold-boot-attacks/>
Technology Review

> Today, Jos Wetzels at the University of Technology in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, outlines the technique and discusses the various options for preventing this kind of attack. His sobering conclusion is that despite the time since cold boot attacks were first discovered, this form of attack still represents a clear and present danger.

*** Gateways To The Classical World ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/books/review/gateways-to-the-classical-world.html?_r=0>
J. D. Biersdorfer, New York Times

> Modern technology has been kind to ancient history. Scholars with iPads and other mobile gadgets can now leave the heavy books at home, opting for a variety of apps devoted to classical studies — Greek, Latin and the history of Greco-­Roman civilization — saving time and money in the process.

*** Timeful (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2463812,00.asp>
Jill Duffy, PC Magazine

> The result is an app that  helps you not only find time to do the things you want to do, but also keeps track of how often you do them, and when. The idea is that Timeful can suggest times and dates in the future when you're most likely to accomplish your tasks.

*** Who Owns Your iTunes Library After Death? ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/08/22/digital_assets_and_death_who_owns_music_video_e_books_after_you_die.html>
Ariel Bogle, Slate

> The fate of your online life after death is a sensitive topic, and one both the law and technology companies have struggled with how to handle. Last week, Delaware Gov. Jack Markell took one step toward a possible solution, signing into law first-of-its-kind legislation that will grant Delawarean families the right to the digital assets of loved ones who are incapacitated or deceased, the way they would be given access to physical documents.

*** Apple Announces Battery Replacement Program For The iPhone 5 ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/08/apple-announces-battery-replacement-program-for-the-iphone-5/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> The affected phones were all sold in the first few months of the iPhone 5's life, between September of 2012 and January of 2013.

*** Stop The Twitter For Mac Image Cache Folder From Growing Huge ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/08/22/stop-twitter-for-mac-image-cache/>
OS X Daily

*** Small Heads, Safe Ears: The Best Headphones For Kids ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2474698/small-heads-safe-ears-the-best-headphones-for-kids.html>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** Apple Extends Volume Purchase Program To Denmark, Ireland, And More ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-extends-volume-purchase-program-denmark-ireland-and-more>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> The Volume Purchase Program lets businesses and shcools purchase multiple copies of an app in one purchase. This allows them to distribute the app to multiple users within the organization, such as employees or students.

*** Hold The Phone: iMessage Spam Not All It's Cracked Up To Be ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2597429/hold-the-phone-imessage-spam-not-all-its-cracked-up-to-be.html#tk.twt_mw>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> A closer look at the numbers suggests that the iMessage spampocalypse may be a ways off yet.

*** How To Block And Report iMessage Spam To Apple ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-block-report-imessage-spam-apple>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> It takes a few steps, but rage makes them easy to get through!

*** Most Smartphone Users Download Zero Apps Per Month ***
<http://qz.com/253618/most-smartphone-users-download-zero-apps-per-month/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Dan Formmey, Quartz

*** The Saturday Poem: The Birthday ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/23/saturday-poem-the-birthday-by-michael-longley>
Michael Longley, The Guardian

*** Ghost Stories For Grown-Ups ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/book-review-robert-aickman-1408738689>
John J. Miller, Wall Street Journal

> Robert Aickman was a master of the creepy, the uncanny and the strange.

*** A Unified Theory ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/books/review/geek-sublime-by-vikram-chandra.html?ref=books&_r=0>
James Gleick, New York Times

> Must one learn computer programming, then, to qualify as literate? Of course not. It doesn’t hurt to be aware of code, though. One of these days code will be aware of us.

*** Not Giving An Inch ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/books/review/whatever-happened-to-the-metric-system-by-john-bemelmans-marciano.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Amir Alexander, New York Times

> In his entertaining and enormously informative new book, “Whatever Happened to the Metric System?,” John Bemelmans Marciano tells the story of the rise and fall of metric America. With a keen ear for anecdotes and a sharp eye for human motivations, Marciano brings to life the fight over the meter, its champions and its enemies. The 1970s bookend his narrative, but the reader soon finds the struggle lasted not a decade but centuries. And in what was to me the book’s greatest revelation, the meter — that alleged vehicle of international Communism — turns out to be American through and through.

*** Lorne Again ***
<http://grantland.com/features/lorne-michaels-saturday-night-live-40-broadway-video-empire/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
James Andrew Miller, Grantland