[MyAppleMenu] Aug 20, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 20 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Upgrading Your Mac: Moving Hard Drives From A Mac Pro To iMac ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2466591/upgrading-your-mac-moving-hard-drives-from-a-mac-pro-to-imac.html#tk.twt_mw>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Five Ways To Keep Your Student's Digital Life Safe ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2465941/five-ways-to-keep-your-students-digital-life-safe.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Parallels Desktop 10 Arrives With OS X Yosemite Support, Improved Battery Life, And More ***
<http://www.imore.com/parallels-desktop-10-arrives-os-x-yosemite-support-improved-battery-life?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Joseph Keller, iMore

*** Facebook Messenger (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2462669,00.asp>
Max Eddy, PC Magazine

> The separation seems to have given Facebook the room to stretch out and make a really great app.

*** Timeful Helps You Make Time For The Things You Want To Do ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/20/timeful-helps-you-make-time-for-the-things-you-want-to-do/>
Andy J. Williams Affleck, TUAW

> Timeful for iOS is an innovative app for managing your time, tasks lists, and habits in one place. Where most apps tackle one of the three or provide a task list feature within a calendar app, Timeful actively works to integrate the three in a way that helps ensure you make the time for the things you want and need to do.

*** iBetterCharge Review: Track Your iOS Device's Battery Life While Using Your Mac ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2463921/ibettercharge-review-track-your-ios-devices-battery-life-while-using-your-mac.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> iBetterCharge keeps tabs on your battery so you don’t have to.

*** Qwingle Is A Calendar App Built For Families And Teens ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/19/qwingle-is-a-calendar-app-built-for-families-and-teens/>
Regina Lizik, TUAW

> Qwingle, which requires iOS 7 and is available on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, is a family focused calendar app that might be just the thing you need to manage back to school schedules.

*** Apple Maps Adds 3-D Flyover Of Yosemite National Park And Wellington, New Zealand ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/08/apple-maps-adds-3-d-flyover-of-yosemite-national-park-and-wellington-new-zealand>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

*** Google Unveils A New Photo Sphere Camera App For The iPhone ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/08/google-unveils-a-new-photo-sphere-camera-app-for-the-iphone>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

> Unlike other panoramic apps, Photo Sphere Camera can capture up and down, giving you a better overall look at the entire scene.

*** Budget App Simple Adds Instant Money Transfer ***
<http://www.imore.com/budget-app-simple-adds-instant-money-transfer>
John Callaham, iMore

*** +Cue Is An Intuitive Way For Anyone To Create Music ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/19/cue-is-an-intuitive-way-for-anyone-to-create-music/>
George Tinari, TUAW

> +Cue is a unique way for anyone to create music. This even includes people with absolutely no experience with music or instruments. Including over a dozen different instrumental sounds, all you need to do is shake your iOS device to generate different pitches that integrate seamlessly with the provided beat.

*** Day One Review: A Mac App That's So Nice, You'll Actually Maintain Your Journal ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2463178/day-one-review-a-mac-app-thats-so-nice-youll-actually-maintain-your-journal.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

> At every turn, Day One does its best to get out of your way and let you write.

*** The Puzzle Of Uncollected Ashes ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28852698>
Tom de Castella, BBC

> Why do ashes go unclaimed? It may sometimes be as prosaic as forgetting or not caring about the deceased, but it may be something more emotionally stark.

*** Review: ‘The Narrow Road In The Deep North,’ By Richard Flanagan ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/review-the-narrow-road-in-the-deep-north-by-richard-flanagan/2014/08/19/0baeb134-232a-11e4-8593-da634b334390_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Ron Charles, Washington Post

> Beware Richard Flanagan’s new novel, “The Narrow Road to the Deep North.” His story about a group of Australian POWs during World War II will cast a shadow over your summer and draw you away from friends and family into dark contemplation the way only the most extraordinary books can.

*** How Many Vowels Are There In English? (Hint: It's More Than AEIOUY.) ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2014/08/19/aeiou_and_sometimes_y_how_many_english_vowels_and_what_is_a_vowel_anyway.html>
DS Bigham, Slate

> How many vowels does English have? Five, right? A, E, I, O, U. Oh, and sometimes Y. So, six? Actually, English has at least 14 different vowel sounds and, depending on the speaker and dialect, maybe more than 20.

*** How You Get Hooked On Coffee ***
<http://www.fastcodesign.com/3034455/evidence/how-you-get-hooked-on-coffee?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Eric Jaffe, Co.Design