[MyAppleMenu] Aug 19, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 19 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Hanx Writer Created By Tom Hanks Turns Your iPad Into A Typewriter ***
<http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/smartphone-apps/hanx-writer-created-by-tom-hanks-turns-your-ipad-into-a-typewriter-20140819-105nlb.html>
Tim Biggs, The Sydney Morning Herald

> Hanx Writer emulates the look and sound of writing with pre-computer technology. It offers some of the functionality of modern typing, with a few of the more charming aspects of composing a document on an analogue machine.

*** Apple Offering Free Newsstand Magazines For UK Bank holiday ***
<http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/apple-offering-free-newsstand-magazines-for-uk-bank-holiday>
Jon Mundy, Trusted Reviews

*** Apple’s iMessage Is Being Taken Over By Spammers ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/08/apples-imessage-is-being-taken-over-by-spammers/>
Robert McMillan, Wired

> Apple’s iMessage system spans across the iPad, iPhone, and Apple’s laptop and desktop systems. That fusion of the desktop and mobile world makes it particularly easy for scammers to write a Mac OS script that can send messages to all types of devices just as fast as Apple will allow. “It’s almost like a spammer’s dream,” says Landesman. “With four lines of code, using Apple scripts, you can tell your Mac machine to send message to whoever they want.”

*** What Apple's New Content Delivery Network Means For Net Neutrality, And For You ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2465366/what-apples-new-content-delivery-network-means-for-net-neutrality-and-for-you.html#tk.rss_all>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

> One can look at Apple’s CDN and direct connections to ISPs pragmatically: The company must do these things to maintain control and improve its customers’ experience, both of which are very Apple-y behavior. But from a broader public-policy and business perspective, Apple is buying into a set of unknowns: It is further entrenching a reduction in potential competition that keeps prices higher.

*** Apple Adds 21 Artists To iTunes Festival London Lineup, Including Lenny Kravitz & Ryan Adams ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/18/apple-adds-21-artists-to-itunes-festival-london-lineup-including-lenny-kravitz-ryan-adams/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple today announced several new bands and solo artists that will be appearing at the 2014 iTunes Festival in London next month along with Pharrell Williams, Maroon 5 and more for a total of 60 acts. Among the new additions to the lineup are Lenny Kravitz, Ryan Adams, and The Script.

*** How To Move Your iPhone And iPad Backups To An External Drive ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-move-your-iphone-and-ipad-backups-external-drive?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> If you sync your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch on your Mac, you know that the first thing iTunes does is back it up (unless you've told it not to). Depending on the size of your device and how much data you have stored on it, this can gobble up dozens of gigabytes of space. Did you know you can move those backups to an external hard drive? You can, and we can walk you through how.

*** Albums For iPhone ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/albums-for-iphone/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> In the increasing complexity of music streaming apps that put several layers of interface and navigation between the launch experience and listening to your favorite songs, Albums is a refreshingly simple music player that lets you search, bookmark, and play your favorite albums.

*** The Engineer Of The Original Apple Mouse Talks About His Remarkable Career ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/08/the-engineer-of-the-original-apple-mouse-talks-about-his-remarkable-career/>
Kyle Vanhemert, Wired

> Jim Yurchenco was responsible for squeezing the guts inside the impossibly slim Palm V. He helped build the mouse for the Apple Lisa, which was significant in that it was the first mouse ever used by regular people. He was the first full-time employee at the company that would become Ideo, the massively influential design firm. But before all that, he was a sculptor.

*** Book Review: 'Dear Committee Members' Is Worthy Of A Recommendation Letter ***
<http://www.newsweek.com/book-review-dear-committee-members-worthy-recommendation-letter-265343>
Alexander Nazaryan, Newsweek

> Yet in her second novel, <i>Dear Committee Members</i>, Julie Schumacher somehow manages to pull off a smart-as-hell, fun-as-heck novel composed entirely of recommendation letters written by a college English professor. Yes, this novel’s bedrock is flecked with gimmickry, but having Leopold Bloom wander around Dublin while hewing to <i>The Odyssey</i> is a gimmick. So is having a bunch of pilgrims on their way to Canterbury Cathedral declaim their tales while taking a breather at the Tabard Inn. I don’t care if the author is working with a gimmick, I just want the gimmick to work.

*** BBC Looks Beyond The Walled Garden In A Changing Media World ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/aug/19/-sp-bbc-report-news-broadcasting>
Charlotte Higgins, The Guardian

> Ninety years ago, Arthur Burrows asked: “What surprises may be in store on the other side of silence? How far will our present knowledge of music prepare us for an appreciation of nature’s eternal harmonies – the seasonal cadences of the rising and falling sap, the music of the growing grass and the lovesongs of butterflies?”

*** A World Of Creatures That Hide In The Open ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/19/science/a-world-of-creatures-that-hide-in-the-open.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Kenneth Chang, New York Times