[MyAppleMenu] Aug 18, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 18 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** TodoMovies 3 For iOS Review: For Movie Buffs Who Can't Get Enough Movie News And Info ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2465627/todomovies-3-for-ios-review-for-movie-buffs-who-cant-get-enough-movie-news-and-info.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Michael Simon, Macworld

*** Convert Various Text File Formats In The OS X Terminal With Textutil ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/08/18/convert-various-text-file-formats-in-the-os-x-terminal-with-textutil/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

*** Apple Tackles Labor Violations In Chinese Factories ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/apple-tackles-labor-violations-in-chinese-factories-7000032698/>
Charlie Osborne, ZDNet

*** Life After Death: Resuscitating A Drowned iPhone 5 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2465171/life-after-death-resuscitating-a-drowned-iphone-5.html>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

> Thanks to (I’m guessing) some time in the rice and a healthy dose of compressed air, I now have a fully functional iPhone 5, as seen in the image at right. I find this simply amazing, given the amount of time it spent 10 feet deep in a lake. So what did I learn during this incident?

*** Memory Diag Review: Keep An Eye On Your Mac's RAM ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2460369/memory-diag-review-keep-an-eye-on-your-macs-ram.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Michael Simon, Macworld

> Even with Mavericks’ smart memory management, apps can still leak precious resources, causing all but the newest Macs to feel downright sluggish at times. Memory Diag won’t necessarily take away these issues, but it’ll help you pinpoint your trouble, contain the problem and get back to work.

*** Gettin' Sticky With It: Post-it Note-inspired To-do App Stky Goes 2.0 With New Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/08/gettin-sticky-with-it-post-it-note-inspired-to-do-app-stky-goes-2-0-with-new-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** The Sweet Spot On Apple’s Racket ***
<http://www.mondaynote.com/2014/08/17/the-sweet_spot_on_apples_racket/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+monday-note+%28Monday+Note%29>
Jean-Louis Gassée, Monday Note

> After we get over the expectations adjustment period, the tablet genre will continue to be innovative, productive, and fun – for children of all ages.

*** Apple Cuts Prices Of All Beats By Dre Products By 10% Through Aug. 23Rd ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/17/apple-cuts-prices-of-all-beats-by-dre-products-by-10-through-aug-23rd/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> The 10% off discount will last through August 23rd, according to a source.

*** Apple Wins 2014 ‘Outstanding Commercial’ Emmy Award For ‘Misunderstood’ Holiday Ad ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/17/apple-wins-2014-outstanding-commercial-emmy-award-for-misunderstood-holiday-ad/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** What Does This Beloved Road Sign On The Massachusetts Turnpike Actually Mean? ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/08/18/becket_massachusetts_next_highest_elevation_oacoma_south_dakota_what_does.html>
Mark Vanhoenacker, Slate

> On this fabled portion of I-90 lurks something of a mystery: The sign above, located in Becket, Massachusetts, states that in a westbound direction on I-90, the “next highest elevation” doesn’t come until Oacoma, South Dakota.

*** How One Photographer Overcame His Fear Of Death By Photographing It ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2014/08/17/walter_schels_life_before_death_includes_portraits_of_people_before_and.html>
David Rosenberg, Slate

> The series consists of 26 people the duo photographed and interviewed while they were ill and near death. They then photographed them a second time, immediately after the subjects passed away.

*** For Big-Data Scientists, ‘Janitor Work’ Is Key Hurdle To Insights ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/technology/for-big-data-scientists-hurdle-to-insights-is-janitor-work.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Steve Lohr, New York Times