[MyAppleMenu] Aug 4, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 4 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Why Apple Should Pay More Attention To Indie Developers In The App Store ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2459976/why-apple-should-pay-more-attention-to-indie-developers-in-the-app-store.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> The ability of indies to take risks, create amazing apps, and thrive is something that Apple should fight tooth and nail to protect and promote. Without it, if you’ll excuse a bit of hyperbole, the App Store risks slowly transforming into a sad world of generic apps and freemium games intent on bilking unsuspecting customers of their money—and that’s definitely not the kind of environment I, for one, would want to be part of.

*** GoodReader 4 Review: An Excellent Universal App For PDF Management ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2460172/goodreader-4-review-an-excellent-universal-app-for-pdf-management.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Jeff Merron, Macworld

*** Keep It Reel: Record, Mix, And Release A Professional Recording On Your iPad ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2459953/keep-it-reel-record-mix-and-release-a-professional-recording-on-your-ipad.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Andrea Pejrolo, Macworld

*** Improve Your Presentation Skills: How To Make Smoother Slide Transitions In Keynote ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2458957/improve-your-presentation-skills-how-to-make-smoother-slide-transitions-in-keynote.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

*** Contexts Review: Make Your OS X Windows More Manageable ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2456432/contexts-review-make-your-os-x-windows-more-manageable.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Nick Mediati, Macworld

> Contexts 1.4 supplements—and can even replace—OS X’s window management tools, and it does so in a way that is legitimately useful, especially if you rely on keyboard shortcuts to navigate your Mac.

*** Love And Hate And A CD ***
<http://ihnatko.com/2014/08/03/hate-and-love-and-a-cd/>
Andy Ihnatko

> Due to a clerical oversight (related to the transition between the Bush and Obama administrations; just a guess), there are some albums that can only be purchased on CD. This is the brief tale of one such CD, and the two opposing emotions that it inspired.

*** You Have To Believe We Are Magic ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2014/08/the_magicians_trilogy_by_lev_grossman_concludes_the_magician_s_land_reviewed.html>
Choire Sicha, Slate

> When read straight through, the <i>Magicians</i> trilogy reveals its lovely shape. The world of the books wraps around itself, exposing most everything necessary by its conclusion, but occluding operations that we'll never need to see.

*** The Rise Of The Micro-Holiday ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/08/the-rise-of-the-micro-holiday/375487/>
Megan Garber, The Atlantic

> Holidays that take place not at the level of the mass culture, but at the level of the micro-community. Holidays that make you wonder what it means to be a holiday in the first place.

*** Six Poems ***
<http://www.theparisreview.org/poetry/5860/six-poems-charles-wright>
Charles Wright, The Paris Review

*** Poem Of The Week: The Book By FT Prince ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/aug/04/poem-of-the-week-ft-prince?CMP=twt_gu>
Carol Rumes, The Guardian