[MyAppleMenu] Aug 3, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 3 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Rinse & Repeat ***
<http://kickingbear.com/blog/archives/464>
Guy English, Kickingbear

> Put the work in. Get happy about what you’ve built. Then rip it apart and get better. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat.

*** San Francisco Airport Testing Beacon System For Blind Travelers ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/31/5956265/san-francisco-airport-testing-beacon-system-for-blind-travelers>
Josh Lowensohn, The Verge

> San Francisco Airport is testing out location-aware beacons to help visually-impaired people navigate around one of its newest terminals, a program it could roll out to the rest of the airport if successful. An early version of the system was shown off to press today for use on Apple iOS devices, though SFO also plans to make it available for Android users and eventually expand the system to serve up information for those who can see.

*** Yes, Hackers Could Build An iPhone Botnet—Thanks To Windows ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/08/yes-hackers-could-build-an-iphone-botnetthanks-to-windows/>
Andy Greenberg, Wired

> A reminder to Apple and smug iPhone owners: Just because iOS has never been the victim of a widespread malware outbreak doesn’t mean mass iPhone hacking isn’t still possible. Now one group of security researchers plans to show how to enslave an entire botnet of Apple gadgets through a perennial weak point—their connection to vulnerable Windows PCs.

*** Mobile Home Adds A Siri Button To Any Car ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/02/mobile-home-adds-a-siri-button-to-any-car/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** The Kids Who Beat Autism ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/magazine/the-kids-who-beat-autism.html?ref=magazine&_r=0>
Ruth Padawer, New York Times

> “I’ve been studying autistic kids for 40 years,” Fein says, “and I’m pretty good at what I do. But I can’t predict who is going to get better and who’s not based on what they look like when I first see them. In fact, I not only can’t predict who is going to turn out with optimal outcome, but I can’t even predict who will have high-functioning autism and who will be low-functioning. There’s so much we still don’t understand.”

*** All Over The Map ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/books/review/indonesia-etc-by-elizabeth-pisani.html?ref=books>
Joshua Kurlantzick, New York Times

> Through her journey, too, she hopes to understand not only how a country as diverse and far-flung as Indonesia — at least 13,000 islands, many with their own unique cultures — has stayed together but also why, despite having had an average income similar to Malaysia’s and Singapore’s 60 years ago, it now lags badly behind.

*** The Ones That Got Away ***
<http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/de2b9ad8-1834-11e4-a82d-00144feabdc0.html#axzz39IOZiDOM>
Douglas Coupland, Financial Times