[MyAppleMenu] Aug 2, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 2 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apple Releases New iPhone 5S Ad, Makes 'Dreams' Come True ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-releases-new-iphone-5s-ad-showing-just-how-powerful-device?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Rich Edmonds, iMore

> Apple has released a new ad for the iPhone 5s called 'Dreams'. While mobile devices are mainly viewed as personal toys as well as mobile phones, this new video shows how the iPhone 5s is utilized in numerous professional and personal situations, including both medical and fire-fighter careers, to aid said folk with their life changing work.

*** Siri Won't Let Beats Into Dr. Dre's Party In Bizarre New Ad ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/1/5961299/siri-wont-let-beats-into-dr-dres-party-in-bizarre-new-ad>
Casey Newton, The Verge

> Beats officially became part of Apple today, and the companies are celebrating with a strange new ad in which no one gets to celebrate at all.

*** Files And Initialization ***
<https://developer.apple.com/swift/blog/?id=7>
Swift Blog

> This post will explain how Swift deals with the files in your project, and how global data is initialized.

*** Beats And Apple Dispute Reports Of Layoffs ***
<http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/6203593/beats-and-apple-dispute-reports-of-layoffs>
Andrew Flanagan, Billboard

> Apple spokesperson Tom Neumayr tells <i>Billboard</i> that Apple's intention is to keep as many of Beats' employees in full-time positions as they can. "We're excited to have the Beats team join Apple, and we have extended job offers to every Beats employee. Because of some overlap in our operations, some offers are for a limited period and we’ll work hard during this time to find as many of these Beats employees as we can another permanent job within Apple."

*** With Apple-Beats Deal Complete, Ian Rogers To Run iTunes Radio ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/08/01/with-apple-beats-deal-complete-ian-rogers-to-run-itunes-radio/>
Hannah Karp and Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

*** Cooking Local ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article08011401.aspx>
Meg Favreau, The Smart Set

> An ode to the locally-produced cookbook.

*** The Social Laboratory ***
<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/07/29/the_social_laboratory_singapore_surveillance_state?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Shane Harris, Foreign Policy