[MyAppleMenu] Aug 1, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 1 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Tonality For Mac Is A Powerful Black And White Image Editor ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/01/tonality-for-mac-is-a-powerful-black-and-white-image-editor/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** Apple Officially Welcomes Beats To The Family ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-officially-welcomes-beats-family>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> Additionally, Vivendi announced today that it's Universal Music Group division had sold its remaining stake in Beats to Apple. The stake was worth about 13% of Beats, and was sold for $404 million.

*** Yep, Apple’s ‘Stickers’ Ad Gave MacBook Sticker Sellers A Huge Boost ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/yep-apples-stickers-ad-gave-macbook-sticker-sellers-a-huge-boost/>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

> Now this was not an in-depth investigation and the result is probably what you would have guessed: visits and sales rose dramatically last week when Apple's ad was released. It was the universal reaction I got from the sellers I talked to.

*** Timeful Will Trick You Into Revolutionizing Your Time Management skills ***
<http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/timeful-calendar-to-do-list-app/#!bsXaDO>
Malarie Gokey, Digital Trends

> Timeful is intended to make you schedule things, give them due dates, and get them done.

*** Yahoo Weather (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461592,00.asp>
Max Eddy, PC Magazine

> If you want your app to succeed on iOS, you'll have to make it beautiful, and Yahoo Weather (free) shines in this regard. No, I'm not talking about the built-in iOS weather app but rather Yahoo's own weather app from the Apple App Store. This app displays photos from Flickr users to stunning effect, and every panel is polished to a shine. Yahoo Weather also delivers all the critical weather information you need, but otherwise the app only really distinguishes itself, in a very crowded space, with its custom notifications.

*** Judge Examines Fairness Of Apple's E-Books Settlement ***
<http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/judge-examines-fairness-apples-e-722499>
Eriq Gardner, The Hollywood Reporter

> Are consumers getting enough? That depends on perspective.

*** How To Troubleshoot Mac Wi-Fi Problems ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2459960/how-to-troubleshoot-mac-wi-fi-problems.html#tk.rss_all>
Topher Kessier, Macworld

*** Office For iPad Updates Add PDF Exports, Better Keyboard And Font Support ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/07/office-for-ipad-updates-add-pdf-exports-better-keyboard-and-font-support/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> All four apps can now export files as PDFs, crop pictures inline, and reset changes made to pictures. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint can also use third-party fonts, presumably in addition to the Microsoft- and Apple-supplied fonts that come with iOS and the Office apps themselves.

*** Wunderlist 3 Adds Public List Sharing And Real-time Sync ***
<http://www.imore.com/wunderlist-3-adds-public-list-sharing-and-real-time-sync>
Adam Zeis, iMore

> Thanks to a redesign and some backend changes, Wunderlist 3 now offers public lists and real-time sync — allowing users to immediately see changes rather than waiting for a 15 minute refresh. Making lists public also moves Wunderlist 3 away from a personal to-do app, into a better, full-on list app with even more uses.

*** What Privacy Settings Tell You About The Profound Differences Between Google And Apple ***
<http://qz.com/241243/this-seemingly-trivial-detail-reveals-the-profound-differences-between-apple-and-google/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Leo Mirani, Quartz

*** Why The Security Of USB Is Fundamentally Broken ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/07/usb-security/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Andy Greenberg, Wired

*** Apple Opens First 'Open-air' Temp Shop In Switzerland's Glattzentrum ***
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/14/07/31/permanent.location.undergoing.expansion/>
MacNN

*** Apple’s CDN Now Live: Has Paid Deals With ISPs, Massive Capacity In Place ***
<http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2014/07/apples-cdn-now-live.html>
Dan Rayburn, StreamingMediaBlog.com

> While Apple doesn’t own the last mile, paying to connect directly to it (in some places) and delivering content from their own servers allows them much more control over the user experience, especially for cloud based services.

*** After 22 Months, The Magazine Is Changing Its Strategy ***
<http://www.fastcolabs.com/3033812/after-22-months-the-magazine-is-changing-strategy>
John Paul Titlow, Fast Company

> "The honest truth is that without a quite high level of subscribers on a consistent basis, it doesn't make sense to fund an app," says Glenn Fleishman, who bought the business from Arment in May 2013. "The amount of work required to keep pace with what Apple is doing is just not sustainable."

*** Wikipedia Goes Fully Native On iOS And Now Lets You Edit Articles Too ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/07/31/wikipedia/>
Paul Sawers, The Next Web

*** For Wings And A Prayer, And Maybe A Pint ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/01/dining/restaurants-near-hospitals-offer-real-comfort-food.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Alex Witchel, New York Times

> “He’s a new father!” I trumpeted to our waiter, who shook Greg’s hand and congratulated him. Greg drank a martini and ate a burger while it occurred to me that there is an entire subset of restaurants in New York that cater specifically to people celebrating birth, mourning death and negotiating illness, all because of where they are. I was curious to explore this notion of restaurant-as-chapel. Talk about drama.

*** The Reader As Artist, Intuitively Plumbing A Psychic Well ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/01/books/what-we-see-when-we-read-by-peter-mendelsund.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Dwight Garner, New York Times