[MyAppleMenu] Aug 5, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 5 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** iStat Menus 5 Brings New Design, Per-App Stats, Yosemite Support, And More ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/istat-menus-5-brings-new-design-per-app-stats-yosemite-support-and-more/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Apple’s Third Dutch Store Opening In The Hague On Saturday ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/05/apples-third-dutch-store-opening-in-the-hague-on-saturday/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Network Radar Review: Mac App Checks Your Network Health ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2456153/network-radar-review-check-your-network-health-with-this-mac-app.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> Like Apple’s own app, Network Radar offers many common network tools, including ping, port scan, and whois. But it doesn’t stop there: The app can quickly scan your entire network and display a list of devices on it, along with their IP addresses, what services they offer, and more. If you need quick access via services like Telnet, SSH, or HTTP, you can access those for any device by right-clicking on its entry.

*** Apple Buybacks Pay Most Ever As CEOs Spend $211 Billion ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-05/apple-buybacks-pay-most-ever-as-ceos-spend-211-billion.html>
Oliver Renick and Joseph Ciolli, Bloomberg

*** Dissatisfaction ***
<http://mattgemmell.com/dissatisfaction/>
Matt Gemmell

> That’s the lesson I learned from the Start button, and I’m grateful for it every day. It gave me <i>permission to be dissatisfied</i>, and there’s probably no greater motivation for positive change.

*** Apple Changing Gatekeeper App Signing Rules In OS X 10.9.5 & Yosemite, Could Break Some Apps ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/04/apple-changing-gatekeeper-app-signing-rules-in-os-x-10-9-5-yosemite-could-break-some-apps/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

> An upcoming change introduced in the latest Mavericks and Yosemite developers previews will require some developers to re-sign their applications and submit updates to the Mac App Store in order to get around Gatekeeper’s watchful eye. According to a technical note from Apple, any apps built and signed on a version of OS X older than 10.9 will now be flagged by Gatekeeper has not having a valid signature.

*** Ninety Days ***
<http://carpeaqua.com/2014/08/04/ninety-days/>
Justin Williams, Carpeaqua

> Do not spend more than ninety days on your 1.0.

*** How To Make Folders In The iCloud File Browser From OS X Mavericks ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/08/04/make-folder-icloud-browser-mac-os-x/>
OS X Daily

*** Manything Turns Any iOS Device Into A Home Video Monitoring System ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/04/manything-turns-any-ios-device-into-a-home-video-monitoring-syst/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

> Video security for your home or small business just got a lot easier and a lot less expensive thanks to Manything. Manything is an all-in-one home video monitoring system for iOS that allows you to stream, record, and view video remotely from any iOS device using iOS 5 or later. That means your old iPhone 3GS just became a WiFI video camera instead of gathering dust.

*** Apple Stores Commence In-store Screen Replacements For iPhone 5S ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-stores-commence-store-screen-replacements-iphone-5s?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Harish Jonnalagadda, iMore

> Apple Stores will now be able to fix the broken screen on your iPhone 5s without having to send the device out to an off-site location. The service is being rolled out to Apple Stores across the US, although at this stage there is no confirmation as to whether all locations would be able to service broken screens.

*** How To Secure And Lock Down Your Mac ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/08/04/how-to-secure-and-lock-down-your-mac/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> If you are concerned about theft, there are several ways you can ensure your Mac or at least the data on it are secured.

*** Apple Hires Angela Ahrendts’ Confidant & Former Nike Exec To Lead Social Media Efforts ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/04/apple-hires-angela-ahrendts-confidant-former-nike-exec-to-run-social-media-marketing/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** App Store Longevity And Freshness ***
<http://david-smith.org/blog/2014/08/04/app-store-longevity-and-freshness/>
David Smith

> While I would still support ensuring that customers and developers aren’t being adversely affected by the 480,000 apps which are no longer being actively maintained, the 720,000 apps that are still are under at least semi-active development will likely paint over this issue for some time.

*** MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) Review: Update Offers Slightly Better CPU Performance ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2460820/macbook-pro-mid-2014-review-minor-update-offers-slightly-better-cpu-performance.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith, Macworld

*** Sake With Your Burger? Japan Is Looking West To Save A Tradition ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/05/world/europe/sake-with-your-burger-japan-looks-west-to-save-a-tradition.html?_r=0>
Kimiko De Freytas-Tamuraaug, New York Times

> “I’d be lying if I said pairing sake with burgers didn’t hurt my pride as a Japanese,” he admitted at a recent dinner, hesitantly poking a piece of lamb kidney and sweetbreads — a first for him — with his fork. “But we need to be exploring this path to survive as a brewer.”

*** What Happens When You Enter The Witness Protection Program? ***
<http://priceonomics.com/what-happens-when-you-enter-the-witness-protection/>
Alex Mayyasi, Priceonomics

> No one in the program would label it as such, but the Witness Protection Program provides one of the more compelling social experiments imaginable. Would law enforcement consent to helping criminals? Can lifelong lawbreakers earn a living legally when given a fresh start? How does a mobster or gang member maintain self-respect when he becomes a rat? And what is it like to indefinitely live a double life?

*** Historical Fiction Can Speak Very Clearly To The Present And The Past ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/aug/05/historical-fiction-present-past-mary-renault-reading-group?CMP=twt_gu>
Sam Jordison, The Guardian