[MyAppleMenu] Apr 25, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 25 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Bugs & Fixes: Slow Wi-Fi Reconnect After MacBook Wakes Up ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2146994/bugs-and-fixes-slow-wi-fi-reconnect-after-macbook-wakes-up.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Ted Landau, Macworld

*** Review: The Weather Channel’s New iPhone App Is Gorgeously Vertical ***
<http://time.com/75293/review-weather-channel-iphone-app/>
Matt Peckham, TIME

> One of the best weather apps for iOS is now the best and most socially-engaged, bar none.

*** Delete Any Documents Stored On iCloud From An iOS Device Or OS X ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/delete-any-documents-stored-on-icloud-from-an-ios-device/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** An iPhone Engineer-Turned-Game Maker Shares His Apple Story ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/ex-iphone/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1&>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> When Francisco Tolmasky was just 20 years old and started working for Apple, he took on a challenging task: to create a rich mobile web browser for the original iPhone, back when the device was still a pile of circuits.

*** Lesson On Clarity ***
<http://inessential.com/2014/04/24/lesson_on_clarity>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

> In fact, things that are <i>truly</i> different should be treated as different, and the differences themselves should be made clear.

*** Apple, Google To Pay $324 Million To Settle Conspiracy Lawsuit ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/25/us-apple-google-lawsuit-exclusive-idUSBREA3N28Z20140425>
Dan Levine, Reuters

> Four major tech companies including Apple and Google have agreed to pay a total of $324 million to settle a lawsuit accusing them of conspiring to hold down salaries in Silicon Valley, sources familiar with the deal said, just weeks before a high profile trial had been scheduled to begin.

*** How To Easily Clone Your Mac Using SuperDuper! Or Carbon Copy Cloner ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-easily-clone-your-mac-using-superduper-or-carbon-copy-cloner?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Best Translation Apps For iPhone: iTranslate Voice, iVoice, Google Translate, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-translation-apps-iphone-itranslate-voice-ivoice-google-translate-and-more?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** California Shoots Down 'Kill Switch' Legislation For Smartphones ***
<http://www.cnet.com/news/calif-state-senate-shoots-down-kill-switch-legislation/>
Richard Nieva, CNET

> Legislators rejected a bill requiring device makers like Apple to include antitheft software on smartphones sold in the state. Their reason: It would be bad for business.

*** Apple, Google Agree To Settle Antitrust Lawsuit Over Hiring Deals-filing ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/24/apple-google-settlement-idUSL2N0NG1Z220140424>
Dan Levine, Reuters

> Four major tech companies including Apple and Google have agreed to settle a large antitrust lawsuit over no-hire agreements in Silicon Valley, according to a court filing on Thursday.

> Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

*** iOS 6 Users On Devices Able To Run iOS 7 Must Upgrade To Fix FaceTime ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/24/ios-6-facetime-fix/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> According to Apple, a bug resulting from an expired device certificate has rendered FaceTime unusable on older versions of iOS and the only solution to the problem is to update to the latest version of the operating system.

*** How To Protect Your Social Media Privacy On The iPad And iPhone ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/protect-your-social-media-privacy-on-ios-3513394/>
Doug Drinkwater, Macworld UK

*** 4 Office For iPad Alternatives ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2147303/4-office-alternatives-for-ipad.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Michael Ansaldo, Macworld

> While no third-party suite can fully replicate the real deal, these four came closest. We tested them with an eye toward usability, cloud support, and faithfulness to Office file formats (the last of which disqualified Apple’s iWorks right out of the gate). Each has stronger points, such as a more elegant interface, or better file or cloud support, but any will get the job done admirably until you can get back to your desk.

*** Rumors Of The Stars ***
<http://www.poetryfoundation.org/article/247618>
Austin Allen, Poetry Foundation

> Why would a poet try to immortalize gossip?

*** No Exit ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/04/no-exit/>
Gideon Lewis-Kraus, Wired