[MyAppleMenu] Apr 24, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 24 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apple’s Cook On New Products: ‘Take The Time To Get It Right’ ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/04/24/apples-cook-on-new-products-take-the-time-to-get-it-right/>
Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> How close is that? Cook lets out a laugh and said he didn’t accidentally tip his hand. The company, he said, is closer to announcing a new product than it was at the end of January, yesterday or ten minutes ago. Not much help.

*** Jimi: A Brilliant Little Innovation For iMac Owners ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/04/23/jimi-a-brilliant-little-innovation-for-imac-owners/?ncid=rss_truncated&%3Fncid=tw>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> Jimi is cleverly designed to transition the vertical USB port on the back of the iMac to a horizontal USB port that pokes out from the bottom of your computer.

This looks great. Personally, I don't understand why Apple moved the ports on a laptop from the back to the sides, making it easier to access the ports, but failed to do so for the desktops.

*** How To Detect And Remove Genieo For Mac ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/04/23/how-to-detect-and-remove-genieo-for-mac/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

*** Lab Tested: The Mac Pro Daisy Chain Challenge ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2146360/lab-tested-the-mac-pro-daisy-chain-challenge.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Jame Galbraith, Macworld

> Macworld Lab came up with the Mac Pro Daisy Chain Challenge: How many devices can we round up, connect, and use on a single Mac Pro.

*** The Best Focused-writing Apps For OS X ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2147000/the-best-focused-writing-apps-for-os-x.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> There’s no shortage of writing apps for OS X, for any type of work, and for any budget. You may want to stick with the free TextEdit, or, if you use Markdown, look for a tool that displays formatted texts better. My ideal text editor would have the simplicity of iA Writer, some of the features of ByWord and WriteRoom, and the preview and export features of Marked 2. Sadly, such a dream app doesn’t exist. In its absence, I’ve found iA Writer to be the most useful tool, because it stays out of my way.

*** The Weather Channel Unveils A Brand New iOS 7 Redesign ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/04/the-weather-channel-unveils-a-brand-new-ios-7-redesign>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** U.S. Judge Denies Apple's Move To Hold Off E-book Antitrust Trial ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/24/us-apple-ebooks-idUSBREA3N04820140424>
Reuters

> U.S. District Judge Denise Cote in a brief order said the July 14 trial had already been postponed once and should go forward, paving the way for more than two dozen states to pursue hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.

*** Conjuring Images Of A Bionic Future ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/technology/personaltech/app-controlled-hearing-aid-improves-even-normal-hearing.html>
Farhad Manjoo, New York Times

> It’s only a slight exaggeration to say that the latest crop of advanced hearing aids are better than the ears most of us were born with. The devices can stream phone calls and music directly to your ears from your phone. They can tailor their acoustic systems to your location; when the phone detects that you have entered your favorite sports bar, it adjusts the hearing aids to that environment.

> The hearing aids even let you transform your phone into an extra set of ears. If you’re chatting with your co-worker across a long table, set the phone in front of her, and her words will stream directly to your ears.

Like Mr Manjoo, I'm so tempted to get myself some Made-for-iPhone hearing aids even though I probably don't have really bad hearing problems to require a hearing aid for now.

*** Apple’s Stock Split: Attracting The Wrong Crowd? ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/upshot/apples-stock-split-attracting-the-wrong-crowd.html?_r=0>
Neil Irwin, New York Times

> With its split decision, then, Apple is effectively choosing its own shareholders — and not the ones who are most likely to stick with the company when it encounters bad times.

*** Cook Confronts Analysts On iPad Sales ***
<http://www.imore.com/cook-confronts-analysts-ipad-sales?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> "iPad sales came in at the high end of <i>our</i> estimates," Cook emphasized, uncharacteristically taking issue with analysts' projections.

*** Angela Ahrendts Joining Apple Next Week ***
<http://www.imore.com/angela-ahrendts-joining-apple-next-week>
Sam Sabri, iMore

*** Apple Announces 7 For 1 Stock Split, Boosts Its Dividend 8%, Adds $30B To Its Buyback Program ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/23/apple-announces-7-for-1-stock-split-boosts-its-dividend-8-adds-30b-to-its-buyback-program/>
Alex Wilhelm, TechCrunch

> As part of its earnings cycle today, Apple announced that it will increase its dividend 8 percent, add $30 billion to its share buyback program current to a total of $90 billion, and split its stock 7 for 1 in June.

> The company’s dividend will also now rise yearly.

*** Apple Beats In Q2 2014 With $45.6B Revenue, $10.2B Profit And $11.62 EPS ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/23/apple-q2-2014/>
Romain Dillet, TechCrunch

> Apple has just released its fiscal Q2 2014 earnings, reporting $45.6 billion in revenue, $10.2 billion in net profit representing $11.62 per share. Compared to the year-ago quarter, it corresponds to a growth of 4.6 percent in revenue, and 15.2 percent in EPS.

*** Apple + Patching = You’re Doing It Wrong :( ***
<http://www.tombom.co.uk/blog/?p=492>
Kristin Paget's Blog

> Drop a patch for one product that quite literally lists out, in order, the security vulnerabilities in your platform, and then fail to patch those weaknesses on your other range of products for <i>weeks</i> afterwards? You really don’t see anything wrong with this?

*** Daylite 5 Adds Refinements To The Business Management App ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/04/23/daylite-5-adds-refinements-to-the-business-management-app/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> The new Insight View is described as a "visual summary of your data" that "helps you discover patterns and answer questions about your business." By displaying a number of graphs on one screen, it's easy to see patterns appear and then make comparisons. Clicking on a bar chart drills into summaries, and dragging across a timeline allows even further focus on project details.

*** Admit It: Most Of Us Don't Understand Shakespeare ***
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/william-shakespeare/10780365/Admit-it-most-of-us-dont-understand-Shakespeare.html>
Dominic Cavendish, The Telegraph