[MyAppleMenu] Apr 23, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 23 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Steve Jobs In My Small World ***
<https://medium.com/technology-musings/9ec428bd13f4>
Matt Haughey, Medium

*** Cloud Photo Storage: The Best Ways To Bank Family Pictures ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304279904579517593807591638>
Wilson Rothman, Wall Street Journal

> In my hunt for the best cloud photo option, five services stood out: Dropbox, Flickr, Shutterfly, SmugMug and the powerful yet clumsy combination of Google Drive and Google+. In the end, only Flickr managed to satisfy all my requirements, though SmugMug was a close second.

*** What The Apple Wage Collusion Case Says About Silicon Valley’s Labor Economy ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/04/23/what-the-apple-wage-collusion-case-says-about-silicon-valleys-labor-economy/>
Brian Fung, Washington Post

> So as Steve Jobs and other executives allegedly colluded to prevent the poaching of engineers from each other, they may have simultaneously contributed to Silicon Valley's preoccupation with precociousness. Finding new, less expensive talent among the young, after all, was the most viable alternative.

*** Grand Tour Of The Apple Retail Palaces Of Europe: Amsterdam ***
<http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/04/23/apple-amsterdam-retail-palace/>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

> It's a huge store -- Apple's biggest in Europe, according to the company. It occupies two high-ceilinged floors, separated by a Steve Jobs-patented glass spiral staircase and softly lit by a two-story atrium.

*** Apple Fixes FaceTime On Older Versions Of OS X, iOS 6 Still Not Working ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/23/facetime-fix-older-versions-osx/>
Richard Padilla, MacRumors

> Apple tonight released an update for FaceTime on OS X, which resolves connections issues and is recommended for all FaceTime users currently running OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. The connection issues are presumably related to the problems reported last week which affected both older versions of OS X and iOS 6 versions of FaceTime.

*** Blue Sky For iOS Lets You Visualize Clearer Air ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/04/22/blue-sky-for-ios-lets-you-visualize-clearer-air/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> The app simply serves as an environmental reminder to let you visualize cleaner and clearer skies. The app also lets you add your signature to a petition to state your preference about 'bringing back the blue'.

*** Apple Launches 'Powerful' New iPhone 5S Ad ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-launches-new-iphone-5s-ad-powerful>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> Apple has released a new iPhone 5s ad called "Powerful". It's set to the song Gigantic by the Pixies, the ad highlights the iPhone 5s' utility with several kinds of musical instruments and vocals, as a connected controller for lighting, gaming, and rocket launching, for slow motion video, videography, live translation, blood pressure measurement, and finishes with the line — "You're more powerful than you think".

*** Amazon Updates Its Kindle iOS App To Add Table Of Contents, X-Ray Smart Look-Up ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/04/amazon-updates-its-kindle-ios-app-to-add-table-of-contents-x-ray-smart-look-up>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** Programming In Time For Dinner ***
<http://www.fastcolabs.com/3029495/programming-in-time-for-dinner>
Tyler Hayes, Fast Company

> Programmers often get stereotyped as night owls--a habit endemic to young programmers. But what happens when those night owls have kids and develop more demanding personal lives? Here are a few ways to think about your time that should take some of the conflict out of your time management conundrum.

*** Apple Releases Heartbleed Fix For AirPort Base Stations ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2146391/apple-releases-heartbleed-fix-for-airport-base-stations.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Jason Snell, Macworld

> The update, AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.7.3, is only for the AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule base stations with 802.11ac, introduced in June 2013, and fixes a vulnerability that existed only when the Back to My Mac feature was turned on.

*** iOS 7.1.1 Now Labels Apps With 'In-App Purchases' In Top Charts And Featured Sections ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/22/in-app-purchases-top-charts/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> As part of iOS 7.1.1, released earlier today, Apple has implemented some minor changes to the iOS App Store to make it more clear which apps offer in-app purchases.

*** Apple's Letting Anyone Help Test Its Next OS X Update ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/22/5641006/apple-letting-anyone-help-test-next-os-x-update>
Chris Welch, The Verge

> Apple is suddenly taking a much more open approach to testing its desktop operating system. For the first time in years, the company is inviting regular consumers to help test upcoming OS X software updates before they're distributed publicly. Apple says the OS X Beta Seed Program will allow anyone to "test-drive beta software and provide quality and usability feedback that will help make OS X even better."

*** How Steve Jobs Undercut Silicon Valley's Greatest Asset: Engineers ***
<http://www.inc.com/jeremy-quittner/silicon-valley-wage-collusion-class-action.html?cid=sf01001>
Jeremy Quittner, Inc.com

*** Apple Allowing Non-Developers To Apply For OS X Beta Program ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/22/apple-betaseed-program-opens-to-all/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> Alongside iOS 7.1.1, Apple has introduced a new OS X beta program that will see non-developers given an opportunity to download OS X betas before they are released to the public.

*** Apple Releases iOS 7.1.1 With TouchID Improvements And Bug Fixes ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/04/apple-releases-ios-7-1-1-with-more-bug-fixes>
Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice

*** Apple Pushes OS X Security Update, Safari 7.0.3 ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/22/apple-pushes-os-x-security-update-safari-7-0-3/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** What Will Become Of The Library? ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/design/2014/04/the_future_of_the_library_how_they_ll_evolve_for_the_digital_age.html>
Michael Agresta, Slate

> A library without books was once unthinkable. Now it seems almost inevitable.

*** ‘Lovers At The Chameleon Club, Paris 1932,’ By Francine Prose ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/lovers-at-the-chameleon-club-paris-1932-by-francine-prose/2014/04/22/d322075e-c590-11e3-8b9a-8e0977a24aeb_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Ron Charles, Washington Post

> <i>Pssst</i>. Looking for a good read? Check out the Chameleon Club in Montparnasse. Go alone — or with someone you trust. Step down a few stairs, knock on the door and whisper the password: “Police! Open up!”

*** Let’s Start With Bread And Water ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/dining/lets-start-with-bread-and-water.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Pete Wells, New York Times