[MyAppleMenu] Apr 22, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Apr 22 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Add A "Move To iTunes" Option To OS X With A Finder Service ***
<http://lifehacker.com/add-a-move-to-itunes-option-to-os-x-with-a-finder-ser-1565585817>
Thorin Klososki, Lifehacker

*** Agilebits' 1Password For iOS Is Completely Redesigned With New Update ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/04/agilebits-1password-for-ios-is-completely-redesigned-with-new-update>
Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice

> Agilebits has announced a significant update to 1Password for iOS. Version 4.5 is being touted as “the reimagined edition” and features a flatter design, an improved in-app Web browser, and much more.

*** Fix iMessages Only Showing Up On One Device ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/04/21/fix-imessages-only-showing-up-on-one-device/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

*** The Best iTunes Keyboard Shortcutâ„¢ Ever ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/the-best-itunes-keyboard-shortcut-ever/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> If you get lost in your iTunes library, a quick Command-L takes you back where you want to go.

*** Apple Taunts Samsung To 'Copy' Its Environmental Record ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/22/5639148/apple-earth-day-ad-taunts-samsung>
Tom Warren, The Verge

> In newspaper adverts that accompany a revamped environmental site, Apple takes clear aim at Samsung while highlighting its green-themed energy campaign. "There are some ideas we want every company to copy," reads the headline of the ad, a clear reference to Apple's aggressive shift to renewable energy. The body of the ad also mentions that "there's one area where we actually encourage others to imitate us."

*** Apple Offering Free Recycling Of All Used Products ***
<http://news.yahoo.com/apple-offering-free-recycling-used-products-174248859.html>
Michael Liedtke, Associated Press

> Apple is offering free recycling of all its used products and vowing to power all of its stores, offices and data centers with renewable energy to reduce the pollution caused by its devices and online services.

*** Buffet Of All Things ***
<http://blog.minming.net/post/83447062229/unlimited-movies-music-books-magazines>
Lo Min Ming

> With the influx of unlimited subscription models for our digital lifestyle consumption, I decided to figure out how much it would cost for me to subscribe to get access to unlimited eBooks, Movies, Music, and Magazines.

The most interesting thing from this article: is Amazon getting close to offer an one-price unlimited subscription to all forms of entertainment in all forms of medium?

*** Mailbox Goes 2.0 On iOS, Gains Auto-swipe And Cross-device Dropbox Sync ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/21/mailbox-goes-2-0-on-ios-gains-auto-swipe-and-cross-device-dropbox-sync/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Active Malware Campaign Steals Apple Passwords From Jailbroken iPhones ***
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/active-malware-campaign-steals-apple-passwords-from-jailbroken-iphones/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> Security researchers have uncovered an active malware campaign in the wild that steals the Apple ID credentials from jailbroken iPhones and iPads.

*** Can A Normal User Justify A Mac Pro? ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14687?rss>
Julio Ojeda-Zapata, TidBITS

> What follows might seem to be tortured logic and wishful thinking, and maybe it is. Still, here are my thoughts on why a Mac Pro might — or might not — be appropriate for an average Mac Joe like yours truly.

*** Apple CEO Cook Explains His Company's Commitment To The Environment In A New Video ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/04/apple-ceo-cook-explains-his-companys-commitment-to-the-environment-in-a-new-video>
Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice

> “Better” is narrated by Apple CEO Tim Cook and explains how Cupertino is striving to reduce its impact on climate change, find ways to use greener materials, and conserve resources for future generations.

*** Mac 101: A Handy List Of Startup Options For Macs Running OS X ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/04/21/mac-101-a-handy-list-of-startup-options-for-macs-running-os-x/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> Need to reboot you Mac to access a new startup disc or launch with safe mode enabled so you can troubleshoot problems with OS X? Then read on for this handy list of startup options for Mac OS X machines.

*** Apple Aims To Shrink Its Carbon Footprint With New Data Centers ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/04/green-apple/>
Steven Levy, Wired

> It’s an unusual trip in that its point is to give a reporter exposure to the way Apple works, a departure from the company’s usual maniacal secrecy. But when it comes to the environment, Apple consciously carves out an exception to its standard opacity. Part of the motive, of course, is generating a halo effect from good works. But Apple also hopes to inspire other companies and organizations to embark on similar ecologically helpful enterprises. Though it may not have always been the case, Apple has a good Earth Day story to tell.

*** Apple Adds A&E, History Channel, And Lifetime Channels To Apple TV ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/21/apple-adds-ae-history-channel-and-lifetime-channels-to-apple-tv/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> Each channel does require a cable subscription to unlock full content, but it appears the most recent episodes of shows are available without unlocking the channels.

*** Will We Ever Be Able To Predict Earthquakes? ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/04/earthquake_prediction_why_the_future_of_the_san_andreas_and_other_fault.html>
John Dvorak, Slate

> Once, seismologists correctly predicted a major quake. They were only 12 years off on the timing.

*** How To Live Forever ***
<http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140421-how-to-live-forever>
Frank Swain, BBC

> As director of the Laboratory of Survival and Longevity at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research in Rostock, Germany, Vaupel studies longevity and survival in human and animal populations. He tells me that the pattern of improvements to mortality has shifted greatly in the past 100 years. Before 1950, most of the gains in life expectancy were made by combating the high infant mortality that Huseland noted. Since then, however, it’s been the over-60s and most recently the over-80s who’ve seen the greatest decreases in mortality.

> In other words, we are not just surviving childhood in greater numbers, we’re living longer – a lot longer.

*** If It’s Possible, It Happened ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/22/science/our-mathematical-universe-a-case-for-alternate-realities.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Amir Alexander, New York Times

> The idea of parallel universes, in which events diverge from those in our own reality, is usually the domain of science fiction. But Dr. Tegmark is a scientist, not a novelist, and he makes a powerful case, leading us step by logical step from well-established mainstream science into ever stranger territory.

*** The Missing Borges ***
<http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2014/04/16/the-missing-borges/?_sm_au_=iVVQNMPR82t62stS>
Graciela Mochkofsky, The Paris Review