[MyAppleMenu] Apr 21, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 21 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** How To Sync Bookmarks With Two iCloud Accounts ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2145340/how-to-sync-bookmarks-with-two-icloud-accounts.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** PhotoSweeper For Mac Whisks Away Duplicate Images ***
<http://thenextweb.com/creativity/2014/04/20/review-clear-photo-duplicates-photosweeper/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=profeed>
Jackie Dove, The Next Web

> When your computer slows down to a crawl and you figure out that it’s because your hard drive is stuffed to the gills, you need to do some house cleaning. Your photo collection is likely a good place to start, and Overmacs’ newly updated PhotoSweeper can swiftly scrub out space-wasting photo duplicates.

*** Coal Ridge Teachers Find iPad Minis Increase Classroom Interaction ***
<http://www.timescall.com/news/longmont-schools/ci_25604959/coal-ridge-teachers-find-ipad-minis-increase-classroom>
Victoria A.F. Camron, Longmont Times-Call

> In his seventh-grade social studies classroom at Coal Ridge, Adam Wellington asks students to explain what they think private goods are. Instead of calling on different students, though, all the students write their answers on their iPad minis. Wellington can then see the answers and share some without revealing the students' names.

*** A Better Breed Of News App ***
<http://www.technologyreview.com/review/526556/a-better-breed-of-news-app/>
Jason Pontin, Technology Review

> Mobile news curation uses human editors and good design to improve the experience of reading the news on smartphones.

*** End Of The Line Coming For Apple iChat Log-ins To AIM On Older Macs ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/end-of-the-line-coming-for-apple-ichat-log-ins-to-aim-on-older-macs-7000028595/>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

> Apple warned in a recent Support Note that after June 30, Macs running a number of older versions of OS X won't be able to use their mac.com and me.com addresses as AOL Instant Messaging (AIM) IDs to log into the AIM service with iChat. The company said users must upgrade to at least OS X Lion 10.7.2.

*** The Best Timekeeping iOS Apps ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2144943/the-best-timekeeping-ios-apps.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Brian Beam, Macworld

> As someone who runs a freelance consulting business, it's important to track my time accurately so that I can bill my clients properly, and there just so happens to be a plethora of standalone timekeeping apps available for iOS.

> How do you wade through this crowded category in order to find an app that's right for you? Fortunately, I've done some leg work for you, but time tracking can be rather detailed and everyone has different needs and preferences. My criteria may not exactly match yours. Luckily, many of these apps provide limited free versions so that you can try them out before making a commitment of time and money.

*** Apple, Google Vie To Offer Exclusive Game Apps ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702304626304579510020273541060-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwNDExNDQyWj>
Ian Sherr and Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> The two Silicon Valley giants have been wooing game developers to ensure that top-tier game titles arrive first on devices powered by their respective operating systems, people familiar with the situation said.

> In exchange, Apple and Google are offering to provide a promotional boost for these games by giving them premium placement on their app stores' home pages and features lists, these people said.

*** Users Finding First-generation Apple TVs Unable To Connect To iTunes Store ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/20/users-finding-first-generation-apple-tvs-unable-to-connect-to-itunes-store/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The Four Myths Of Inequality In Singapore ***
<http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=20677&fb_action_ids=10151998972600759&fb_action_types=og.likes>
Donald Low, The Kent Ridge Common

> The myths matter for public policy because they shroud almost every discussion of inequality and of how our social security system should be organised in a thick and unquestioned set of assumptions. They act as an ideological blinker, and cause the policymaker to respond reflexively to any suggestion to redistribute incomes and reduce inequality with the argument that doing so will compromise the efficient working of markets. The myths matter because they reduce the ability of the Singapore government to pursue pragmatic and creative solutions to the challenge of inequality. And like many other myths and ideologies, they prevent a comprehensive and objective assessment of the policy alternatives successfully pursued by governments elsewhere.

*** A New Golden Age For Media? ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/05/start-the-presses/359810/>
Justin Fox, The Atlantic

> The reason some of these moneymaking ideas seem fresh or strange or maybe even a little dodgy now is that we’ve just been through roughly half a century during which news organizations could fund themselves more than adequately with straightforward advertising, supplemented with a bit of subscription revenue. But it didn’t always work that way. And the immediate future of news media may end up looking a lot more like the pre-1950s landscape than what we’ve become accustomed to since.

*** Imitation Of Life ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2014/04/28/140428crbo_books_menand>
Louis Menand, New Yorker

> Updike spent almost his entire life writing; he had very few professional tribulations; and whatever personal adventures he had, no matter how private, he turned into fiction. Adam Begley decided to meet the difficulty head on by treating Updike’s life and Updike’s writing as mutually informing. His “Updike” (Harper) is essentially an extended essay in biographical criticism, an insight into the man through the work and the work through the man.

*** The Man In The Woods ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2014/04/28/140428fi_fiction_jackson>
Shirley Jackson, New Yorker

*** Book Review: 'Authorisms' By Paul Dickson ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304572204579501584279044984?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304572204579501584279044984.html>
Henry Hitchings, Wall Street Journal