[MyAppleMenu] Apr 20, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 20 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Dallas Developer's A Dark Room App Hits No. 1 Spot On Apple App Store ***
<http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/blog/2014/04/dallas-developers-a-dark-room-app-hits-no-1-spot.html>
Danielle Abril, Dallas Business Journal

> A Dallas developer who quit his job to pursue developing his own software now knows what it’s like create the No. 1 iOS mobile application in the United States and the United Kingdom.

*** Apple Hires Rising Medical Star Divya Nag With FDA Approval, Product Development Experience ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/19/apple-hires-rising-medical-star-divya-nag-with-fda-approval-product-development-experience/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The Spooky World Of The 'Numbers Stations' ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24910397>
Olivia Sorrel-Dejerine, BBC

> This is the era of hyper-tech espionage, encrypted emails and mindboggling cryptography. But you can hear a very old-fashioned form of espionage on shortwave radio.

*** France's Silent Tea Revolution ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26962095>
Hugh Schofield, BBC

> Hard to believe for a country supposedly devoted to the cult of coffee, but today French blends are the toast of tea cognoscenti from Nanjing to New York.

*** When Diamonds Are Dirt Cheap, Will They Still Dazzle? ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/20/business/when-diamonds-are-dirt-cheap-will-they-still-dazzle.html?action=click&contentCollection=Business%20Day&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article&_r=2>
Robert H. Frank, New York Times

> Renowned art originals will always be scarce, and so will high-quality mined diamonds, at least while De Beers holds sway. But what will happen to the lofty prices of such goods if there is an inexhaustible supply of inexpensive perfect copies? Economic reasoning can help answer this question. It can also shed light on how new technologies might alter traditional ways in which people demonstrate their wealth to others, or might change what society embraces as tokens of commitment and other gifts.

*** Chat Wars ***
<http://nplusonemag.com/chat-wars?src=longreads>
David Auerbach, n+1