[MyAppleMenu] Apr 26, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Apr 26 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apps We Actually Use: Markdown Pro For Editing Text And Markdown Documents ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/04/25/apps-we-actually-use-markdown-pro-for-editing-text-and-markdown/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

*** Software Is 'Bigger And Bigger' Deal For Nike: CEO ***
<http://www.cnbc.com/id/101615107>
Jessica Golden, CNBC

> Parker said Nike's goal is to increase NikeFuel users to 100 million from 30 million.

> To do that, Nike will be expanding its partnerships with companies such as its most visible partner, Apple.

*** Apple's New iPhone Ad Features A Song About A Giant Penis ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/04/25/new_iphone_ad_its_soundtrack_is_about_a_penis.html>
Jordan Weissmann, Slate

> And Apple’s ad only features lyrics from the chorus, which just repeats the words: “Gigantic! Gigantic! Gigantic! / A big big love.” Out of context, that sounds almost innocuous. Almost.

*** Apple Wins Temporary Reprieve In E-books Damages Trial As U.S. Appeals Court To Consider Stay ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/25/apple-wins-reprieve-in-e-books-damages-trial-as-us-appeals-court-to-consider-stay->
Mikey Campbell, AppleInsider

*** Grand Tour Of The Apple Retail Palaces Of Europe: London ***
<http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/04/26/apple-palace-retail-london/>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

> I can just see Steve Jobs getting excited about planting Apple's (AAPL) flagship U.K. store in the Piazza of Covent Garden, near the Drury Lane Theater, St. Paul's ("the Actor's") Church and, according to Fancyapint?, 272 pubs and bars.

> Apple already had a store on Regent Street just a mile away in a busier district with serious shoppers and serious brand names: Hugo Boss, Anthropologie, Burberry's.

> But Covent Garden had a history.

*** The Best iPhone Apps For Free Phone Calls: Make Free Phone Calls From Your iPhone ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iosapps/5-best-free-phone-call-apps-for-iphone-3513098/>
Lou Hattersley, Macworld UK

> Paying for phone calls on your iPhone is a waste of your money. It’s easy to make free phone calls on the iPhone. This guide to making free iPhone phone calls has five of the best services to use.

*** Distiller (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456618,00.asp>
Joel Santo Domingo, PC Magazine

> The Distiller app is an easy-to-use expert in your pocket when you find yourself in a bar or liquor store facing a wall of whiskey bottles.

*** How To Add Liner Notes To iTunes ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/how-to-add-liner-notes-to-itunes/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** ‘Mobile Safari Creator’ ***
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/04/25/mobile-safari-creator>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> Said one long-time trusted source: “He definitely was <i>not</i> the lead on the project and several other engineers made far more significant contributions. How dare he take primary credit for MobileSafari. Shameful.”

*** Apple Launches iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/04/25/apple-launches-iphone-5-sleepwake-button-replacement-program/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> “Apple today launched a program to replace the sleep/wake button on a small percentage of iPhone 5 models where the button may stop working or work intermittently,” Apple said in a statement provided to The Loop. “Apple will offer the service free of charge to iPhone 5 customers with models that exhibit this issue and have a qualifying serial number.”

*** Ganglands ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/books/review/i-pity-the-poor-immigrant-by-zachary-lazar.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Rich Cohen, New York Times

> There’s no way around it. To exercise power is to be ridden with guilt. To step is to step on. This, among other things, is the paradox of modern Israel. A nation meant to harbor and normalize the Jews has, in the process, entangled this ancient people with the brutality of sovereignty in a way so old it’s new. For a lot of us, it’s been a thrilling, maddening, disorienting 65-plus years. It’s this mood — pride wrapped in fear, the quest for the ordinary pitted against prophecy — and the violence that accompanies it that Zachary Lazar explores in his brilliant new novel, “I Pity the Poor Immigrant.”

*** Using The Foreign To Grasp The Familiar ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/26/books/writing-in-english-novelists-find-inventive-new-voices.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
William Grimes, New York Times