[MyAppleMenu] Apr 10, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 10 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** OS X Mavericks: How To Control Your Mac With Your Voice ***
<http://blogs.computerworld.com/mac-os-x/23769/os-x-mavericks-how-control-your-mac-your-voice>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

*** Microsoft Word For iPad ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455925,00.asp>
Edward Mendelson, PC Magazine

> From its very first edition, Word simply outclasses the competition on the iPad, handily winning our Editors' Choice for tablet-based word processing.

*** A Collection Of Wonderful And Weird Amusements ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/technology/personaltech/review-eerie-and-interesting-apps-for-games-and-amusement.html?hpw&rref=technology>
Kit Eaton, New York Times

> Mobile apps can seem a bit like the tools on a Swiss Army knife. Many of them are useful, but some are just fun.

> And so it is in the app stores, where many wonderfully weird and surprising apps reside alongside their utilitarian brethren.

*** 'Monstrous' Apple Kicked Us Off iAd, Claimed We Are Its RIVAL – Brit Music Upstart ***
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/09/apple/>
Jasper Hamill, The Register

> Bloom FM, a Spotify-style music streaming service, claimed Apple issued the iAd ban because it now regards the London-based company as a rival.

Apple definitely have the right to <i>not</i> take your advertisement money.

*** Apple Transportation Program Stuck In The Past ***
<http://usa.streetsblog.org/2014/04/09/apple-transportation-program-stuck-in-the-past/>
Tom Fairchild, Streetsblog USA

> Apple’s decision to build a mammoth new headquarters in Cupertino, California — miles from public transportation and adequate housing — amounts to a corporate denunciation of sustainability and a giant corporate shrug to Mother Earth.

*** Green Apple: Why Apple Was Bad For The Environment (And Why That's Changing) ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/why-apple-was-bad-environment-why-changing-green-3450263/>
David Price, Macworld UK

*** Privacy-Sensitive Germans Not Biting Into Apple’s iBeacon, Yet ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/04/10/privacy-weary-germans-not-biting-into-apples-ibeacon-yet/>
Stephan Doerner, Wall Street Journal

> Since revelations that the U.S. spied on German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s cell phone, Germans are increasingly looking more to European vendors than Americans for their server needs.

*** The Best Mac Accounting Apps ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2141440/the-best-mac-accounting-apps.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> While AccountEdge remains an excellent application for managing your business finances, and remains one of my personal favorites, MoneyWorks Gold offers all the accounting features you’ll need in a package that’s considerably less expensive than AccountEdge.

*** Share A Reminders List With Friends And Colleagues ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/04/10/share-a-reminders-list-with-friends-and-colleagues/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

> Even though by supporting alarms and due dates Reminders are a tad redundant with calendar events, their being maintained in lists and not being placed on a timeline changes their uses slightly and gives them relevance not only for individuals, but also for workgroups.

*** Heartbleed, The New OpenSSL Hack: How Does It Affect OS X And iOS? ***
<http://www.imore.com/heartbleed-new-openssl-hack-how-does-it-affect-os-x-and-ios>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Cocoa For Web Services ***
<http://inessential.com/2014/04/09/cocoa_for_web_services>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

> Here’s the lesson to learn: we’re no longer in the apps business. We’re in the apps-and-services business.

*** Thoughts On Dropbox Carousel ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/thoughts-on-dropbox-carousel/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Veteran Apple Designer Greg Christie Departs As Jony Ive’s Role Grows ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/09/veteran-apple-designer-greg-christie-departing-and-his-group-will-report-to-jony-ive/>
Matthew Panzarino, TechCrunch

> According to multiple sources inside and outside the company, Christie’s exit has been known for weeks — and planned for even longer. His stepping aside has been designed to allow for a transition of leadership inside the Human Interface group. Christie worked under Forstall for many years, and there may have been plenty of times he didn’t agree with Ive, but there has reportedly been a distinct lack of drama in this transition.

Also:

*** Stop The Power Button From Turning Off The Mac Display In OS X Mavericks ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/04/09/stop-power-button-turning-off-mac-display/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29>
OS X Daily

*** Jony Ive Shakes Up Apple’s Software Design Group, iPhone Interface Creator Greg Christie Departing ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/09/jony-ive-shakes-up-apples-software-design-group-iphone-interface-creator-greg-christie-departing/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> Christie’s upcoming leave from Apple will mark one of the most significant design exits in several years and represents a complete changing of the guard for Apple’s software design style. Over the past two years, Scott Forstall and Christie will have both exited Apple, and Ive will have secured his position at Apple as the central product design decision maker for the foreseeable future in the post-Steve Jobs era.

*** Facebook Is Forcing All Users To Download Messenger By Ripping Chat Out Of Its Main Apps ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/09/facebook-messenger-or-the-highway/>
Josh Constine, TechCrunch

*** Dropbox Unveils Carousel For Organizing Your Photos And Videos ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/9/5594288/dropbox-unveils-carousel-for-organizing-your-photos-and-videos-online>
Casey Newton, The Verge

*** Letterman’s Last Great Moment ***
<http://grantland.com/features/david-letterman-retires-cbs/>
Bill Simmons, Grantland

> Every Letterman junkie always knew he’d retire on a whim; that’s exactly what happened. No hype, no warning, no manufactured drama, nothing. Only Carson would have done it that way, and maybe that was the point. The old man told a story, then a second story, then a third story, and suddenly, he was gone. He’s leaving after his 33rd year. My favorite number. And now, officially, late-night television can morph into something else. I just don’t know what.

*** <i>Astonish Me</i>: Maggie Shipstead’s Balletic Prose ***
<http://time.com/56116/maggie-shipstead-astonish-me-review/>
Nolan Feeney, TIME

> Shipstead's sophomore novel makes a grand arabesque into the world of dance.

*** In A Land Of On-Time Arrivals, A Tour Of Anything But ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/world/europe/berlins-over-budget-behind-schedule-airport-becomes-an-attraction.html?_r=0>
Chris Cottrell, New York Times

> In the early days of aviation, it was common for people to visit airports simply to stand on observation decks and watch the planes come and go. This city’s new airport is attracting tourists for the opposite reason: a conspicuous lack of passengers and planes after a series of delays and bungles that have driven its cost billions of dollars over budget and pushed its opening back indefinitely.

*** The Public Library: A Photographic Love Letter To Humanity’s Greatest Sanctuary Of Knowledge, Freedom, And Democracy ***
<http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2014/04/09/the-public-library-robert-dawson-book/?_sm_au_=iVVTVF6t3QT1SV46>
Maria Popova, Brain Pickings