[MyAppleMenu] Apr 11, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 11 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apple Releases Xcode 5.1.1 Update With Bug Fixes, Stability Improvements ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/10/apple-releases-xcode-511-update-with-bug-fixes-stability-improvements>
AppleInsider

*** What3words iPhone App Review: A Clever, Fun Idea That Could Transform Social Mapping - Maybe ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/social-networking/what3words-iphone-app-review-3511317/>
David Price, Macworld UK

*** Use The Power Of IFTTT To Customize Your Apple TV Screen Saver ***
<http://www.macstories.net/tutorials/use-the-power-of-ifttt-to-customize-your-apple-tv-screen-saver/>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

> For example, for the last few months I’ve been using a combination of Flickr, IFTTT and Instagram to create an Apple TV screen saver that cycles through images that I have liked on Instagram and it is far better than seeing the same old National Geographic photos (as great as they are) over and over again.

*** Connecting Two Macs Using Thunderbolt ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2142073/connecting-two-macs-using-thunderbolt.html#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith, Macworld

*** Memories Of Steve ***
<http://donmelton.com/2014/04/10/memories-of-steve/>
Don Melton

> After I called my staff and made sure they were aware and they were OK, I told them to let any of their team members leave for the day if they thought that was best. Most of them stayed anyway because they didn’t want to be alone.

> Then I laid back down, alone, and selfishly realized how fortunate I had been to have known this man, if just for a little while.

*** Apple Says iOS, OSX And “Key Web Services” Not Affected By Heartbleed Security Flaw ***
<http://recode.net/2014/04/10/apple-says-ios-osx-and-key-web-services-not-affected-by-heartbleed-security-flaw/>
Mike Isaac, Re/code

> Apple said Thursday that its mobile, desktop and Web services weren’t affected by a major flaw in a set of security software used by hundreds of thousands of websites.

*** You Should Play: Sometimes You Die ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2142620/you-should-play-sometimes-you-die.html#tk.rss_all>
Chris Holt, TechHive

> Sometimes You Die is a darkly humorous meditation on the relationship between the player and the game—and it’s also a pretty fun game in its own right. Combining elements of platforming and puzzle solving, Sometimes You Die both acknowledges and then sticks its tongue out at conventions of genre, gameplay, and escapism.

*** Verizon Giving 1GB Of Free Data Along With New LTE iPad Activations ***
<http://www.imore.com/verizon-giving-1gb-free-data-along-new-tablet-activations>
Andrew Martonik, iMore

*** Apple Releases iMovie For Mac 10.0.3 With New Sorting Options, Improved Titles, And More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/04/10/apple-releases-imovie-10-0-3-with-new-sorting-options-improved-titles-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Amazon Acquires Digital Comic Book Store Comixology ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/10/amazon-acquires-digital-comic-book-service-comixology/>
Greg Kumparak, TechCrunch

> The news is confirmed by a post from comiXology CEO David Steinberger, who says that the company will retain its brand, living on as a subsidiary of Amazon.

*** The Big Read: Can A Single Book Sum Up A Nation? ***
<http://www.vqronline.org/big-read-can-single-book-sum-nation>
Michael Dirda, VQR

> Whenever my father used to see me intently hunched over my grade-​school English homework, he would say, “Looks like you’re working on the Great American Novel,” then pad off to read the news-paper. You don’t hear much these days about the GAN (as Henry James nicknamed it), but that doesn’t mean writers don’t still quest after this literary grail—​or will-​o’-​the-​wisp.

*** After A Disaster In 'Family Life,' Relief Never Comes ***
<http://www.npr.org/2014/04/10/301417440/after-a-disaster-in-family-life-relief-never-comes>
Meg Wolitzer, NPR