[MyAppleMenu] Sep 24, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 24 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Apple iPhone 5s (AT&T) Review ***
<http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/smartphones/apple-iphone-5s.aspx>
Mark Spponauer, Laptop Magazine

> Assuming you prefer a more compact design, though, you'll be delighted with everything else the iPhone 5s has to offer. The improved iSight camera takes fantastic looking photos (especially in low light) and Apple still offers the best selection of high-quality apps, including the ones that are built in. Although we wish iOS 7 offered more customization and better parental controls, the experience is more polished and less cluttered than most Android phones. The bottom line is that the iPhone 5s is a superbly designed smartphone that deftly balances ease of use and swift performance with impactful features.

*** Strong iPhone Sales Lift Apple’s Asian Suppliers ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/09/24/strong-iphone-sales-lift-apples-asian-suppliers/>
Juro Osawa and Min-Jeong Lee, Wall Street Journal

*** Why Is Apple So Shifty About How It Makes The iPhone? ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/23/apple-shifty-about-making-iphone>
George Monbiot, The Guardian

> This states, with baffling ambiguity, that "Bangka Island, Indonesia, is one of the world's principal tin-producing regions. Recent concerns about the illegal mining of tin from this region prompted Apple to lead a fact-finding visit to learn more." Why conduct a fact-finding visit if you're not using the island's tin? And if you are using it, why not say so? Answer comes there none.

*** Adobe's Elements 12 Apps Add Cloud Sync, But Fall Short For Everyday Editing ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/24/4764586/adobe-elements-12-adds-cloud-sync-but-fall-short-for-everyday-editing>
Jeff Blagdon, The Verge

*** Free iCloud Storage Space To Vaporize September 30 ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/free-icloud-storage-space-to-vaporize-end-september/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** Why The IPhone Fingerprint Hack Is Nothing To Worry About ***
<http://www.chicagogrid.com/reviews/tech/iphone-5s-touch-id-foiled/>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Grid

> Touch ID is better than no security. It’s also “better than ‘better than no security’.” It’s a mature system that allows a consumer to erect a reasonable level of protection around the data inside an easy-to-lose device, without making that device harder to use.

*** Following Criticism & Lawsuit, Apple Refunding Breaking Bad iTunes Season Passes ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/23/following-criticism-class-action-lawsuit-apple-refunding-breaking-bad-itunes-season-passes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> In the email, Apple makes it clear that the decision to split the season up was not in its hands.

*** WavTap Review: A Free Way To Capture Your Mac's Audio ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2047234/wavtap-review-a-free-way-to-capture-your-macs-audio.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Popular Mac Campfire Client Flint Lands On iOS ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/23/popular-mac-campfire-client-flint-lands-on-ios/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** GIF Finder For iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/linked/gif-finder-for-ios-7/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> You can still search for GIFs matching a specific keyword, but the great addition of this version is that imgur’s reactiongifsarchive is now supported within the app, allowing you to browse GIFs by standalone categories.

*** Use The Apple Store App To See If iPhones Are Available At Your Local Store ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/use-the-apple-store-app-to-see-if-iphones-are-available-at-your-local-store>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

*** Daily iPhone App: Space Out With Angry Birds Star Wars II ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/23/daily-iphone-app-space-out-with-angry-birds-star-wars-ii/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> With Angry Birds Star Wars II, Rovio tries to recapture that same magic, and while the core mechanics remain largely unchanged, your enjoyment of the game will depend on how well you stomach in-app purchases.

*** After Botched Debut, New Apple TV Update Is Back With Fixes ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/23/after-botched-debut-new-apple-tv-update-is-back-with-fixes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Is There A Word For That? ***
<http://theamericanscholar.org/is-there-a-word-for-that/#.UkF8chbXct_>
Ralph Keyes, The American Scholar

> Soon after they arrived in America, British settlers got busy with an important task: reinventing their language.

*** Writing And Whistle-Blowing ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article09231301.aspx>
Morgan Meis, The Smart Set

> What does George Orwell have in common with Edward Snowden? They’ve both been trapped in bad situations.

*** Slo-mo Mojo ***
<http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21586532-small-creatures-fast-metabolisms-see-world-action-replay-slo-mo>
The Economist