[MyAppleMenu] Sep 25, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 25 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** The 10 Best New Photography Features In iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2049256/the-10-best-new-photography-features-in-ios-7.html#tk.rss_all>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> One major reason—maybe <i>the</i> reason—to snap up iOS 7 is the new photographic capabilities built into the Camera and Photos apps. The new features expand the range of photos you can take, and most are accessible and easy to use.

*** Olloclip Camera App Updated With iOS 7 Redesign And Cropping Presets ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/olloclip-camera-app-updated-with-ios-7-redesign-and-cropping-presets>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Photos Get Renewed Focus In iOS 7 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14120?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

> The camera controls look quite different, but it’s the Photos app that’s likely to cause the most disorientation initially.

*** A Tale Of Two (New) iMacs ***
<http://ifixit.org/5354/a-tale-of-two-new-imacs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ifixit%2Fblog+%28iFixit%29>
IFixIt

*** GeniusCam For iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/geniuscam-for-ios-7/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Made for iOS 7 and Universal, GeniusCam is, essentially, Photo Booth ported to the iPhone with some extra flair.

*** When iOS 7 Isn't Really The Worst Thing In The World ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2049360/when-ios-7-isnt-really-the-worst-thing-in-the-world.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> Whenever an operating system or application changes appearances in a radical way, people can get lost. Such is the case with iOS 7. In the past week I’ve read complaints that can be addressed simply by having a better understanding of what goes where. Let’s walk through a few.

*** TextExpander 4.1 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14134?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

*** iOS 7, You’re Making Me Sick. ***
<http://blog.thoughtbrain.com/2013/09/24/ios7-youre-making-me-sick/>
Thoughtbrain Brainfood

> No this is not a rant about the look of iOS 7, but the inability to turn off the animated zoom interaction as you go into your folders, open an app, multi-task through screens into another app. I have motion sickness and I guess no one else in the Apple team had this condition. Yes, you can turn off parallax in the accessibility. It’s not the parallax that is causing it, it’s the zooming. After seeing an article on App.net, I realized I wasn’t alone. I also found other people were complaining on the Apple’s Forums.

*** Apple's 64-Bit A7 Is No Gimmick ***
<http://www.infoworld.com/t/processors/apples-64-bit-a7-no-gimmick-227390>
Serdar Yegulalp, InfoWorld

*** AppleCare+ Now Covers Travelers’ iPhones, iPads, iPods In Any Country Where It’s Offered ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/24/applecare-now-covers-travelers-iphones-ipads-other-products-in-any-country-where-its-offered/>
Matthew Panzarino, TechCrunch

> This change means that if you’re traveling with your device, you’re able to get service in another country if you purchased AppleCare+ back at home.

*** Lost To The Ages ***
<http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9713372/looking-back-game-myst-20th-anniversary>
Emily Yoshida, Grantland

> Myst was supposed to change the face of gaming. What is its legacy 20 years later?

*** Apple Refreshes iMac With Haswell, Next-Gen Wi-Fi ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424768,00.asp>
Chloe Albanesius, PC Magazine

> The new 21.5- and 27-inch desktops get fourth-generation Intel quad-core processors, new graphics, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and faster PCIe flash storage options.

*** 5 Command Key Tricks For OS X To Improve Your Mac Workflow ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/09/24/5-command-key-tricks-for-mac-os-x/>
OS X Daily

> The Mac command key, sitting alongside the spacebar and containing that funky looking icon logo, is commonly used for initiating keyboard shortcuts throughout OS X. But that command key also has some nice usability tricks up its sleeve that are lesser known and underutilized, many of which can help with your general workflow throughout OS X and the Finder. Here are five particularly handy tips that use the command key.

*** Mac Apps Are Harder Than iOS Apps ***
<https://medium.com/tech-blogging/614338e2e470>
Matt Ronge

> Mac apps are trickier to build, and we aren’t likely to see that change in the near future. The APIs have more cruft, there are more hardware configurations, more OS features to worry about, and more hacked on APIs. If you are an iOS developer taking on a Mac project, make sure to give yourself ample time as it’s harder than it seems.

*** On Apple’s Vertical Silicon Strategy ***
<http://stevecheney.com/on-apples-vertical-silicon-strategy/>
Stve Cheney

> These points of collaboration started years ago and allow Apple to essentially treat silicon as a commodity they control, adjusting ‘make vs buy’ strategies years ahead of competitors, while wielding incredible power over suppliers. The results in a halo around platform evolution at the silicon level that is unmatchable.

*** Mystery Man ***
<http://www.poetryfoundation.org/article/246458>
Ruth Graham, Poetry Foundation

> For a few years in the 1930s, Ronald Lane Latimer struck gold as an editor, publishing Stevens, Williams, and more. Then he disappeared.

*** Gandhi’s Formative Years ***
<http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/1ca11fd0-1fc6-11e3-aa36-00144feab7de.html#axzz2fkjTOJKy>
Ramachandra Guha, Financial Times