[MyAppleMenu] Sep 23, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 23 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** The Security Lesson Of Touch ID ***
<http://rc3.org/2013/09/22/the-security-lesson-of-touch-id/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-security-lesson-of-touch-id>
Rafe Colburn

> Security has costs, usually in terms of both price and convenience. I already think that tapping in my four digit passcode sucks, I can’t imagine having a longer one. I’m also too lazy to memorize a random passcode, or ever change it. That’s my security posture. Needless to say, I’m not worried about this Touch ID exploit. You probably shouldn’t be, either. If you are, be glad that it’s optional and that you can turn off Simple Passcodes and pick a really good password to unlock your iPhone.

*** Photoshop Elements 12 Review: Mobile Albums And Content-aware Tools Dominate New Release ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2049093/photoshop-elements-12-review-mobile-albums-and-content-aware-tools-dominate-new-release.html#tk.rss_all>
Lesa Snider, Macworld

> While changes in version 12's Organizer focus on syncing and sharing photos for access on mobile devices, the Elements 12 Editor includes slick Instagram-inspired effects, textures, frames, new guided edits, and a content-aware move tool. Even more exciting is an intuitive image correction method that remembers how you use it and a Red-Eye tool that works on animals—two features that even its flagship sibling Photoshop CC doesn’t have.

*** Restoring A "Bricked" Apple TV ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2049202/restoring-a-bricked-apple-tv.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> In order to perform the update you’ll need a USB-to-micro-USB cable. This is the very tiny USB connector found on Kindle e-readers versus the larger trapezoidal connector used by many digital cameras.

*** Why Is Apple Ignoring People With Vision And Balance Problems? ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/why-is-apple-ignoring-people-with-vision-and-balance-problems/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> I wonder if Jony Ive is such a design fundamentalist that he refuses to understand that there are users – probably a large number – who are having difficulty with these interface elements. Things like parallax and translucency are cool, and look good in an Apple keynote, but in the real world, they can affect many users who have issues with their eyesight, or who have balance problems.

*** How Many Photos Will The iPhone 5S Handset's Burst Mode Take? ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/how-many-photos-will-the-iphone-5s-handsets-burst-mode-take>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** Why Can’t FileMaker Pro Recognize Numbers Files? ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/09/23/why-cant-filemaker-pro-recognize-numbers-files/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

> It’s sorta sad and confusing that FileMaker Pro can open/convert a large number of file formats, including Excel spreadsheets, but doesn’t recognize Numbers files.

*** Apple Airs New 'Greetings Too' iPhone 5C Ad ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/23/apple-airs-new-greetings-too-iphone-5c-ad/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** Apple Announces Record 9 Million iPhone Sales Over First Three Days, 200 Million iOS 7 Updates ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/23/apple-announces-9-million-iphone-sales-over-first-three-days/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple has just announced first-weekend sales figures for the iPhone 5s and 5c. Sales for both phones total 9 million. In comparison, the iPhone 5 shipments topped 5 million in the same period.

Gold.

*** Apple TV Software 6.0 Update Goes Missing, Possibly Pulled Due To Bricking Issues ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-tv-software-60-update-goes-missing-possibly-pulled-due-bricking-issues>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

*** Write For iPhone 2.0 Features iOS 7 Redesign, New Themes, Rich Text Editing And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/write-for-iphone-2-0-features-ios-7-redesign-new-themes-rich-text-editing-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Chaos Computer Club Hackers Trick Apple’s TouchID Security Feature ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/chaos-computer-club-hackers-trick-apples-touchid-security-feature/>
Nathan Mattise, Ars Technica

> Germany's Chaos Computing Club claim to have tricked Apple's new TouchID security feature this weekend. In a blog post on the breakthrough, the CCC writes they bypassed the fingerprint-reader by simply starting with "the fingerprint of the phone user photographed from a glass surface."

*** Poem Of The Week: To Autumn By John Keats ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2013/sep/23/poem-week-to-autumn-john-keats>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian