[MyAppleMenu] Sep 22, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 22 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Do You Miss The .Com Button On The iOS 7 Keyboard? Use This Trick ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/do-you-miss-the-com-button-on-the-ios-7-keyboard-use-this-trick/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> When you’re in a web browser, and want to type .com, just tap and hold the . button to the right of the space bar, and you’ll see a popup menu which lets you choose from a number of top-level domains.

*** New Apple Store At Stanford Mall Highlights Retail Challenges ***
<http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-new-apple-store-at-stanford-mall-debuts-unique-design-20130917,0,1840502.story>
Chris O'Brien, Los Angeles Times

> In the most recent earnings call with analysts, Apple chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer said the company had relocated four stores in the June quarter. The company expects to complete a total of 23 relocations in fiscal 2013 ending Sept. 30.

> So far, Apple has spent spent $309 million on retail store construction, a figure expected to top $600 million by the end of the year.

*** Apple’s iOS 7 Includes A Surprise: A Ticket To The Next Generation Of The Internet ***
<http://qz.com/126642/apples-ios7-includes-a-surprise-a-ticket-to-the-next-generation-of-the-internet/>
Christopher Mims, Quartz

> For five years, researchers have toiled over an obscure bit of fundamental internet infrastructure that promises to make the connections to our mobile devices faster and more reliable than ever, and if you’ve already downloaded Apple’s iOS 7 to your iPhone or iPad, you could be using it already.

*** Apple’s iPhone 5 Touchscreen Is 2.5 Times Faster Than Android devices ***
<http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/19/apples-iphone-5-touchscreen-is-2-5-times-faster-than-android-devices/>
Dean Takahashi, VentureBeat

> Apple’s iPhone 5 is 2.5 times faster at responding to touches than Google Android devices, according to a benchmark test by game and app streaming firm Agawi.

*** Tim Cook: The Complete Interview ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-20/apple-ceo-tim-cooks-complete-interview-with-bloomberg-businessweek>
Sam Grobart, Bloomberg

*** Review: Perfect Shot For iOS 7 Helps With Group Camera Shots ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/21/review-perfect-shot-by-tapmedia-is-a-new-ios-7-app-that-helps-you-take-the-perfect-shot/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Sarah Guarino, 9 To 5 Mac

> While holding either an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, to take a picture, Perfect Shot detects how many people are in the image. The app monitors and detects everyone’s sets of eyes and their smiles. Once everyone in the group is not blinking and smiling, the app automatically snaps the photo, without the need for the user to press the shutter button.

*** New iOS 7 Bug Lets You Make Non-emergency Calls From The Lock Screen ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/new-ios-7-bug-lets-you-make-non-emergency-calls-from-the-lock-screen/>
Megan Geuss, Ars Technica

> To produce the bug, simply type any number into the Emergency Call screen, then rapidly tap the Call button until the phone brings up an empty screen with an Apple logo. At that point, the phone is making the call to the number requested.

*** Hush Up, Franzen! Don’t Blame Twitter For Shallowness ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/09/22/hush_up_franzen_dont_blame_twitter_for_shallowness/>
Clive Thompson, Salon