[MyAppleMenu] Sep 21, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 21 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Chomsky’s “Universal Language” Is Incomplete ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/09/21/how_to_understand_the_deep_structures_of_language_partner/>
Joshua K. Hartshorne, Salon

> The famous theory doesn't adequately address why human languages have so much in common.

*** Words App Review: Get Your Internet Reading List Under Control ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2047129/words-app-review-get-your-internet-reading-list-under-control.html#tk.rss_all>
Ray Aguilera, Macworld

*** Barron’s Bilingual Dictionaries Now Available As Mac OS X Apps ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/09/21/barrons-bilingual-dictionaries-now-available-as-mac-os-x-apps/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

*** Hands-on: First Impressions Of The iPhone 5S ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2049062/hands-on-first-impressions-of-the-iphone-5s.html#tk.rss_all>
Jason Snell, Macworld

> So is the iPhone 5s twice as fast as the iPhone 5? Not in every case, but in a whole lot of them, the answer is yes.

*** Hands-on: First Impressions Of The iPhone 5C ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2049063/hands-on-first-impressions-of-the-iphone-5c.html#tk.rss_all>
Jason Snell, Macworld

> The plastic back doesn’t feel cheap or crummy, it feels solid. It’s shiny and attractive, if slightly larger than the iPhone 5. In fact, comparing it to an iPhone 5, it feels like an iPhone 5 wearing a very thin (and colorful) shell of a case.

*** First Impressions Of iOS 7 For Keyboard Power Users ***
<http://the.taoofmac.com/space/blog/2013/09/19/0900#first-impressions-of-ios-7-for-keyboard-power-users>
Tao Of Mac

> It’s not quite baked yet.

*** The Difference Between The Space Gray iPhone 5S And The Black iPhone 5 ***
<http://www.imore.com/difference-between-space-gray-iphone-5s-and-black-iphone-5>
Richard Devine, iMore

> See the difference in color for yourselves.

*** Unhappy With iOS 7? Downgrade While You Still Can ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2049091/unhappy-with-ios-7-downgrade-while-you-still-can.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> It happens that Apple is still signing the most recent versions of iOS 6, but it may not do so for long. Therefore, if you feel that you’ve made a fatal mistake by upgrading to iOS 7, now’s the time to fire up your Mac to grab iOS 6 and perform the downgrade.

*** Apple’s Mysterious M7 Processor Uncovered ***
<http://ifixit.org/5311/apples-mysterious-m7-processor-uncovered/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ifixit%2Fblog+%28iFixit%29>
IFixIt

> Further digging by Chipworks gave us the identity of Apple’s mysterious M7 processor, a chip that was conspicuously absent from last night’s iPhone 5s teardown. It’s an NXP LPC1800 device that was buried beneath a neoprene-looking cover.

*** Get Started With The iPhone 5C And 5S ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2049089/get-started-with-the-iphone-5c-and-5s.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

*** iOS 7: See The Timestamp On Every Messages Bubble ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/20/ios-7-see-the-timestamp-on-every-messages-bubble/>
Yoni Heisler, TUAW

> To do so, simply swipe to the left while in a conversation view and timestamps appear on the right-hand side of the screen.

*** You Can Now Follow Apple CEO Tim Cook On Twitter ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/09/20/can-now-follow-apple-ceo-tim-cook-twitter/>
Toby Wellington, Macgasm

> “Visited Retail Stores in Palo Alto today. Seeing so many happy customers reminds us of why we do what we do,” it read, as Tim Cook spent time stopping by some Apple Store locations to celebrate the today’s launch of the iPhone 5S and 5C.

*** “I‘m Not Leaving Without A Gold One!” Tales From The iPhone 5S Line ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/im-not-leaving-without-a-gold-one-tales-from-the-iphone-5s-line/>
Lee Hutchinson, Ars Technica

> It's true for restaurants, and it's true for retail, as well—haranguing the staff on an assumption of entitlement is bad, and if you do it, you should feel bad. And you should not get a gold iPhone, either.

*** Apple TV 6.0 Update Released With iTunes Radio & iCloud Photo Stream Support ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/09/20/apple-tv-6-0-update-released-with-itunes-radio-icloud-photo-stream-support/>
OS X Daily

*** Apple’s A7 Chip Again Made By Samsung, Camera By Sony And Non-descript ‘M7′ Chip By NXP ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/20/apples-a7-chip-again-made-by-samsung-naysayers-were-wrong-again/>
Seth Weintraub, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Seven Top Tips For iOS 7 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14121?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> Here are seven top tips — culled from the massive set of tiny changes in iOS 7 — that you might have missed.

*** Stephen King: On Alcoholism And Returning To The Shining ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/sep/21/stephen-king-shining-sequel-interview>
Emma Brockes, The Guardian