[MyAppleMenu] Sep 20, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 20 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Apple Suppliers To Boost Gold iPhone Production ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/09/19/apple-suppliers-to-boost-gold-iphone-production/>
Juro Osawa And Lorraine Luk, Wall Street Journal

> Apple Inc. has asked its suppliers to increase production of the gold-colored iPhone 5S by an additional one-third after seeing strong demand, people familiar with the situation said. It isn’t clear whether there are currently supply constraints manufacturing the new iPhone.

*** iTunes 11: Apple Has Broken Podcasts (But Here’s How To Partly Fix Them) ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/itunes-11-apple-has-broken-podcasts-but-heres-how-to-partly-fix-them/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> If you’ve been downloading and saving podcasts – because you haven’t gotten around to listening to them, or just because there are some you want to save – you’ll find that most of your podcasts are simply gone.

This is bad.

*** Lifting The Lid On The iOS 7 UIPicker ***
<http://blog.ittybittyapps.com/blog/2013/09/20/lifting-the-lid-on-ios-7s-uipicker/>
Sean Woodhouse, Itty Bitty Labs

> So when the new iOS 7 picker arrived on the scene there was a piece of me that thought, ‘cool, they’ve cleaned it up and done the 3D effect properly’. That was until I got to use the thing.

*** iPhone 5S Teardown ***
<http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5s+Teardown/17383/1>
IFixIt

> As we search for a much-anticipated M7 coprocessor, we begin to wonder if it actually is a separate IC, or if it is additional functionality built into the A7.

*** iPhone 5c Teardown ***
<http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5c+Teardown/17382/1>
IFixIt

> Though the 5c is essentially a repackaged iPhone 5 (in colored plastic, in case that hadn't been made apparent, yet), the battery has been beefed up a bit, clocking in at 3.8 V—5.73 Wh—1510 mAh, compared to the 3.8 V—5.45 Wh—1440 mAh battery of the iPhone 5.

*** Apple Brings iCloud Bookmark Syncing For Chrome And Firefox To Windows PCs ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/18/apple-brings-icloud-bookmark-syncing-for-chrome-and-firefox-to-windows-pcs>
AppleInsider

> Apple's iCloud Control Panel 3.0 for Windows continues to offer cross-device mail, contacts and calendar syncing between iPhones, iPads, iPod touches, Macs and Windows PCs, but adds support for bookmarks saved in Chrome and Firefox.

*** Yes, Apple Is Working On A Fix For The iOS 7 Lock Screen Hack ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20130919/yes-apple-is-working-on-a-fix-for-the-ios-7-lock-screen-hack/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> “Apple takes user security very seriously,” Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller told AllThingsD. “We are aware of this issue, and will deliver a fix in a future software update.”

*** Apple Updates Apple Configurator With Support For iOS 7 Features And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/apple-updates-apple-configurator-with-support-for-ios-7-features-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple Rickrolls The World With iOS 7 Knowledge Base Article ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/19/apple-rickrolls-the-world-with-ios-7-knowledge-base-article/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> Rick Astley's "classic" tune "Never Gonna Give You Up" is playing on the iPhone belonging to the wag who wrote the KB piece. And that, my friends, is a classic rickroll.

*** Let’s Get Ready To Rumble. ***
<http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/lets-get-ready-to-rumble>
J.K. Appleseed, McSweeney's

> Barbara is deflating on the designer stool right in front of me when my teammate brings out her laptop and, thank God, it actually boots up intact.

> “It’s working,” I beam.

> “Do you know how to check my pictures?”

> “Sure,” I reply. “Right here in iPhoto.”

> A grid of images of Barbara and a silver-haired man spring up. I wish I could un-see some of the images in customers’ photo libraries, but these are extraordinarily vanilla. Awkward-seated portraits in a garden, by some boats, at the beach, basic slice of life banality.

> “That’s my husband.”

> She’s crying with joy.

> “He died last year… before I could print any of these images out. Thank you!”

> My stomach drops. This, my manager didn’t know to tell me. I try hard not think of what it would have meant had we not gotten her computer back online.

*** How To Use Multiple Apple IDs In iOS 7 ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/19/how-to-use-multiple-apple-ids-in-ios-7/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

*** How “The Simpsons” Fixed Apple’s iPhone Keyboard ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/09/19/how_the_simpsons_fixed_apples_iphone_keyboard_newscred/>
Austin Carr, Salon

> “In the hallways [at Apple] and while we were talking about the keyboard, you would always hear the words ‘Eat Up Martha,’” Ganatra recalls. “If you heard people talking and they used the words ‘Eat Up Martha,’ it was basically a reference to the fact that we needed to nail the keyboard. We needed to make sure the text input works on this thing, otherwise, ‘Here comes the Eat Up Marthas.’”

*** It’s The Little Things ***
<http://verynicewebsite.net/2013/09/its-the-little-things/>
John Moltz's Very Nice Web Site

> For example, I use the timer feature every day for various reasons but mostly cooking. Now the lock screen displays the amount of time left on a timer. It’s a little thing, but it’s of huge value to me because I use it every day.

*** Long Lines Forming At Apple Stores Around The Globe For iPhone 5S/5c Retail Launch ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/19/long-lines-start-forming-at-apple-stores-worldwide-for-iphone-5s5c-retail-launch/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

> As online sales for the iPhone 5s begin to go live in Australia, Asia, and now the UK, lines outside of Apple stores around the world are starting to grow in anticipation the September 20th, 8AM retail launch of the iPhone 5s and 5c.

*** iPhone Shortages Frustrate Networks On Launch Day ***
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24160158>
Dave Lee, BBC

> Several networks said that stock of the latest premium model - the 5S - was severely limited, and would likely cause disappointment.

> None of the networks contacted wanted to be identified over worries they could be further disadvantaged when supplies were replenished.

*** Jony Ive: The Man Behind Apple's Magic Curtain ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/09/19/apple-jony-ive-craig-federighi/2834575/>
Marco della Cava, USA Today

> In a rare interview, Ive, joined by Federighi, settles into a spartan meeting room with a simple black-and-white photo of a MacBook on one wall and the new lineup of iPhones on a counter. Over the course of an hour, the pair discusses their teamwork, personal philosophies and commitment to Apple's unwavering mission.

*** Government Officials Praises iOS 7′S Activation Lock Feature ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/09/19/government-officials-praises-ios-7s-activation-lock-feature/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

*** Google Makes Quickoffice For Android And iOS Free For All, Bringing Microsoft Office Editing To The Mobile Masses ***
<http://thenextweb.com/google/2013/09/19/google-makes-quickoffice-for-android-and-ios-free-for-all-bringing-microsoft-office-editing-to-the-masses/>
Emil Protalinski, The Next Web

> Google today announced it is making Quickoffice free for everyone. That means Android and iOS users can edit Microsoft Office documents, spreadsheets, and presentations on the go without paying a dime.

*** iOS 7 Lock Screen Vulnerability Discovered, Gives Access To Photos And Social Sharing ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-lock-screen-vulnerability-discovered-gives-access-to-photos-and-social-sharing/>
Matthew Panzarino, TechCrunch

*** Peering At iOS 7 For The Vision Impaired ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14122?rss>
TidBITS

> Over the years, Apple has shown a strong commitment to accessibility in iOS, improving on it with each major version of the operating system. This year is no different, as iOS 7 adds accessibility options — such as Dynamic Text and Increase Contrast — that are sure to be appreciated by users who rely on such capabilities to interact with their iOS devices. Being legally blind, I appreciate them, so follow along as I share the most noteworthy of iOS 7’s vision-related features.

*** The Top 5 iOS7 Ringtones ***
<http://www.theawl.com/2013/09/the-top-5-ios7-ringtones>
Alan Hanson, The Awl

*** Book Review: ‘Jim Henson’ By Brian Jay Jones ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/book-review-jim-henson-by-brian-jay-jones/2013/09/20/e276c9e6-fdeb-11e2-96a8-d3b921c0924a_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
David Kirby, Washington Post