[MyAppleMenu] Sep 19, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 19 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Apple Launches “Kids” App Store Category ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-launches-kids-app-store-category/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Create Your Own Magical Worlds In Disney Infinity: Toy Box ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/create-your-own-magical-worlds-in-disney-infinity-toy-box>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** Byword Now Optimized For iOS 7 With New Design And New Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/byword-now-optimized-for-ios-7-with-new-design-and-new-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** App Store Developers Now Allowed To Manage Legacy App Availability ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/19/app-store-developers-now-allowed-to-manage-legacy-app-availability/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple Chiefs Discuss Strategy, Market Share—and The New iPhones ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/153204-apple-chiefs-discuss-strategy-market-share-and-the-new-iphones>
Sam Grobart, Bloomberg

> To Cook, the mobile industry doesn’t race to the bottom, it splits. One part does indeed go cheap, with commoditized products that compete on little more than price. “There’s always a large junk part of the market,” he says. “We’re not in the junk business.” The upper end of the industry justifies its higher prices with greater value. “There’s a segment of the market that really wants a product that does a lot for them, and I want to compete like crazy for those customers,” he says. “I’m not going to lose sleep over that other market, because it’s just not who we are. Fortunately, both of these markets are so big, and there’s so many people that care and want a great experience from their phone or their tablet, that Apple can have a really good business.”

*** iOS 7'S Biggest Annoyances (And How To Fix Them) ***
<http://lifehacker.com/ios-7s-biggest-annoyances-and-how-to-fix-them-1334420963>
Thorin Klosowski, Lifehacker

*** Watch A Cat Unlock The iPhone 5S Using Touch ID And The Fingerprint Sensor ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/19/watch-a-cat-unlock-the-iphone-5s-using-touch-id-and-the-fingerprint-sensor/>
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch

> The cat’s paw worked, and while it encountered more frequent failures than did a fingerprint, it was able to unlock the phone again repeatedly when positioned correctly on the sensor.

*** Angry Birds Star Wars II Hits The App Store ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/18/angry-birds-star-wars-ii-hits-the-app-store/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** Begin.app ***
<http://minimalmac.com/post/61636304916/begin-app>
Patrick Rhone, Minimal Mac

> Begin is cleanly designed. There is no muss or fuss in this app. It really is about getting in, creating, and marking off tasks as quickly as possible.

*** Web Filtering In iOS 7 ***
<http://speirs.org/blog/2013/9/18/web-filtering-in-ios-7.html>
Fraser Speirs

*** Instacast 4: Revamped For iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/instacast-4-revamped-for-ios-7/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

> Not only has the app been updated to adopt the look and feel of Apple’s translucency and flat iconography, it’s been significantly improved with the introduction of a sidebar and simpler now playing controls.

*** OmniOutliner 2: Refined For iOS 7, Now With External Keyboard Support ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/omnioutliner-2-refined-for-ios-7-now-with-external-keyboard-support/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

> In OmniOutliner 2, the leather clad app is composed of clean shades of white, adopting iOS 7′s modern styling. It’s very much the same app as before with a cleaner look, flatter highlights, and square app previews.

*** iTunes 11.1 Brings iTunes Radio, Genius Shuffle, Podcast Stations, More ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2048947/itunes-11-1-brings-itunes-radio-genius-shuffle-podcast-stations-more.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

*** OmniFocus 2 For iPhone: Background Sync And A Bold Redesign ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/omnifocus-2-for-iphone-background-sync-and-a-bold-redesign/>
Don Southard, MacStories

> OmniFocus 2 is a bold redesign. The Omni Group could have played it safe but instead they dove head first into creating an app from the ground-up that is fully assimilated to the new iOS 7 way of life.

*** Screens 3 Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/screens-3-review/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

> Screens lets you access your Mac or PC from your touchscreen iOS device. You can remotely connect to any of your computers, launch apps, and remotely control your personal computers at home or across the Internet.

*** Drafts 3.5 Brings Refined Interface For iOS 7, Action Improvements ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/drafts-3-5-brings-refined-interface-for-ios-7-action-improvements/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> With the release of iOS 7, developer Greg Pierce has decided to make Drafts 3.5 an iOS 7-only app that includes an updated design and some new features for power users.

*** iTunes 11 Now Uses Notification Center In OS X ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/itunes-11-now-uses-notification-center-in-os-x/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> Now, on OS X, you can get notifications for song changes. These notifications can be banners or alerts, and song changes can also be recorded in Notification Center.

*** Pocket Adds Instant Sync, Improved Reading Experience With iOS 7 Update ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/pocket-adds-instant-sync-improved-reading-experience-with-ios-7-update/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Today, Pocket is updating its iOS app to take advantage of iOS 7 and ensuring that content is always available on an iPhone or iPad, even if the app isn’t running. The new Pocket is a good example of developers using the new iOS 7 APIs to enhance existing apps.

*** iOS 7.0.1 Will Be Ready For iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C On Friday ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/18/ios-7-0-1-will-be-ready-for-iphone-5s-iphone-5c-on-friday/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** Clear Is Now A New Universal App, With New Features On iPad ***
<http://appadvice.com/review/clear-is-now-a-new-universal-app-with-new-features-on-ipad/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Christine Chan, AppAdvice

*** Apple Posts New “Designed Together” Commercial For iPhone 5C And iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-posts-new-designed-together-commercial-for-iphone-5c-and-ios-7/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Instapaper 5.0: Sorting And Filtering Options, Tweaked Interface For iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/instapaper-5-0-sorting-and-filtering-options-tweaked-interface-for-ios-7/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Instapaper 5.0 doesn’t add any new major functionality to the app, which is still largely similar to the version 4.0 that was first released two years ago. Betaworks made the app ready for iOS 7, polished the interface, and added some new minor functionalities that, however, nicely complement the reading experience.

*** You Can’t Play Podcasts From The iOS Music App Any More ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/you-cant-play-podcasts-from-the-ios-music-app-any-more/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** Apple Raises Over-the-air Download Cap In iOS To 100MB ***
<http://www.theverge.com/apple/2013/9/18/4746266/apple-raises-over-the-air-download-cap-in-ios-to-100mb>
Bryan Bishop, The Verge

*** iOS 7 Review ***
<http://www.imore.com/ios-7-review>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> It's messy, and iOS 7 is still messy around the edges. I've been using iOS 7 since June, through all the betas, on all my main devices. I know from its messy. But it's also damn good.

*** Tune Into iTunes Radio ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14115?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** iTunes 11.1 Adds iOS 7 Compatibility And iTunes Radio ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14118?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> Good news for podcast fans: iTunes 11.1 finally syncs podcasts wirelessly over iCloud with Apple’s Podcasts app for iOS.

*** Poetry Isn't As Useless As A Lot Of Poets Say It Is ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/09/poetry-isnt-as-useless-as-a-lot-of-poets-say-it-is/279539/>
Noah Berlatsky, The Atlantic

> A recent speech at Yale inadvertently sums up what's wrong with the art form these days: Its gatekeepers believe poetry matters because it's poetry, not because of what it says.

*** Is There A Word For That? ***
<http://theamericanscholar.org/is-there-a-word-for-that/#.UjsU5xbXct9>
Ralph Keyes, The American Scholar