[MyAppleMenu] Sep 17, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 17 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** QuarkXPress 10 Sports New Graphics Engine, Retina Display Support, More ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/09/17/quarkxpress-10-sports-new-graphics-engine-retina-display-support-more%E2%80%A8/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

*** 10 Tips For Managing Minimized Windows ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2048857/10-tips-for-managing-minimized-windows.html#tk.rss_all>
Sharon Zardetto, Macworld

> Do you minimize your windows with abandon, crowding your Dock with miniature documents? Do you rarely minimize anything, crowding your screen with multiple windows? Knowing the big and small options for this basic window-wrangling feature can save you both time and space.

*** Reservations For Unlocked iPhone 5S Quickly Depleted In China, Other Models Remain Available ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/16/reservations-for-gold-unlocked-iphone-5s-quickly-depleted-in-beijing>
Mikey Campbell, AppleInsider

> According to Chinese language publication Sina Tech, the gold iPhone 5s appears to be one the most popular models in the country's capital city, with first day stock running out at the Sanlitun, Xidan Joy City, and Wangfujing Apple Stores just two hours after reservations went live on Tuesday, local Beijing time.

*** Worms 3 Updated With New Campaign Missions, Private Messaging And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/worms-3-updated-with-new-campaign-missions-private-messaging-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Amazon Instant Video For iOS Now Supports AirPlay ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/17/4740080/amazon-instant-video-airplay-support>
Aaron Souppouris, The Verge

*** Apple Handing Out ‘Last Compatible Version’ Of iOS Apps To People With Old Phones ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/09/17/apple-handing-last-compatible-version-ios-apps-people-old-phones/>
Joshua Schnell, Macgasm

> According to reports around the social networks, Apple has begun offering people with older iOS devices the ability to download the “last compatible” version of applications to download.

*** A Month Inside Apple's Walled Garden: It's Not As Bad As You'd Think ***
<http://lifehacker.com/a-month-inside-apples-walled-garden-its-not-as-bad-a-1304272986>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

> While third-party apps may work better, you didn’t buy an iPhone because you wanted choice. People buy iPhones because they work well and they look nice. You know what to expect from Apple’s mobile darling, and that’s pretty comforting if you rely on your smartphone for many daily tasks. You don’t have to maintain it like a computer. You know it’ll be there for you when you need it. You can get fed up with restrictions and a lack of options, but do you really need your phone to do everything you ever wanted? Do you really need that much choice?

*** Dear Apple: Good Luck Against The Smartphone Black Market ***
<http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/09/16/222125010/dear-apple-good-luck-against-the-smartphone-black-market>
Ilya Marritz, NPR

> Last week, Apple introduced two new iPhones with new features, including fingerprint recognition on one model, and extra password protections. But the new technology is up against a sophisticated black market that has had years to grow and adapt to meet the world's desire for smartphones.

*** Mini Review: Giant Boulder Of Death! (iOS) ***
<http://www.capebretonpost.com/Blog-Article/b/25062/Mini-review-Giant-Boulder-of-Death-iOS>
T.J. Colello, Cape Breton Post

*** You Can Download Firefox 24 For Windows, Mac, And Linux Right Now; Official Launch Tomorrow ***
<http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/09/17/you-can-download-firefox-24-for-windows-mac-and-linux-right-now-official-launch-tomorrow/>
Emil Protalinski, The Next Web

*** Type Faster With OS X's Autocomplete ***
<http://lifehacker.com/type-faster-with-os-xs-autocomplete-1325410607>
Thorin Klosowski, Lifehacker

*** Apple Releases First iPhone 5C Commercial, "Plastic Perfected" ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/16/apple-releases-first-iphone-5c-commercial-plastic-perfected/>
Yoni Heisler, TUAW

> Titled "Plastic Perfected", the commercial features colorful liquids transforming into iPhone 5c devices and ends with the tagline, "For the colorful."

*** How To Look Up Words While Typing In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57602909-263/how-to-look-up-words-while-typing-in-os-x/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If you are word processing and need to look up a definition or two, or if you cannot think of a specific word but know the first few letters of it, there are several services built into OS X that can help you with this.

*** iPhone 2013: Apple Lays Foundations For Future Innovation ***
<http://blogs.computerworld.com/smartphones/22818/iphone-2013-apple-lays-foundations-future-innovation>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

> Innovation takes time. It is quite telling that after a fairly fallow 2013, the company is still putting its framework together. Just how extensive are its plans?

> Think on Cook's statement to Goldman Sach's earlier this year: "The real magic is at the intersection of hardware, software and services. This isn't something you can sign a check for. You spend decades building up the experience."

*** Facebook Speeds Up Messenger For iPhone, Adds New Languages ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/16/facebook-speeds-up-messenger-for-iphone-adds-new-languages/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Why A Disembodied Finger Can't Be Used To Unlock The Touch ID Sensor On The iPhone 5S ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/16/why-a-disembodied-finger-cant-be-used-to-unlock-the-touch-id-se/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> RF waves do not respond to the dead layer of skin on the outside of your finger -- the part that might be chapped or too dry to be read with much accuracy -- and instead reads only the living tissue underneath. This produces an extremely precise image of your print, and ensures that a severed finger is completely useless.

*** Philosophy Is Not A 'Ridiculous' Pursuit. It Is Worth Funding ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/17/defence-philosophy-abbott>
Paul Redding, The Guardian

> I remember a cartoon from the 1960s: a man in an office is leaning back in his chair, feet crossed on the desk, staring at the ceiling. The sign on the half-open door reads “philosophy department”. A passing colleague asks: “Dan, don’t you ever stop working?” A nice joke, having the right combination of absurdity and half-truth. Philosophy is an activity that can look like inactivity. But let’s not get carried away. Philosophising is, like all intellectual work, work.

*** From Mars ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/09/23/130923fa_fact_widdicombe?currentPage=all>
Lizzie Widdicombe, New Yorker

> A young man’s adventures in women’s publishing.

*** I Didn't Love My Wife When We Got Married ***
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elad-nehorai/i-didnt-love-my-wife_b_3908956.html>
Elad Nehorai, The Huffington Post

> No, love isn't an emotion or even a noun. It's a verb. Better defined as giving. As putting someone else's needs above your own.

*** We’ll Never Find Atlantis ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/09/we_ll_never_find_atlantis_that_s_why_we_keep_looking.html>
Emily Tamkin, Slate