[MyAppleMenu] Sep 16, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 16 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Pocket Casts For iOS 7 Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/pocket-casts-for-ios-7-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Pocket Casts 4 is a great podcast client for iOS 7. The push notification and sync systems are reliable, and automatic downloads finally make for an invisible download experience that happens behind the scenes and you don’t have to think about.

*** Six Great TextEdit Tricks ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2048573/six-great-textedit-tricks.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> This text app comes as part of OS X, and can meet many of your writing needs. It doesn’t offer advanced page layout features such as columns and image wrap, but it does provide most of the fundamentals. Simplicity comes with benefits, too. TextEdit is sleek and fast.

*** In Japan, Typhoon Disrupts iPhone Queue As Customers Take Refuge In Apple Store ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/in-japan-typhoon-disrupts-iphone-queue-as-customers-take-refuge-in-apple-store>
Joe White, AppAdvice

> In Japan, customers have been queuing on Tokyo’s Ginza for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c since last week. Today, however, a powerful typhoon meant that these Apple die-hards were forced to take refuge in the nearby Apple Retail Store, as adverse weather conditions posed a serious danger.

*** Designing An iPhone 5C/5s Case? Here Are Your Official Apple Schematics ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/16/designing-an-iphone-5c5s-case-here-are-your-official-apple-schematics/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

*** PDF Expert For iPhone And iPod Touch Gains iCloud Support And Other Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/pdf-expert-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch-gains-icloud-support-and-other-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple Seen Seeding Future Wearable Products In IPhone ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-16/apple-seen-seeding-future-wearable-products-in-iphone.html>
Adam Satariano, Bloomberg

> A new motion-sensor chip inside the iPhone 5s lays the groundwork for wearable-computing products, while a fingerprint sensor opens more opportunities to make the smartphone a tool for making purchases at stores, according to technology analysts who study Apple. Another new processor chip in the device may give the company the chance to switch its Mac computers away from Intel Corp. (INTC) chips.

Can't wait.

*** Change The Default Email Address On The iPhone And iPad ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/09/15/change-default-email-address-ios/>
OS X Daily

> Unless it has been changed before, the default email address is always the first email account that has been setup on the iOS device. But for those who use multiple mail accounts on their iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, changing the default sending address is often important, since whatever is set as the default is what gets used by all other aspects of iOS when sharing through email, including photos or links, and this applies to Mail app as well as third party apps.

*** Apple Market Share: Facts And Psychology ***
<http://www.mondaynote.com/2013/09/15/apple-market-share-facts-and-psychology/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+monday-note+%28Monday+Note%29>
Jean-Louis Gassée, Monday Note

> After much complaining to the media about “excessive” iPhone subsidies, carriers now appear to agree with Horace Dediu who sees the iPhone as a great “salesman” for carriers, because it generates higher revenue per user (ARPU). As a result, the cell philanthropists offer lower prices to attract and keep users — and pay Apple more for the iPhone sales engine.

*** Bad Dreams ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2013/09/23/130923fi_fiction_hadley>
Tessa Hadley, New Yorker

*** Snaps Of America ***
<http://www.full-stop.net/2013/09/03/blog/larissa-pham/snaps-of-america/?src=longreads>
Larissa Pham, Full Stop

> I am standing on a dirt trail that winds up a lushly forested hill, somewhere in Wisconsin, holding my iPhone in one hand and my friend Cameron’s car keys in the other. I tap the screen, pointing the camera at my white sneakers and the red dust that’s beginning to settle on them, then pan to the trees and the trail, recording my halting progress up the hill until it gets too steep and I have to use both hands for balance, scurrying like a mountain goat up the overlook. Cam is waiting at the top, hand shading his eyes surveyor-style, his phone out, too.

> “Sorry it took a while,” I tell Cam, handing him the keys. “It’s steep, and I was vine-ing.” The six-second loop is still playing in my hand, while we’re talking. My feet, the trees, the path, the achingly blue sky. “There’s no service up here, though.”

*** How Detroit Went Broke: The Answers May Surprise You - And Don't Blame Coleman Young ***
<http://www.freep.com/interactive/article/20130915/NEWS01/130801004/Detroit-Bankruptcy-history-1950-debt-pension-revenue?>
Nathan Bomey And John Gallagher, Detroit Free Press

> Detroit is broke, but it didn’t have to be. An in-depth Free Press analysis of the city’s financial history back to the 1950s shows that its elected officials and others charged with managing its finances repeatedly failed — or refused — to make the tough economic and political decisions that might have saved the city from financial ruin.

*** Still Shining And Spooked, But Hopeful ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/16/books/doctor-sleep-is-stephen-kings-sequel-to-the-shining.html?_r=1&emc=rss&partner=rss&>
Janet Maslin, New York Times