[MyAppleMenu] Oct 30, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 30 18:59:01 EDT 2013

*** Taiwan Protests Apple Maps That Show Island As Province Of China ***
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9243656/Taiwan_protests_Apple_maps_that_show_island_as_province_of_China?source=rss_operatingsystems&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+computerworld%2Fs%2Ffeed%2Ftopic%2F123+%28Computerworld+Mac+OS+News%29>
Michael Kan, IDG News Service

> Taiwan is demanding Apple revise its mapping software and remove a label that describes the island as a province of China, rather than as a sovereign state.

*** Ditch Mavericks's Mail: Other Email Apps You Can Try ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2058525/ditch-maverickss-mail-other-email-apps-you-can-try.html#tk.rss_all>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> If the Gmail issue proves to be the last straw for you, it might be time to ditch Mail and find another email client. I’ve gathered the names of programs available for the Mac today; many are free or have a trial version you can try.

*** 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Review: Thinner, Lighter, And Faster Never Hurts ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2059045/13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-review-thinner-lighter-and-faster-never-hurts.html#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith, Macworld

> You may not know it to look at them, but the latest 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display models are thinner and lighter than the Retina systems they replace. Lighter is always better in a portable—but factor in the new MacBook Pro’s increased battery life and the faster integrated graphics, and you have a laptop you can love.

*** Numbers 3.0 (2013) For Mac Review - Update To Apple’s Excel-alternative ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/?reviewid=3476157&olo=rss>
Mark Hattersley, Macworld UK

> Numbers has always been an oddball but it’s not getting more sensible with age. Numbers for Mac OS X doesn’t so much rival Excel as out-manoeuvre it; but is it too leftfield for anybody to truly love?

*** Pages For Mac Review - Now A Standalone App From Apple ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/?reviewid=3476155&olo=rss>
Karl Hodge, Macworld UK

> There’s a brand new version of Pages for the Mac that’s free for many users. But it’s dividing fans down the middle.

*** Microsoft: Apple Is To Blame For Reports Of Poor Windows Battery Life ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2057938/microsoft-apple-is-to-blame-for-reports-of-poor-windows-battery-life.html#tk.rss_all>
Mark Hachman, Macworld

> Apple's Boot Camp provides a thin layer of code between the operating system and the Mac hardware itself, along with drivers to access the Mac's hardware. Each driver is a bit of code that controls individual components, such as the Wi-Fi radio, for example, or the laptop’s display. But according to Microsoft, the basic Boot Camp installation uses generic or at least un-optimized drivers.

> And that can make a difference, Aul said. “Device firmware and buses optimized for particular power states can have a huge impact on battery life if you have something like a radio” that’s not properly tuned, he said.

*** The iPad Air ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2013/10/the_ipad_air>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> An obsession with treating “tablets” as an entirely new and separate product category is blinding some observers from what is really going on with the iPad — it is taking over a large segment of the PC industry. As iPad sales have grown, PC sales have contracted. I expect the iPad Air to accelerate both trends — the growth in iPad sales, and the contraction of the PC market.

*** iPad Air Benchmarks ***
<http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2013/10/ipad-air-benchmarks/>
John Poole, Primate Labs

> From a performance standpoint the iPad Air is a great upgrade to the iPad (4th Generation). With most recent Mac updates showing only modest performance improvements, it's exciting to see iOS devices do the opposite with substantial improvements between generations.

*** First Look: The Next Issue Digital Magazine Service Arrives On iPhone ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/first-look-the-next-issue-digital-magazine-service-arrives-on-iphone>
Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice

> First launched in 2012, Next Issue offers subscribers unlimited access to more than 120 of the best and most read magazines in the world, including Sports Illustrated, Vanity Fair, and Wired.

*** The iPad Air Review ***
<http://anandtech.com/show/7460/apple-ipad-air-review>
Anand Lal Shimpi, AnandTech

> The iPad Air is the most significant upgrade to the 9.7-inch iPad in its history. It’s lighter, more portable, more usable and faster than any previous iPad. It doesn’t fundamentally change what you can do with a tablet, but if you’re in the market for one the iPad Air really is the best iPad to date. Competition is definitely more stiff among the smaller tablets thanks to the Nexus 7, but in the nearly 10-inch tablet space it seems like Apple is going to continue to enjoy a great position there.

*** Speed And Power Packed Into A Thin iPad Air ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20131029/speed-and-power-packed-into-a-thin-ipad-air/>
Walt Mossberg, All Things D

> But this new iPad Air just kept going, clocking a battery life of 12 hours and 13 minutes, which exceeded Apple’s claim by more than 20 percent. The company says its A7 chip, combined with the fact it controls its own operating system, gives the new iPad the ability to tailor under-the-hood processes so unneeded drains on the battery can be minimized.

> Bottom line: If you can afford it, the new iPad Air is the tablet I recommend, hands down.

*** Review: iPad Air ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/10/29/review-ipad-air/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> If you have decent sized hands you can type with two thumbs on the iPad in portrait, something I wasn’t really able to do with the last generation iPad without a lot of stretching. Clearly a full-size iPad is not something you will be thumb typing with all the time1, but it does give you an idea of how much smaller the iPad Air is.

*** The iPad Air –A Truly Mass Market Personal Computer ***
<http://techpinions.com/the-ipad-air-a-truly-mass-market-personal-computer/24582>
Ben Bajarin, TechPinions

> The iPad Mini weighs .69 pounds and the iPad Air weighs 1 pound. But when you hold them at the same time, the weight difference feels negligible. The iPad Air distributes its weight in a way that holding it and using it feels about as light as the iPad Mini.

> The iPad Air is easily the best designed iPad yet.

*** Apple Claim That iCloud Can Store Passwords “Only Locally” Seems To Be False ***
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/apple-claim-that-icloud-can-store-passwords-only-locally-seems-to-be-false/>
Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica

> Syncing passwords over the cloud is exactly how iCloud Keychain is supposed to work. What's surprising is Apple's claim that it might work in some other way, just because a user chooses a different method of protecting their data in the cloud.

*** Shortened Battery Life Found In Some New iPhones ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/29/shortened-battery-life-found-in-some-new-iphones/?_r=2&>
Brian X. Chen, New York Times

> The Apple iPhone 5S is supposed to have significantly longer battery life than its predecessors. But for a small number of the new models, a manufacturing defect has caused the battery to drain quickly, according to the company.

> “We recently discovered a manufacturing issue affecting a very limited number of iPhone 5S devices that could cause the battery to take longer to charge or result in reduced battery life,” said Teresa Brewer, an Apple spokeswoman. “We are reaching out to customers with affected phones and will provide them with a replacement phone.

*** Amazon's Cloud Player Music App Now Available For OS X ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/29/5042294/amazon-cloud-player-now-available-for-mac>
Chris Welch, The Verge

*** My Ultimate Developer And Power Users Tool List For OS X (2013 Edition) ***
<http://carpeaqua.com/2013/10/27/my-ultimate-developer-and-power-users-tool-list-for-os-x-2013-edition-/>
Justin Williams, Carpeaqua

> This year’s edition of the list takes into account the new tools I am using as part of my transition to working exclusively on iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks, as well as an amateur designer.

*** Apple Mail “Bug” Turns Out To Be User Script After All ***
<http://blog.fastmail.fm/2013/10/29/apple-mail-bug-turns-out-to-be-user-script-after-all/>
FastMail Weblog

> The OS X Mail team have been really helpful in tracking this down. I put them in direct contact with the user to do further debugging. A very embarassed user discovered an applescript he wrote years ago to move mail from OS X Mail’s “semantic junk” folder to the real Junk folder at FastMail where our bayes trainer could learn from it.

*** No, Apple's Not Trying To "Bust Your Phone" ***
<http://gizmodo.com/no-apples-not-trying-to-bust-your-phone-1453999009>
Brian Barrett, Gizmodo

> I don't doubt that Rampell is coming from a place of genuine frustration. But it's misinformed, and worse, misleading. Technology becomes obsolete. Batteries don't last forever. That's not exclusively Apple's problem, nor is it exclusively Apple's fault. And the only thing busting your phone is the steady march of progress.

*** Review: Flamingo For Mac Looks To Improve On Messages For Mac ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/29/review-flamingo-for-mac-looks-to-improve-on-messages-for-mac/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

> Flamingo is a solid and useful chat client that provides a large improvement over Apple’s messaging solution on the Mac. If you use Google Hangouts or Facebook chat often, you should absolutely give this app a look.

*** Adobe Security Breach Worse Than Originally Thought ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2059002/adobe-security-breach-worse-than-originally-thought.html#tk.rss_all>
Jared Newman, Macworld

> This month’s security breach at Adobe is turning out to be much more widespread than the company first let on. At least 38 million users have been affected by the early October incident.

*** OS X 10.9 Brings Fast But Choppy Thunderbolt Networking ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9-brings-fast-but-choppy-thunderbolt-networking/>
Iljitsch Van Beijnum, Ars Technica

> If you open your network settings in the System Preferences after upgrading to OS X 10.9 "Mavericks", you'll be informed that a new "Thunderbolt Bridge" network interface was added to the system. So it's now possible to network two Macs over Thunderbolt. Let's take our new network for a spin.

*** Twitter Apps For iOS, Android And Web Get In-Stream Video And Image Previews ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/29/twitter-apps-for-ios-android-and-web-get-in-stream-video-and-image-previews/>
Matthew Panzarino, TechCrunch

*** As I Lay Lying ***
<http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115364/lying-down-desks-instead-standing-desks>