[MyAppleMenu] Oct 29, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 29 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** New Vulnerability Found In Apps Using Wi-Fi ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/29/new-vulnerability-found-in-apps-using-wi-fi/?hp&_r=0>
Nicole Perlroth, New York Times

> On Tuesday, mobile security researchers will demonstrate a simple attack that exploits a vulnerability in the code within apps that run on Apple’s iOS operating system. The vulnerability allows attackers to persistently alter the server URL from which a mobile app loads its data, so that instead of loading data from realserver.com, for instance, the attack makes the app load data from attacker.com, without the victim knowing. Attackers could use that data to load malicious links, or insert fake, market-moving news into a news app.

*** iTunes Radio Normalizes Playback Volume With Sound Check ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/itunes-radio-normalizes-playback-volume-with-sound-check/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** Game Center Now Allows Developers To Give Cheats The Red Card ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/29/games-center-update-allows-developers-to-give-cheats-the-red-card/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> iOS 7 introduced a number of new developer tools to help block Leaderboard spam, including the ability to set realistic maximum scores and reject unsigned submissions. This latest addition goes one step further in allowing developers to directly zap fake scores after the event.

*** Microsoft Gives Bing The iOS 7 Treatment Along With New Logo And Color Palette ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/microsoft-gives-bing-the-ios-7-treatment-along-with-new-logo-and-color-palette>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple: The iPhone 5C Is Our 'Mid-tier' Model ***
<http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/28/apple-the-iphone-5c-is-our-mid-tier-model/>
Marc Perton, Engadget

*** Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks Review ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/28/5036102/mac-os-x-10-9-mavericks-review>
Dann Berg, The Verge

> Everyone should upgrade to Mavericks, though. There's no good reason not to — it's free, it's faster, it has a few new and improved apps. You'll probably see your battery life improve after a few days. But don't expect a radical rethinking of what a desktop computer can or should be — that job seems destined for a future version of iOS.

*** Apple Hasn't Demoed An iPad On Stage All Year ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-hasnt-demoed-ipad-stage-all-year>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

*** Popular To-Do Apps Clear, Clear+ Gain Background Refresh Option ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/popular-to-do-apps-clear-clear-gain-background-refresh-option>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

*** Intensify Is A Powerful Image Editor For Mac OS ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/28/intensify-is-a-powerful-image-editor-for-mac-os/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> Intensify is a new Mac app designed to dramatically enhance your images without requiring you to have deep knowledge of editing and adjustments. I would put it solidly between the iPhoto's editing tools and Photoshop.

*** The Great Apple Lull ***
<http://www.splatf.com/2013/10/apple-lull/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+splatf+%28SplatF%29>
Dan Frommer, SplatF

> I’d say give it another year. Tim Cook has now been chumming the water for a while, and if Apple was just going to keep rolling out iterative updates to the iPhone and iPad until we all fell asleep, it’d be a waste to keep bringing up the whole “new categories” line. It’s not like he just showed up when Steve Jobs retired. Tim has been around this whole time, and doesn’t seem like the bullshit-artist type.

*** Apple: Future Versions Of OS X To Be Free, $900M Increase In Revenue Deferral Due To Free Software ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/28/apple-says-future-versions-of-os-x-will-be-free-notes-900m-increase-in-costs-from-free-software/>
Matthew Panzarino, TechCrunch

> Oppenheimer’s statements during the call indicate that future versions of OS X will also be free. This, along with iWork updates and free copies for each purchaser of Mac and iOS hardware, would contribute to a $900 million sequential increase in net revenue deferred for software upgrade rights and non-software services in the December quarter.

*** Apple Completed 15 'Strategic' Acquisitions In Fiscal 2013 ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/28/apple-completed-15-strategic-acquisitions-in-fiscal-2013/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> According to Tim Cook, Apple has "great products" coming in categories that Apple does not currently participate in.

*** Apple CEO: We've Locked Up 94% Of Education Tablet Market ***
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57609699-37/apple-ceo-weve-locked-up-94-of-education-tablet-market/>
Roger Cheng, CNET

> "I've never seen a market share that high before," Cook said Monday during a conference call with analysts. [He] said the education business represented a potential $1 billion market for Apple.

*** Apple Reports $7.5 Billion Fourth Quarter Profit ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/10/28/apple-reports-7-5-billion-fourth-quarter-profit/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> Apple on Monday reported its fourth quarter results, posting revenue of $37.5 billion and a profit of $7.5 billion. This compares to revenue of $36 billion and net profit of $8.2 billion in the year-ago quarter.

*** Mac Sales Falling, But Falling Less Than PCs ***
<http://www.imore.com/mac-sales-falling-still-buck-industry-trends>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> For Apple's fourth quarter for its fiscal year 2013, Mac sales were down year over year, but Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer says that the Mac is still doing better than - and gaining marketshare against - the PC. Mac sales saw a 7 percent drop year over year, but market research firm IDC reports that the PC market overall saw a 10 percent decline.

*** Mysterious Mac Pro Posters Appear ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14244?rss>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

*** Glass Staircase Tread Crashes At New Store ***
<http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2013/10/25/glass-staircase-tread-crashes-at-new-store/>
IfoApplestore.com

> Just 23 hours before the Saturday morning grand opening of the Shanghai iapm (China) Apple store, a glass staircase tread from the spiral staircase linking the store’s two levels broke and damaged the floor underneath. According to people waiting for the grand opening, the tread fell out of its mounting at about 10 a.m. and crashed in pieces on the stone flooring.

*** Iphone Touchscreen Accuracy – A Lesson In Understanding Test Requirements And Goals ***
<http://www.neglectedpotential.com/2013/10/iphone-touchscreen-accuracy/>
Neglected Poential

*** Why Apple Wants To Bust Your iPhone ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/magazine/why-apple-wants-to-bust-your-iphone.html?_r=1&emc=rss&partner=rss&>
Catherine Rampell, New York Times

> When major innovations remain out of reach, and degrading durability threatens to tick off loyal customers, companies like Apple can still take a cue from the fashion industry. If you can brainwash consumers into developing new tastes that make the old stuff look uncool for aesthetic rather than functional reasons, you still have a shot at harvesting more sales from your existing customer base. But it seems Apple may have already figured this out too. Just check out the wait times for the iPhone 5S in that shiny new gold color.

*** Radios Going Bump In The Night ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article10281301.aspx>
Colin Fleming, The Smart Set

> By the 1960’s listening to stories on the radio might have seemed square, but not if it was the wonderful and weird terrors of the work of Erik Bauersfeld.

*** The Reef: A Passionate History, By Iain McCalman – Book Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/29/the-reef-a-passionate-history-by-iain-mccalman-book-review>
Miriam Cosic, The Guardian