[MyAppleMenu] Oct 28, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 28 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Parallels 9 And Fusion 6 Run Neck And Neck In Virtualization Contest ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2055442/parallels-9-and-fusion-6-run-neck-and-neck-in-virtualization-contest.html#tk.rss_all>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

> Both Fusion and Parallels do an amazing job of turning your Mac into a multi-OS powerhouse. Reaching a decision about which one is better is nearly impossible, as they share many features, perform similarly, and generally do the same things. My advice from last year holds: Download both programs’ free trials, test them with your hardware and software, and pick the one that works better for you. You really can’t go wrong either way.

*** How To Use iCloud Keychain ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2058081/how-to-use-icloud-keychain.html#tk.rss_all>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

*** Sherlocked: How Mavericks Is Making Some Apps Obsolete ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/28/sherlocked-how-mavericks-is-making-some-apps-obsolete>
Alex Hern, The Guardian

> It's a common refrain amongst developers placed in a sticky situation. "There's a huge list of other stuff that Moom does that Mavericks doesn't," says Rob Griffiths, a partner at developers Many Tricks. Moom, one of the company's programs, is favoured by users who have multiple monitors and want to have a different app running full-screen on each – a feature now built in to Mavericks.

> "You can lay out your windows as you like, save that layout, and call it up when you wish. You can even have the layout activate automatically when you add or remove a display, as many do with laptops … I think you get the idea: we're not worried about Mavericks impacting Moom in any negative way."

*** Livescribe's Beautiful New Smartpen Turns Pen And Paper Into Apps And Pixels ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/28/5035776/livescribe-3-smartpen-pen-and-paper-pixels>
David Pierce, The Verge

> We may be constantly staring into our phones and laptops, but Livescribe CEO Gilles Bouchard says pen and paper are more popular than ever — and he has data to back it up. We want to write and draw the way we always have, he says, but we also want all the sharing, instant access, and searchability that come with our many apps and websites. So Bouchard and Livescribe set out to build a device to bridge that gap, and today it's announcing the result — the new Livescribe 3.

*** Alfred 2.1 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14241?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

*** iPad Art Gains Recognition In New Hockney Exhibit ***
<http://www.the-review.com/ap%20general%20news/2013/10/27/ipad-art-gains-recognition-in-new-hockney-exhibit>
Martha Mendoza, Associated Press

> Happily hunched over his iPad, Britain's most celebrated living artist David Hockney is pioneering in the art world again, turning his index finger into a paintbrush that he uses to swipe across a touch screen to create vibrant landscapes, colorful forests and richly layered scenes.

*** Review: Refinements Add Up In New Mac System ***
<http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/oct/27/us-tec-digital-life-tech-test-apple-mac-os-maveric/>
Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press

> Mavericks goes far in extending an already powerful operating system for desktops and laptops, without taking away the aspects that makes it easy to use.

*** Review: RoboMouse HD Is A Classic Strategy Game Reinvented For The iPad ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/27/review-robomouse-hd-is-a-classic-strategy-game-reinvented-for-the-ipad/>
Sarah Guarino, 9 To 5 Mac

> RoboMouse HD is a new iPad strategy and tower-defense game from LongKoo Studio. It features a straightforward premise and easy-to-pickup gameplay mechanic that can be quickly learned, but takes time to master. While the strategy game genre is not lacking for entries, RoboMouse HD is a fun addition to the existing landscape that can provide hours of fun.

*** What Apple Could Learn From McDonald’s Is… Architecture? ***
<http://qz.com/139235/what-apple-could-learn-from-mcdonalds-is-architecture/>
Philip A. Stephenson, Quartz

> 1) Everything gets old.<br/>

> 2) Change is inevitable.

Well... I sure hope Apple has enough money to revamp its stores when the current design doesn't cut it anymore.

*** Mac OS 10.9 – Infinity Times Your Spam ***
<http://blog.fastmail.fm/2013/10/26/mac-os-10-9-infinity-times-your-spam/>
FastMail Weblog

*** Did Mavericks Kill Your SMB Network Drive Access? Here's A Fix ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/27/did-mavericks-kill-your-network-drive-access-heres-a-fix/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** iMac SMC Firmware Update 1.1 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14234>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> The release improves the Power Nap feature in OS X 10.9 Mavericks so that it runs silently while your iMac is sleeping without spinning the fan.

*** iOS Daylight Savings Time Bug Strikes Again ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/27/ios-daylight-savings-time-bug-strikes-again/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> Though iOS 7 devices did indeed roll back the clocks automatically as they were supposed to, when users open the Calendar app and look at Day view the current time line appears one hour after the actual time -- even though it displays the right time.

*** iPad Air Vs. MacBook Air: Which Apple Portable Should You Get? ***
<http://www.imore.com/ipad-air-vs-macbook-air-which-apple-portable-should-you-get>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> Both are ultra light, super thin, and incredibly long lasting, but one has a keyboard and runs OS X and the other a multitouch and iOS 7. Both can be absolutely killer on a plane, in an office, or around the house. But which one is better for you?

*** Ryan Jones On Directing Weather Line For iPhone ***
<http://www.imore.com/ryan-jones-directing-weather-line-iphone>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> The director for Weather Line, Ryan Jones, was gracious enough to expound on why the world needed another weather app, what iOS 7 allowed them to do with it, and what his role entailed.

*** Enabling System-Controlling Utilities In Mavericks ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14229?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> LaunchBar, TextExpander, Keyboard Maestro, RescueTime — these and many other utilities have one thing in common: they rely on Mac OS X’s support for “assistive devices” to perform tasks that are normally forbidden to applications.

*** Forging An Art Market In China ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/china-art-fraud/>
David Barboza, Graham Bowley And Amanda Cox, New York Times

> When the hammer came down at an evening auction during China Guardian’s spring sale in May 2011, “Eagle Standing on a Pine Tree,” a 1946 ink painting by Qi Baishi, one of China’s 20th-century masters, had drawn a startling price: $65.4 million. No Chinese painting had ever fetched so much at auction, and, by the end of the year, the sale appeared to have global implications, helping China surpass the United States as the world’s biggest art and auction market.

> But two years after the auction, Qi Baishi’s masterpiece is still languishing in a warehouse in Beijing. The winning bidder has refused to pay for the piece since doubts were raised about its authenticity.

*** Lou Reed: The Rolling Stone Interview (May 4, 1989) ***
<http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lou-reed-the-rolling-stone-interview-19890504>
David Fricke, Rolling Stone

> Reed talks about the Velvet Underground, Andy Warhol and his new album, the scathingly brilliant "New York".

*** The Value Of Reading Novels ***
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-shmuly-yanklowitz/reading-novels_b_4168344.html>
Shmuly Yanklowitz, The Huffington Post

> Powerful novels demand that we slow down and process how we are creating and destroying in our lives. The rabbis taught that amidst so much destructive behavior we must stop and reflect upon the world we exist in.

*** Weight Watchers ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/10/this-week-in-fiction-thomas-mcguane-1.html>
Thomas McGuane, New Yorker

*** “The Luminaries”: A Gothic Cathedral Of Plot ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/10/27/the_luminaries_a_gothic_cathedral_of_plot/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> From the first five pages of “The Luminaries,” it’s evident that Catton’s model is the Victorian “sensation novel,” in which middle-class characters were suddenly confronted with alarming, inexplicable and uncanny events whose true causes and (usually scandalous) nature are gradually revealed in the course of the story.

*** Why Readers Love Big Biographies ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/10/27/why_readers_love_big_biographies/>
Scott Porch, Salon

> It's aspirational. Says one publisher, we hope "there’s something about genius [...] that can rub off."

*** The Man Who Would Teach Machines To Think ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/11/the-man-who-would-teach-machines-to-think/309529/?src=longreads>
James Somers, The Atlantic

> Douglas Hofstadter, the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of Gödel, Escher, Bach, thinks we've lost sight of what artificial intelligence really means. His stubborn quest to replicate the human mind.

*** Clock Change Challenge ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/27/clock-change-challenge>
Rebekah Higgitt, The Guardian