[MyAppleMenu] Oct 31, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 31 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** MacBook Users Seeing 'Service Battery' Message After Mavericks Upgrade ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/macbook-users-seeing-service-battery-message-after-mavericks-upgrade-7000022588/>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

> It would appear that the recent spate of "Service Battery" warnings after installing Mavericks are either erroneous, or the new operating system is more sensitive to potential battery problems.

*** OS X Mavericks Having Data Issues On Some External Drives ***
<http://www.tomshardware.com/news/os-x-mavericks-external-drive-data-loss,24917.html>
Daniel Starkey, Tom's Hardware

> According to growing complaints from the Apple Support Communities forum, some users have found that their Western Digital and LaCie hard drives have been turning up… empty after upgrading to the new OS.

*** Waiting For The Next Great Technology Critic ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/10/after-walt-mossberg-and-david-pogue-waiting-for-the-next-great-technology-critic.html?currentPage=all>
Matt Buchanan, New Yorker

> The point, ultimately, is that there is more need than ever for regular technology criticism in two of the most important newspapers in the country—but it needs to be deeper, and different, than what Pogue and Mossberg did.

*** Olloclip 4-In-1 iPhone Lens Review: Creative Possibilities Times Four ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2059232/olloclip-4-in-1-iphone-lens-review-creative-possibilities-times-four.html#tk.rss_all>
Susie Ochs, Macworld

> The Olloclip 4-in-1 is a solid package, and it goes a long way in making you think of your iPhone as a real camera instead of just a phone that takes pictures.

*** Acclaimed Notebook Calculator App Soulver Finally Updated And Redesigned For iOS 7 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/acclaimed-notebook-calculator-app-soulver-finally-updated-and-redesigned-for-ios-7>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** iPhoto 9.5 Review: Uninspiring Mavericks Update Doesn't Change Enough ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2058702/iphoto-9-5-review-uninspiring-mavericks-update-doesnt-change-enough.html#tk.rss_all>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> That said, the improved connections with iCloud and the inclusion of new Photo Stream capabilities—really more an iCloud feature than an iPhoto feature—are welcome, as are any performance improvements as a result of 64-bit support. However, users pining for a refreshed app with an updated interface, along with a few more creative bells and whistles, may be disappointed with this solid but uninspiring update of Apple’s premiere consumer photo app. Hopefully, the next full scale release of iPhoto will deliver the high energy creative jolt that Apple is famous for.

*** Review: Hands On With The New Haswell Chip iMac ***
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9243689/Review_Hands_on_with_the_new_Haswell_chip_iMac?source=rss_operatingsystems&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+computerworld%2Fs%2Ffeed%2Ftopic%2F123+%28Computerworld+Mac+OS+News%29>
Michael deAgonia, Computerworld

> The current lineup should serve you well for years to come.

*** Pages 5.0 For Mac Review: Apple Writes A New Chapter For Its Word Processing App ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2059208/pages-5-0-for-mac-review-apple-writes-a-new-chapter-for-its-word-processing-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> I like the new Pages and I like it a lot. Not for a massive new set of features. Not because it’s completely stripped down. But because it appears that Apple is setting a foundation for amazing things to come.

*** Anomaly 2 Arrives For iOS With Promises Of PC-quality Gaming On Mobile ***
<http://www.imore.com/anomaly-2-arrives-ios-promises-pc-quality-gaming-mobile>
Chris Parsons, iMore

> Anomaly 2 takes the RTS tower offense concept from Anomaly Warzone Earth to the next level.

*** iPad Airs Start Arriving At Apple Stores And Resellers As Supply Expected To Be Plentiful ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/30/ipad-airs-start-arriving-at-apple-stores-and-resellers-as-supply-expected-to-be-plentiful/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> At Apple Stores, we’ve heard that multiple large stores across the United States have already received upwards of 500-1000 units of the iPad Air, indicating that the supply of the new tablet will likely be plentiful at launch. We’ve heard similar from resellers of iPads internationally with some chains indicating that they will have a solid number of iPad Airs on tap for Friday. These stores say even more supply is promised for the next couple of weeks…

*** Apple Says Fix Incoming For 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Trackpad & Keyboard Issues, Offers Interim Solution ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/30/apple-says-fix-incoming-for-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-trackpad-keyboard-issues-offers-interim-solution/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

> According to the new support page, Apple is aware of the issue and working on a permanent fix. The fix will likely come by way of a software update via the Mac App Store. Until it is released, the issue can be remedied by closing the computer for a full minute and then waking it back up.

*** Connect To SMB & NAS Network Shares In OS X Mavericks ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/30/connect-smb-nas-network-shares-os-x-mavericks/>
OS X Daily

*** The Stupidest Trend In Laptop Design Is... ***
<http://ramblingfoo.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-stupidest-trend-in-laptop-design-is.html>
Rambling Around Foo

> ... numpads on laptop keyboards.

*** Do Returns Diminish On Rereading And Re-rereading? ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2013/oct/31/re-reading-rereading-man-booker>
Stuart Kelly, The Guardian