[MyAppleMenu] Oct 18, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 18 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Kids Should Hack Their School-Provided iPads ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/10/l_a_school_ipad_program_students_should_hack_their_tablets.html>
Katherine Mangu-Ward, Slate

> That’s how they learn.

*** Pencil On Paper: Meet The Stylus For FiftyThree's Popular iPad Sketching App ***
<http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/18/pencil-stylus-fiftythree-paper-ipad-app/>
Matt Brian, Engadget

*** Apple: No, We Can’t Read Your iMessages (And We Don’t Want To, Either) ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20131018/apple-no-we-cant-read-your-imessages/?mod=tweet>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> “iMessage is not architected to allow Apple to read messages,” said Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller said in a statement to AllThingsD. “The research discussed theoretical vulnerabilities that would require Apple to re-engineer the iMessage system to exploit it, and Apple has no plans or intentions to do so.”

*** Yojimbo 4 Review: Stellar Information Manager Adds Better Sync (For A Fee) ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2054667/yojimbo-4-review-stellar-information-manager-adds-better-sync-for-a-fee.html#tk.rss_all>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> Yojimbo 4’s most compelling aspects are its ease of use and flexibility. You can employ it any way you want and be as granular as you like.

*** Facebook Updates iOS App With Post And Comment Editing ... And More ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/18/facebook-updates-ios-app-with-post-and-comment-editing-and-m/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** Fiery RSS Is A New RSS Client That's Specially Designed For iOS 7 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/fiery-rss-is-a-new-rss-client-thats-specially-designed-for-ios-7>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> More notably, it’s designed with the visual style of the latest iteration of Apple’s mobile operating system in mind. From its flat navigation to its simple icons, Fiery looks and feels right at home on iOS 7.

*** Six iPhones Tested, And They Can't Agree On True North ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2055380/six-iphones-tested-and-they-cant-agree-on-true-north.html#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith and Armando Rodriguez, Macworld

> On Thursday we ran a series of tests, and found the Compass app in both iOS 6 and iOS 7 reported screwy results across a wide range of iPhones—from the iPhone 4 to the 5s and 5c. We we re-calibrated each phone multiple times, we and often found the results changed wildely from one test to the next.

*** MacBook Air Flash Storage Drive Replacement Program ***
<http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/>
Apple

> Apple has determined that certain 64GB and 128GB flash storage drives used in the previous generation of MacBook Air systems may fail. These systems were sold between June 2012 through June 2013.

> To see if your drive may be affected, go to the Mac App Store, click on Updates and choose the MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.1. The firmware update will test your drive to see if it is affected.

*** Apple Retains Multitouch Patent Thanks To Patent Office Ruling, Forces Competition To Seek Alternatives ***
<http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/17/apple-patent-multitouch-uspto/>
Mariella Moon, Engadget

*** Code Signing And Mavericks ***
<http://furbo.org/2013/10/17/code-signing-and-mavericks/>
Craig Hockenberry, Furbo.org

> Very simply put, you can no longer sign a bundle (like your .app) if any nested bundle in that package is unsigned. These nested bundles are things like helper executables, embedded frameworks, plug-ins and XPC services.

*** Hate The Reminders App In iOS 7? Here Are The Best App Store Alternatives! ***
<http://www.imore.com/dont-default-reminders-app-ios-7-here-are-some-great-alternatives>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** 7 Handy Command Line Tips You Don’t Want To Miss ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/17/7-handy-command-line-tips/>
OS X Daily

> Read on, you’ll be downloading files, using a better directory listing, killing processes quicker, re-running prior commands as root, finding past commands, and creating new files on the fly in no time.

*** Microsoft Launches Remote Desktop For Android And iOS, Bringing The Windows Desktop To Phones And Tablets ***
<http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2013/10/17/microsoft-launches-remote-desktop-app-android-ios/>
Emil Protalinski, The Next Web

*** Researchers Challenge Apple's Claim Of Unbreakable iMessage Encryption ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2055640/researchers-challenge-apples-claim-of-unbreakable-imessage-encryption.html>
Jeremy Kirk, Macworld

> A close look at Apple’s iMessage system shows the company could easily intercept communications on the service despite its assurances to the contrary, researchers claimed Thursday at a security conference.

> Apple uses public key cryptography to encrypt iMessages between the sender and the recipient. But its system for managing public keys is opaque, the researchers said, making it impossible to know if iMessages are being sent to a third party such as the NSA.

Also:
• <a href="http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/contrary-to-public-claims-apple-can-read-your-imessages/">Contrary to public claims, Apple can read your iMessages</a> (Dan Goodin, Ars Technica)

*** First Magazine Advertisement For iPhone 5S Appears, Highlights Touch ID Sensor ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/17/first-magazine-advertisement-for-iphone-5s-appears-highlights-touch-id-sensor/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

*** Trouble At The Lab ***
<http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21588057-scientists-think-science-self-correcting-alarming-degree-it-not-trouble>